Accepted Solution

I/O Device Error Message

Hello. 

I bought an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer in the US. Opened it this morning, plugged in an all okay. Copied lots of holiday pics on to it from one laptop and then moved it to another machine. Tried to open it and received the message: 

F:\ is not accessible. 

The request could not be performed because of an I/O error. 

Tried to reformat the drive, but when I right click it doesn't do a thing. Any ideas in words of one syllable please? 

Regards Patrick

Sydney, Australia

Re: I/O Device Error Message

I too have a SanDisk 8 memory card and I am getting the same I/O error and am unable to download my pictures off the disk. Where you able to fix this problem yet? Please let me know!

Thanks,

Nancy

Patrick wrote:

Hello. 

I bought an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer in the US. Opened it this morning, plugged in an all okay. Copied lots of holiday pics on to it from one laptop and then moved it to another machine. Tried to open it and received the message: 

F:\ is not accessible. 

The request could not be performed because of an I/O error. 

Tried to reformat the drive, but when I right click it doesn't do a thing. Any ideas in words of one syllable please? 

Regards Patrick

Sydney, Australia

do you get the same i/o error on both computers now?

G'day

No matter what I did it wouldn't work. So I sent it back to the shop in the US and a friend changed it for me. Very frustrating.

Thanks

Patrick

I get exactly the same error when trying to access my 16GB Cruzer Contour.

The problem seems to be isolated to one particular (Vista) computer... 

I've had the same problem with 3 different 16GB Cruzer Contours, 2 were brand new out of the box; if you are persistent with SanDisk support they will send you a replacement drive; but in my case it didn't solve the problem. In each case I had tried the drive with 3 different computers. All 3 computers were Dells. This last time I tried it with an older IBM ThinkPad laptop and it works just fine. But I move it to any of the Dells and it fails. The Dells are Optiplex GX620 desktop, Latitude D630 notebook, and Precision Workstation 690; so fairly different hardware. All 4 machines run Win XP Pro SP3 fully patched. The Cruzer drive light is on steady when the drive is plugged into the IBM, in the Dells it is blinking. This is all in a large government computing office environment with Active Directory and mandatory security templates in place except for possibly the older IBM which may not have all of our current security settings in place. So I've wondered is there something special about the Dells or something in the security settings that is causing the failure.

In any case, what a pain. Beware these drives...

To SanDisk's credit, I have several of their high end camera cards and they've worked great.

Exactly the same here...   well almost...

I have the problem with a HP nw9440.

Managed to get the cruiser swapped, worked once then experienced the same problem.

As for the SanDisk Extreme III and IV CF cards for the camera, I can't beat them.

Unfortunately i've given up on the cruiser as a bad joke. U3 was a nice thought, but it's just too much of a problem.

A further follow up from my previous posting. I tried the 16 GB Cruzer at home on a Dell Dimension 8300, about 5 years old now, also Win XP Pro SP3, and the Cruzer failed. So I security settings in my work environment are not the problem. This makes 4 very different model Dells that the Cruzer fails in and one IBM laptop that the Cruzer works fine in. 

I have the same problem,

The drive cannot be used in any computer,

I can se the CD Drive for the u3, and the removable drive but the error appears,

I tried every kind of utility from disk managers to partition stuff, from dos, linux, windows,

The hardware is recognized but i guess the flash memory is not,

I don't know how U3 technology works but i think is it's fault,

Till now I was realy a fan of U3 and Sandisk, but $hit happends,

I finally found a partial work around on machines for which the 16 GB Cruzer Contour fails. If you go into the device manager which you can find in the computer management, there are several devices listed for the SanDisk Cruzer. Select the one under the DVD/CD-ROM Drives category, mine was called SanDisk Cruzer Contour USB Device. Right-clic on it and select the option to disable it. I think this will disable the U3 features of the flash drive but the basic storage features worked fine for me after making this change.