New version of Windows Media Player does not support ripping mp3...suggestions?

My home computer crashed and needed to be rebuilt with new os.  So I received the machine back with what I assume is a more recent release of Windows XP.  New but, as usual with MicroSofty, not improved.  Now they apparenty realize they do not make money from mp3 format and just stopped supporting it.  (imagine if Nikon stopped supporting jpeg format?  )They try to convince you how fantastic their new WMA file format is, and the make you go hunt for a bolt-on app that will actually rip mp3.  And where they send you does not even have an app to do this, that I can see. 

I have Lame installed but that won’t allow rips of mp3 either.

Any suggestions?

Uninstall WMP. Then Go to their Website and download and install that version. It has Mp3 Ripping (Last time I checked)

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

My home computer crashed and needed to be rebuilt with new os.  So I received the machine back with what I assume is a more recent release of Windows XP.

What version is it? WMP11 looks entirely different from WMP 10, and is quite confusing to navigate when you’re used to the older version, but ripping to .mp3 format should still be there.

RIGHT CLICK the little back bar uptop. Choose> SHOW CLASSIC MENUS or something like that. That should make it look a little more like WMP10.

I remember there was a version of WMP that did not rip MP3’s. 11 most certainly does, though. Make sure ALL, repeat ALL your Windows Updates have been done. Do the optional ones, too. Install and reboot until Win Update tells you there are NO MORE updates.

wmp 10.00.00.5048

I’m a bit vague on exactly where to to to obtain the updates.  

Should I REALLY uninstall WMP?  I thought that it was fairly deeply imbedded into Windows.

No.

Go here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

Install ELEVEN “on top of” 10. You have TEN.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

wmp 10.00.00.5048

I’m a bit vague on exactly where to to to obtain the updates.  

Should I REALLY uninstall WMP?  I thought that it was fairly deeply imbedded into Windows.

Just go to Microsoft.com and Search for WMP11, it will take care of the process.

Is 11 better than 10?  Does 10 have issues with ripping mp3? 

I guess at the root of if I don’t understand why the stock “10” won’t allow ripping to mp3.

I will take the advice Conversion…just curious as to what’s up.

It may be such a thing as the version you had installed was corrupt or incomplete. It could also be that your pc didnt recognize the drivers. What I would try is updating to 11, and if that works roll back to 10 (If you like it better) and then see if you could rip.

There was once a version where you had to manually install the LAME codec. I thought that was a LONG time ago, but maybe it was 10?

Regardless, 11 > 10. Install it already, and get to ripping. :wink:

WMP 10 will rip .mp3 OK. You should be able to switch it in Tools > Options… > Rip Music tab. In the middle of the box should be Rip Settings - Format: <drop down box>

MP3 will be the last (bottom) option.

But . . . WMP does not use the LAME encoder. It uses the Fraunhofer encoder instead.

@tapeworm wrote:

But . . . WMP does not use the LAME encoder. It uses the Fraunhofer encoder instead.

Also, WMP does not do VBR with MP3.

The casual listener may never notice the difference between the 2 encoders, but the LAME VBR can save you a ton of space on your players, and even the casual listener will appreciate that, I would think. :smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

The casual listener may never notice the difference between the 2 encoders, but the LAME VBR can save you a ton of space on your players, and even the casual listener will appreciate that, I would think. :smiley:

As well, .mp3’s ripped with WMP will not support gapless playback, if & when we ever see it incorporated into a firmware update for the Fuze and/or Clip. Gapless requires LAME encoding.

Just something to consider if this is important to you. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

As well, .mp3’s ripped with WMP will not support gapless playback, if & when we ever see it incorporated into a firmware update for the Fuze and/or Clip. Gapless requires LAME encoding.

Just something to consider if this is important to you. :wink:

Tape WMP 9 I believe had a LAME option. It could be installed.

Thanks.  Went to 11 and all is OK.

I just downloaded CDex and upgraded  the MP3 coding to LAME 3.98.2. That’s about as good as it gets MP3-wise, since I didn’t feel brave enough to try an alpha version of 3.99.

@marvin_martian wrote:
I just downloaded CDex and upgraded  the MP3 coding to LAME 3.98.2. That’s about as good as it gets MP3-wise, since I didn’t feel brave enough to try an alpha version of 3.99.

CDex was pretty good in it’s day; but it is showing it’s age.  If you have problems with CDex (more than a few have) I would suggest Exact Audio Copy…:wink:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

CDex was pretty good in it’s day; but it is showing it’s age.  If you have problems with CDex (more than a few have) I would suggest Exact Audio Copy…:wink:

That will certainly be next on the list if I do have an issue. However, since I decided not to re-rip most of my old CD’s, I won’t need to use it that often, since I can’t afford to buy CD’s all the time. And of course, Jamendo helps … I’ve already added 3.5 GB to my collection, and discovered whole new styles of music along the way. :smiley:

you can just install a converter for free and convert the wma files to mp3 and rip from there thats what we do we use avs

If at all possible, it’s always better to rerip to a compressed format rather than converting from one compressed format to another, in which case you’re losing further data.