e270 blue ring lights, no screen display, not recognized

The message from Windows, looking for the Tango Media Platform, is a reference to the firmware image needed for the PortalPlayer (now NVIDIA) processor used in the v1 e200 machines.  Tango refers to this original device firmware.

Manufacturing Mode is different from Recovery Mode.  Pressing the center button is used for restoring the I2C ROM firmware needed for the Sansa, which is done using the e200tool software (the Linux platform is needed for this process, there was apparently a Windows version at one time, but it was unstable).  Be sure to keep the button depressed at the point described in the e200tool process.

I always mention pressing the rewind << button when instructing folks about the manual MSC mode process, for the simple reason that if they are using a v1 (PortalPlayer) device, pressing the center button enables Manufacturing Mode, which we don’t need for that situation.  The v2 devices are happy to respond to the center button, as they have a different processor and no Recovery Mode.

An important quick note regarding the reserved partition.  If the Sansa will not boot, it’s entirely possible that a mechanical connection to the flash memory daughterboard can cause serious headaches.  To check this, remove the rear cover, and inspect the big black rectangle above the battery module.  You’ll see a grey foam block there, which keeps the daughterboard pressed inward.  Go ahead and give it a gentle press.  If the board clicks back down into its socket, you may have just solved your problem.  Back to our regularly scheduled program:

There are several good descriptions of the process needed to recover your device using the e200tool utility…I did a wee bit of searching, had to run to another computer that had the information for you.  Check this blog about fixing the Sansa with e200tool.  Of all the descriptions I’ve seen, this visual one is pretty cool.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-17-2010 06:47 PM