(anon)

16GB Cruzer shows only 7GB

I just purchased 2 16GB Cruzers with U3.  The first one I opened indeed shows 16GB of space on it.  The second one only shows 7GB on it.  Any ideas how to regain the full space, or was this one mislabeled?

Thanks.

Cruzin

(anon)

Re: 16GB Cruzer shows only 7GB

Forgot to add that the first thing I did was remove the U3 as I'm going to use these for storage.

The first removed perfectly.  The second didn't automatically ask if I wanted to remove it, I had to go into the U3 and remove it.

It left all the files on it, so I erased them.  This is when I noticed the size discrepency.

I attempted to reformat the beast and it keeps coming up the same way with 7GB. (Fat32 & NTFS).

The option to remove the partition is not available in Disk Manager, so can't do that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cruzin

(anon)

When I plug both of my drives into the computer, the one that has 16GB of space shows up as:  SanDisk Cruzer USB Device

The problem one showing only 7.66GB shows up as:  SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device

My guess is that the Uninstall didn't work properly.  The one that shows 16GB after U3 removal, doesn't list the U3 in it's description.

The one that only shows 7.66GB still shows U3 in it's description.

Also, the one that has 7.66 GB of space is shown in the status as  (Active, Primary Partition) the one that has 16GB available only lists (Primary Partition). 

(anon)

e sure and download the latest version of the u3 installer and uninstaller from the sandisk website. use the installer to reinstall u3 and then the uninstaller to remove u3. you should be set back to the original capacity. if it does not work google search hp disk storage format tool. download that and use it to format the drive. it should detect the maximum partition size and fix the cruzer.
(anon)

Well, I started this reply to you telling you that I was way ahead of you.   I had downloaded the Install / uninstall programs for the U3 and I already had the HP format tool.  And I had tried that a couple times already.

I went ahead and installed again, uninstalled it, and when I pulled up the HP format tool, it showed 15+GB of space.

Now, after formatting, it shows 14.93GB of space.

Crap!  I did that to the wrong one.  I still have one that says 7GB.  :-(

Tell you what, I'll do it again, this time with the one that shows 7GB  :-)

Bob

(anon)

Ok, I installed the U3 lauchpad and the "F: drive" shows 7.65GB of space with 6.66MB on the CD Drive "E:".

Hmmm... The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool lists the device as a  SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 4.05 (7840MB)

It fomatted to  8,204,566,528 bytes.

When I put the other Cruzer in and open the HP USB Format tool, it shows the device as a SanDisk Cruzer 7.01 (15287MB).

Notice that the 8GB one says it is U3  & Micro.  The 16GB one is just a SanDisk Cruzer.

Both units are labeled on the outside as:   SDCZ6-016G  and on the other side are maked Micro 16GB.

I think someone put the wrong innerds into the wrong plastic case.  I really got one 16GB and one 8GB drives.  :-(

Thanks,

Bob