e260 freezes with Micro SD inserted

On my Sansa e260R-

With a micro SD card inserted, it takes about 8 minutes for the player to start up, and EVERY time it starts, itdisplayed ‘refresh database’ or whatever.

It works normally without the micro SD card inserted, but I’d like to figure this out for later on.

thx

Whenever there’s a memory card inserted in a v1 device (basically that’s what the ‘R’ unit is), it will refresh the database upon start-up.

There’s nothing wrong; that’s the way it works.

I just thought that having an extra 2 GB available would be good, but not if it takes 8 minutes to start the device.

I don’t know what the micro SD is really needed for, so I’ll just leave it out from now on. 

thx.

2GB is a 50% addition to the memory space on your player. And it will hold a sizable amount of music. Note too, that if you use Rockbox alternative firmware, you aren’t limited to the 2GB SD cards; you can use the SDHC format up to the current behemoth 32GB card.

You may want to check you ID3 tags for proper format and eliminate any extraneous information that is sometimes loaded in the Comments field. This can slow down the database refresh. There’s no way a 2GB card (even fully loaded and with a full internal memory) should trigger an 8 minute refresh. It should only be 3 - 4 minutes tops.

It’s really not that inconvenient.

2GB is a 50% addition to the memory space on your player. And it will hold a sizable amount of music. Note too, that if you use Rockbox alternative firmware, you aren’t limited to the 2GB SD cards; you can use the SDHC format up to the current behemoth 32GB card.

You may want to check your ID3 tags for proper format and eliminate any extraneous information that is sometimes loaded in the Comments field. This can slow down the database refresh. There’s no way a 2GB card (even fully loaded and with a full internal memory) should trigger an 8 minute refresh. It should only be 3 - 4 minutes tops.

It’s really not that inconvenient.