Another term for "podcasts"?

@tapeworm wrote:

And just how many 'PODcasts are downloaded to i-PODS as opposed to other devices? These are just simple digital recordings of programs, lectures, speeches, etc. that are available to download and listen to at the user’s convenience in (usually) .mp3 format. So the fact that the majority are not recorded in Apple’s proprietary audio format would suggest that they should be referred to as something else. But Noooooo . . . everyone calls them ‘podcasts’! :angry:

What’s another name?  Let’s make one up here!

eta:  opps, I accidentally clicked solved on one of the suggestions… not a bad one either… :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 04-29-2009 10:19 AM

@dalaug234 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

And just how many 'PODcasts are downloaded to i-PODS as opposed to other devices? These are just simple digital recordings of programs, lectures, speeches, etc. that are available to download and listen to at the user’s convenience in (usually) .mp3 format. So the fact that the majority are not recorded in Apple’s proprietary audio format would suggest that they should be referred to as something else. But Noooooo . . . everyone calls them ‘podcasts’! :angry:

What’s another name?  Let’s make one up here!

I’ve wondered about this issue myself, because I listen to quite a few , and have been at a loss as to anything else to call them without having to explain what the hell I am talking about:wink:

All a podcast is is a downloadable online RSS based radio show. So Why not MP3 Radio?

@marvin_martian wrote:

I’ve wondered about this issue myself, because I listen to quite a few , and have been at a loss as to anything else to call them without having to explain what the hell I am talking about:wink:

Some people don’t know what a podcast even is… I didn’t at first…

Since it comes from broadcast (which explains it a lot better) maybe something with cast in it… [okay I had an idea and I lost it:stuck_out_tongue:]  And people do know what a broadcast is, whether a radio broadcast, news broadcast…

@dalaug234 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Some people don’t know what a podcast even is… I didn’t at first…

Since it comes from broadcast (which explains it a lot better) maybe something with cast in it… [okay I had an idea and I lost it:stuck_out_tongue:]  And people do know what a broadcast is, whether a radio broadcast, news broadcast…

Netcast? Webcast? 

@marvin_martian wrote:

Netcast? Webcast? 

I’d go for “NetCast” until something better comes along.  “Webcast” is already in use for on-line seminars or other real-time conferencing.  “Pod” isn’t really always applicable, since people do listen/watch them on PCs as well as PMPs. 

I know, since there are “ZenCasts” and “ZuneCasts”, we could just start calling them “SansaCasts”.:smileyvery-happy:   “SanCasts”?

Message Edited by jkj1962 on 01-25-2009 04:55 PM

How about RSSradio? Podcast is called what it is because Apple was the first to develop the technology. It ■■■■■ but oh well.

@jkj1962 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Netcast? Webcast? 

I’d go for “NetCast” until something better comes along.  “Webcast” is already in use for on-line seminars or other real-time conferencing.  “Pod” isn’t really always applicable, since people do listen/watch them on PCs as well as PMPs. 

I know, since there are “ZenCasts” and “ZuneCasts”, we could just start calling them “SansaCasts”.:smileyvery-happy:   “SanCasts”?

Message Edited by jkj1962 on 01-25-2009 04:55 PM

I had no idea about Zen and Zune casts…then again, I only have about 1/8 of the DAP’s that you have…lol

@conversionbox wrote:
How about RSSradio? Podcast is called what it is because Apple was the first to develop the technology. It ■■■■■ but oh well.

I still have the stereotype ingrained in my head of radio waves going through the air, not through cables…so it would be hard for me to call it that. However, they’ll most likely still be called “podcasts” for the foreseeable future, no matter what we think of here.

Marvin_Martian wrote:

I had no idea about Zen and Zune casts…then again, I only have about 1/8 of the DAP’s that you have…lol

That’s OK, I’m still looking for a pair of KSC75’s in a bricks and mortar store.  I’m interested, and I think I would like them, but I’d like to look at them up close first.  My local salvage store gets that type of thing in periodically.  Lots of post-Katrina merchandise.

I got mine at Radio Shack, but they were on clearance…at $5.47 !   But I haven’t been back so I don’t know if they’re still there.

That salvage store had a bunch of RS stuff awhile back…wish I’d know about them then, they might have had them.

They’re still available online, but closer to $20  than $5. Really nice sound, but the clips can bother the outer ear after awhile.

Who “solved” this?

I don’t think it’s solved …

but whatever…

Only 2 people have the ability to mark a post as an ‘Accepted Solution’; the original poster and a moderator or administrator.

Since you were the OP, and if you didn’t do it . . . well, there IS a new mod here you know.

If you don’t consider it solved, you as the OP, should be able to ‘dis-accept’ this as a solution in the Options. :wink:

Nope, didn’t do it, I promise!  But I could unmark it for you before Mom finds out…

µsansa

MP3 radio may not be such a bad term, although when one thinks of radio, they still think of a time bound broadcast, and often only catching a piece of a broadcast, and  missing the first part of it. Perhaps mp3 magazine, or mp3 article(or audio magazine or audio article) might in some cases be better. An article or magazine format implies that it will almost always be be utilized from the start, but that it might not be the most current information.

@jk98 wrote:

MP3 radio may not be such a bad term, although when one thinks of radio, they still think of a time bound broadcast, and often only catching a piece of a broadcast, and  missing the first part of it. Perhaps mp3 magazine, or mp3 article(or audio magazine or audio article) might in some cases be better. An article or magazine format implies that it will almost always be be utilized from the start, but that it might not be the most current information.

There are a lot of these “casts” that are not in MP3, so that term clearly won’t work. :smiley:

I like the suggestion of Audio Article. I think the use of RSS is important to these broadcasts so posssibly something with the refrence to RSS

you guys know about Xvid? its the primary competitor of DivX.  and if you didn’t notice, the name is just spelled backwards.

so what about DOPCAST or DOPeCAST?:smileyvery-happy: