replacement battery for Sansa Express

Where can I get one? Mine is dead after two years and I’d like to solder in a new one…

Sandisk doesn’t sell them, and I’ve never seen one for sale anywhere else.  If you’ve opened your Express, you might be able to Google the numbers on the battery.

If you haven’t yet opened it, here is a little info on how to:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2007/07/sandisk-sansa-express-disassembled.php

Message Edited by jkj1962 on 02-10-2009 08:57 AM

Hello everybody.  I have found a company in China that makes and sells the Lithium Polymer battery that fits the Sansa Express.  The battery is a 40mm X 20mm X 3mm, 3.7v 250 mAh battery.  I am currently awaiting a reply from them to see if they will sell the battery through Amazon or the like.  If any of you would like to purchase one of these please post a note saying so, so I can guage how much demand there would be for these.  Please note that replacing the battery is not particularly difficult but you will need to know how to solder so you can remove the old battery and re-solder the new battery plus you will need a tiny Phillips head screw driver to be able to open the Sansa Express.

I don’t know if you’re still asking about these, but I’d be interesting in getting a replacement battery. Thanks!

Hi KMuller… Sorry for the long delay.  I am moving and everything is in a state of chaos.  In fact the two Lithium Ion batteries that I have on the shelf for the Sansa Express are packed somewhere and it may be a few months before I get everything unpacked and I find them again.  The woman in China that I spoke to about this type of battery had three batteries of the correct size custom made for me.  She told me that it wasn’t economically feasable to make these batteries unless I could move thousands of them.  I doublt if I could do that.  You are the only person that responded to my post.  So, if you are interested in one of the two I have on the shelf I will notify you when I find them.  I’ll even mail it to you no charge.  I trust that you can handle fine mechanical disassembly and soldering.

Jim

Jim hae you found thoes batteries yet…Bernie

@jimofnyc wrote:

Hi KMuller… Sorry for the long delay.  I am moving and everything is in a state of chaos.  In fact the two Lithium Ion batteries that I have on the shelf for the Sansa Express are packed somewhere and it may be a few months before I get everything unpacked and I find them again.  The woman in China that I spoke to about this type of battery had three batteries of the correct size custom made for me.  She told me that it wasn’t economically feasable to make these batteries unless I could move thousands of them.  I doublt if I could do that.  You are the only person that responded to my post.  So, if you are interested in one of the two I have on the shelf I will notify you when I find them.  I’ll even mail it to you no charge.  I trust that you can handle fine mechanical disassembly and soldering.

Jim

Does any one have a spare battery or shold i dump it ?

@bigglessurf21 wrote:

Jim hae you found thoes batteries yet…Bernie

@jimofnyc wrote:

Jim

Jim do you have a battery ?

Bernie

Guys, like I said, I only have two batteries up for grabs.  But I have to find them first. I have moved out of my  house and everything is in storage.  Trust me when I find them you two will be the first to know.  I trust that you two have the necessary technical “chops” to perform this surgery.  I would hate that these two replacement batteries would get destroyed or the person doing the work ends up destroying their Sansa Express.

In order for this surgery to be sucessful you will need some experience trimming the battery wires to the right length, fine soldering with a needle point 20 watt soldering iron (no high wattage soldering guns) and dexterity with tiny phillips head screws.

Your results are dependent on your ability,  and, like I said: as soon as I find them I’ll let the two of you know so you can then supply me with a “ship to” address.  If you don’t think you can perform this brain surgery feel free to let this offer pass and let someone else get the battery.

Jim

OK everybody I found the two new batteries that fit the Sansa Express. It seems that we have more than two people here that want these batteries.  I am not sure how to work this out.  Let me say this: it is not particularly difficult to swap the battery.  So, if you have any mechanical inclination and some appropriate tools; small soldering iron, small phillips head screw driver (to fit the screws on the side with the usb plug, and some electrical tape you should be able to manage it.

It’s been awhile since I originally posted this thread, so lets see who responds and we’ll go from there.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I just saw this thread.  If you still have those batteries available I’d appreciate getting one from you.

Regards,

Curt

Curt - I have two batteries.  I hope you are up to the task of replacing the old battery.  Send me a private email message to: jimofnyc@gmail.com

Curt, Glad someone expressed interest in those batteries after all the frenzy when this started.  Contact me offline at jimofnyc@gmail.com for a “ship-to” address.

Jim

Curt:  PM me at “jimofnyc@gmail.com

Curt !!!  I was just passing through to see if anybody ever read this thread.  You are the only person to reply now that I’ve actually found these batteries.  I had these batteries custom made so they are “one offs”.  In China - if you promise to buy a thousand - they will make them any shape you want.  I didn’t think I could find a thousand Sansa Express users to make the project worthwhile so I ended up with only three prototype batteries.  The one I installed has worked wonderfully.  These last two have been sitting around for the last two years but they are probably OK.

Send me your mailing address to  jimofnyc@gmail.com  and I’ll drop one in the mail for you…GRATIS.

Jim

Today, the last battery goes in the mail to some lucky Sansa Express user.  So then this thread is officially closed.  Good luck to everyone! 

Jim Huste