(anon)

Cannot save more than 5k on 8 GB Cruzer

I have several USB flash drives, and was thrilled to get one that would finally hold one of my VMWare images.

But wait... doesn't work. I tried every iteration I could think of.

I am attempting to copy a 5 GB VMWare VMDK image file but it beeps after less than a second, the error message "The disk in the destination drive is full" pop up.

Have not idea what to do next, other than send it back. There are no files on the flash drive. Windows reports 7.46 GB free on the empty drive.

I'm thinking that maybe if I sneak up on it when it's not loooking....

(anon)

Re: Cannot save more than 5k on 8 GB Cruzer

your 8gb cruzer was formated to FAT 32 out of the box, FAT32 has a 4GB size limit per file so the only way to get around this would be either to

a. format to NFTS ( will only be able to read on windows)

b. use a program to "split" the image into 4gb parts and join them after you transfered them to your destination drive, i recomend either winrar or HJSPLIT(free alternative)

obviously if you want to run the image from your drive you will need to format to NFTS

lucky you asked this question today because i had the same problem today lol

Message Edited by sandiskpls on 11-19-2008 09:15 PM
(anon)

So how do you format it to NFTS??? It only gives me the FAT32 option.

Thanks!

(anon)

same problem, cant format to NTFS...
(anon)

"I think you can format in NTFS if you go to Device Manager and set the policy of the USB Stick device to Optimize for Performance. The default is to optimize for Quick Removal, which restricts you to the FAT filesystem."

I got this from another forum, it works, i just got done workthing this magic, good luck!

(anon)

Do a right click on the drive for the Flash Drive,select properties,click on the hardware tab,select the Flash drive and click on properties again.

Click on policies and select optimize for performance.

Unplug and plug it back in again and you will get the NTFS option.

(anon)