Can I remove U3 completely and permanently?

I have here a Cruzer Micro 2GB stick, and by following the instructions I was able to delete (or so I thought) the annoying U3 CD-ROM drive.

However, when I came to use the stick in another PC - there was the drive again. I thought I removed it!! So I checked using the Drive Management on my PC (WinXP, by the way) and found that the fake CD-ROM drive is still there; it just doesn't have a drive letter on my PC. So the removal affected my PC only.

Is there any way of really, really removing the U3 software and the fake CD-ROM drive, such that it does not re-appear when the stick is used in another PC?

Are slide-function Cruzers available without U3 and other stuff, i.e. as a plain vanilla USB stick entirely devoid of 'free extra features' software?

Re: Can I remove U3 completely and permanently?

Um...what instructions did you follow? When you remove U3, it deletes all the U3 stuff and re-partitions the drive so that you never get the U3 System partition again. And I have a Micro 4GB that I've done this to, so I know it works. Try checking the U3 software for some option called "Remove" or "Uninstall" - I think most versions of U3 have the removal tool built in.

Re: Can I remove U3 completely and permanently?

You can also goto the SanDisk.com Website and download the U3 removal tool under downloads.

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DriverDownloads.aspx