Sansa Clip + and 8GB MicroSD Not Working

Hi all, I just bought the Clip + 8GB Version. I wanted to add another 8GB with the MicroSD card slot.

However, as soon as I place the card in the slot the player freezes. I tried restarting it several times to see if it’ll work, it does not. Can anyone help me out with this, had I known that this would be an issue, I would not have bought this MP3 Player. 

My MicroSD card is a Ridata 8GB Class 6 SDHC. I tried it with FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. Nothing worked. Please Help!

Thanks,

Josh

Edit: I’ve searched all around the forums, and I didn’t find a final response if it works or not. This SD Card works perfect in everything else, from my phone to my computer, and it was purchased from a reputable online retailer.

1 Like

Some makes of cards have had issues (I recall another brand as well, although I can’t recall which).  I wonder if you might want to speak directly with SanDisk Customer Service about this. 

In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

Thank you very much Miikerman, I will try and get another brand of SD card to test out.

I still think that it’s BS. They should most deffinitely come out with a firmware upgrade that can address this issue.

I’ve never experienced any problem with any  “Brand” of SD cards. Is this sort of marketing scam that they are pulling off? If it is, I most certainly plan on returning this product, and buying one from a more reputable manufacturer.

Thanks,

Josh

I’ve also heard of issues with Kingston cards on the Fuze, with video.  It just seems to be something that happens, no malice intended.

I’ve used both SanDisk and Polaroid/A-Data cards on my Clip+ without any issue.  SanDisk cards seem to be of high quality, and Polaroid/A-Data cards less expensive but without any issue for me.  (Of course, you need to take care as to fake cards.)  I don’t think I would buy a card, for my Clip or another device, without being able to easily return it, if need be, having heard what I’ve heard as to quality/compatibility issues.

It’s sad the issue exists–something that the industry should be looking at, given the supposed certification for cards. 

A source to keep your eye on:  frys.com periodically has been having 16GB Polaroid microSDHC cards for $18 after rebate (an easy and dependable rebate–I got mine in 2 weeks), with $1.99 shipping; it lists its weekly sales late Thursday eve/Fri.  It’s also had 8GB cards for $14 after rebate, I believe.

one more thing to try is to download the microsd card formatting software from the SD Card website…

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

I was led to believe that it will do a better job of formatting than formatting it using Windows.

Thank you everyone for the help. I will use a different card to test out.

I’ve also tried the official SD card formatting tool, to no avail.

Thanks anyway for the helpful suggestions.

Josh,

Same problem here.  Just bought four 2GB “DaneElec” cards from CircuitCity.  The work just fine in the card reader, and the SD formatting tool is fine with them too, but the Clip+ is totally unpredicatable with them.  More specifically:

1. The first card I loaded with a series of language-learning MP3s.  Just dumped them into the root directory, and that card seems to work okay.

2. The second card I did the same thing, but with files from my music library, also all MP3s.  It detects but just comes up as “[Empty]” when I do the folder view.  Every time I put in the card when it’s not happy, the “refreshing media” goes by much too quickly.

3. I deleted most of the files (in the external reader) and suddenly it was able to see them, briefly.  The trick seemed to be that it only saw files with 8 character or less (FAT w/o LFN support?)

4. I tried to continue the process putting back only files which matched that convention, but the next time it wouldn’t read.  Again, 5 seconds or less in “refreshing media” and “[Empty]” under folders.

5. I can’t transfer files to the card using either WinAmp or WMP reliably – in both cases it transfers a few files and then reports errors.

6. If I load the card back into the external reader after the WinAmp/WMP transfers, I can see the files that got transferred, plus (sometimes) a bunch of other gibberish files.

Don’t know if any of this is helpful, but I thought it would at least warn people away from these particular SD cards, and possibly give enough information for a techie to diagnose the problem.  I personally feel that it is a Clip+ problem, because I was able to copy all the media files back off the card in the external reader before reformatting.  So the card is Windows (XP) compatible, but not SanDisk compatible.

Make sure to never insert or remove a card when the player is on. Don’t put all the files in the root. Use subfolders, but also don’t use a high level of nesting either. I suggest setting the usb mode on the player to msc. Turn off the player and insert the card. Make sure it clicks into place. Connect the player. Copy and paste folders of files to the music, podcasts, or audiobooks folder on the player.

I also feel that this is a problem specific to the Clip+.  I had a very similar problem with my 8GB Clip+ reading content I put on a 2GB genuine Sandisk microSD card.  Every other device in my home can read the content on that card but not the Clip+.  After almost four hours with on-line chat support, I received an RMA to return my 8GB Clip+.  The replacement arrived today.  I am very thankful that they sent me a new one and not a refurbished one.  It is currently charging right now.

Anyways, after I sent my 8GB Clip+ off for warranty.  My neice and nephew each got a 4GB Clip+ for there birthday (twins) last weekend.  Both of their 4GB Clip+ players could read and play the content on the exact same genuine Sandisk 2GB microSD card that my previous 8GB Clip+ could not read.  This is absolute proof that my 8GB Clip+ was defective.

I recommend getting a 2GB genuine Sandisk microSD card (they are dirt cheap and readily available) and try that.  If it doesn’t work, take your Clip+ back to where you bought it and get another one.  I made the mistake of waiting two days too long before testing this feature, so I had to go the warranty route.  Anyways, I now know that at least some of these players (maybe most) actually can read microSD cards, but it is a obvious that not all of them can - even though all of them should.

I will be testing my replacement 8GB Clip+ as soon as it is charged up.

I just realized I don’t have to wait for it to charge up to test it.  I can test it while it is plugged into the charger.  The replacement 8GB Clip+ works!   It can read the exact sam card that my original 8GB Clip+ could not read.

@tracyohus wrote:

I just realized I don’t have to wait for it to charge up to test it.  I can test it while it is plugged into the charger.  The replacement 8GB Clip+ works!   It can read the exact sam card that my original 8GB Clip+ could not read.

Probably shouldn’t be making a habit of inserting a memory card while the player is powered on, as it is when charging.

Unless you’re looking forward to exchanging it again because you shorted either the player or the card out. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@tracyohus wrote:

Probably shouldn’t be making a habit of inserting a memory card while the player is powered on, as it is when charging.

Unless you’re looking forward to exchanging it again because you shorted either the player or the card out. :wink:

Two things…  One, you can turn the player off while it is plugged into the charger.  Two, none of these three players I have available to check will recognize a card if you turn the player off before putting the card in.  They just stall when you do that.  Since all three of these brand new players do that - and do so with a genuine Sandisk card, this is a common characteristic of the player…  All three of these Clip+ players I have available to check will only recognise a card if you insert the card while the player is on.  My previous 8GB Clip+ would not recognise content on a card at all - no matter what…  Anyways, if you bother to watch the info videos from Sandisk, they clearly show cards being inserted into the player - and removed from the player - while the player ON.

@tracyohus wrote:

none of these three players I have available to check will recognize a card if you turn the player off before putting the card in.  They just stall when you do that.  Since all three of these brand new players do that - and do so with a genuine Sandisk card, this is a common characteristic of the player…  All three of these Clip+ players I have available to check will only recognise a card if you insert the card while the player is on.

Perhaps you should get another card since they’re so cheap nowadays.  Then you’ll see that the clip+ does recognize a card that’s inserted when it’s off.  I have a few Sandisk cards and they all are recognized when inserted with the player off.

@mags1230 wrote:

@tracyohus wrote:

none of these three players I have available to check will recognize a card if you turn the player off before putting the card in.  They just stall when you do that.  Since all three of these brand new players do that - and do so with a genuine Sandisk card, this is a common characteristic of the player…  All three of these Clip+ players I have available to check will only recognise a card if you insert the card while the player is on.

Perhaps you should get another card since they’re so cheap nowadays.  Then you’ll see that the clip+ does recognize a card that’s inserted when it’s off.  I have a few Sandisk cards and they all are recognized when inserted with the player off.

I have already done that - with multiple brand new genuine Sandisk cards on all three of these brand new players.  The Clip+ simply does not work the way you are describing.  Absolutely not.  The Clip+ does not start up properly when a card is inserted while the player off.  It will stall each and every time - with each and every card on all three of these brand new players.  All three work perfectly when cards are instered after the player is turned on…  Again, I refer you to the Sandisk info videos which clearly show cards being inserted into the player while the player is ON.

@tracyohus wrote:  

The Clip+ simply does not work the way you are describing.  Absolutely not.  The Clip+ does not start up properly when a card is inserted while the player off.  It will stall each and every time - with each and every card on all three of these brand new players. 

Funny, mine does (and always has). I have never experienced a ‘stall’ as you describe. And if what you say is true, I’m sure we would have heard from many more people before you complaining of the same thing. To date, I believe you are the only one.

@tapeworm wrote:

@tracyohus wrote:  

The Clip+ simply does not work the way you are describing.  Absolutely not.  The Clip+ does not start up properly when a card is inserted while the player off.  It will stall each and every time - with each and every card on all three of these brand new players. 

Funny, mine does (and always has). I have never experienced a ‘stall’ as you describe. And if what you say is true, I’m sure we would have heard from many more people before you complaining of the same thing. To date, I believe you are the only one.

I have to agree with Tapeworm here…my Clip+'s and Fuzes have always worked properly when I’ve inserted the cards with the players turned off. And I’ve seen the players freeze up when the card is inserted/removed with the player turned on.

You know what?  Whatever…

When I do it the way Sandisk demostrates how to do it, it works.  When I try to do it the way you folks claim it works, it does not work…  Now you folks want to get nasty about it - so I’m done with you.  Your “help” is worthless.

@tracyohus wrote:

When I do it the way Sandisk demostrates how to do it, it works.  When I try to do it the way you folks claim it works, it does not work…  Now you folks want to get nasty about it - so I’m done with you.  Your “help” is worthless.

No one is getting nasty about anything…we’re telling you how the players have always worked for us. If you choose not to believe more experienced users, then all I can do is wish you luck:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tracyohus wrote:

No one is getting nasty about anything…we’re telling you how the players have always worked for us. If you choose not to believe more experienced users, then all I can do is wish you luck:wink:

I am a stubborn redhead.  I am stubborn enough to run out to Best Buy and buy another player and a couple more cards just to find out if a forth player might work the way you are telling people is works…  As guess what?  It DOES NOT work the way you describe.  It  DOES  work exactly the way Sandisk demostrated in the info video.  Now thats four brand new players, multiple brand new geniune Sandisk cards and multiple host PC’s…  The evidence is heavily stacked against what you are saying.

@tracyohus wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tracyohus wrote:

I am a stubborn redhead.  I am stubborn enough to run out to Best Buy and buy another player and a couple more cards just to find out if a forth player might work the way you are telling people is works…  As guess what?  It DOES NOT work the way you describe.  It  DOES  work exactly the way Sandisk demostrated in the info video.  Now thats four brand new players, multiple brand new geniune Sandisk cards and multiple host PC’s…  The evidence is heavily stacked against what you are saying.

I don’t know what to tell you. I have 2 Clip+ and 2 Fuze…one of each has a 16GB SanDisk card in it. I just took the card from the one Clip+ and put it into the other, and did the same with the 2 Fuzes…and in both cases I got the “Refreshing your media” screen as they read the card, after which they worked perfectly fine.

I can’t help but be mystified by what you are experiencing…anyways, I’ve never even seen these SanDisk videos which you have talked about, so I guess I will look for them myself now, out of curiosity.

Update: I don’t know where those videos are, and I didn’t find them…