Where is Root Directory? I sure don't know

Directions for updating Clip Zip Firmware says

"Extract the clpza.bin file from the .zip file you just downloaded into a folder on your computer.

• Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip Zip"

In layman’s language please, exactly where do I find that “root directory” ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_directory

The top level of the Clip drive/folders–the level storing all the Clip’s various folders.

Sorry, but the two answers received don’t fit my non-nerd understanding of “layman’s language”

I would like to know where I take that unzipped file to

I mean is there a folder somewhere I put it in or ??

1 Like

It would be the drive folder that is assigned when you plug the player in to your computer with a USB cable.

So for example mine is showing as SANSA CLIPZ F: as a drive in Windows explorer. Click on that and you’re the ‘root directory’ or folder. So the root directory is F:  Sorry, but it doesn’t get any more basic than that,

1 Like

Slow down, I only have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering

I plugged in my player and under “Portable Devices” I see “Sansa Clip Zip 4GB”. When I click on that I see “Internal Memory”

Are you saying I should now take my unzipped “Upgrade Firmware” file and shovel it into “Internal Memory” ?

1 Like

1.  Attach player to computer.

2.  Open up a Windows File Explorer window (assuming you are on Windows).

3.  Double-click on the Clip drive, to open the Clip drive up.

What you now have open is the root level of the Clip player.

Sorry to be so dense on this subject but

I attached player to computer

I opened Windows Explorer

I see Libraries: “Documents”, “Music”, “Pictures” and “Videos”

I don’t see Clip Drive

Please help me get over this “hump” so I can learn something here

I don’t know what version of Windows you are on, but it should be something like this:

Open a Windows File Explorer window.  Under the View option on top, click on Navigation pane and click the Navigation pane option.  You now should see a bunch of selections in a left pane on the window, including one entitled This PC or Computer or something similar.  Your Clip should appear under that sectio. 

Recommended that you leave the Navigation pane option checked–a very useful way to get around your computer easily.

I don’t know what version of Windows you are on, but it should be something like this:

Open a Windows File Explorer window.  Under the View option on top, click on Navigation pane and click the Navigation pane option.  You now should see a bunch of selections in a left pane on the window, including one entitled This PC or Computer or something similar.  Your Clip should appear under that section. 

Recommended that you leave the Navigation pane option checked–a very useful way to get around your computer easily.

I’m using Windows 7

I just don’t see what you think I should see

“Open a Windows File Explorer window” doesn’t register with me

When I click on accessories I see “Windows Explorer”

When I click on that I see “Documents”   ----  no View option at top

To answer your previous question, if you can find your way back to that screen that shows “Internal Memory” then, yes that is where to drag that clipza.bin file.

This is mentioned on the page that describes how to manually install the firmware upgrades on your Clip Zip:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Sansa-Clip-Zip-Firmware-01-01-21/td-p/297767

You could also follow the instructions on that page about turning on MSC mode on your Clip Zip. This effectively turns the player into a standard USB device which will be easier to navigate in Windows explorer, and have a drive lettter assigned, but otherwise functions as before. You’ll need to unplug the clip zip before this operation, and plug it back in afterwards,

I dragged my unzipped new firmware file to Internal Memory and then removed player from computer.

Player did not indicate that any sort of download followed.

Was I supposed to remove the firmware already on the player?

I already had the latest firmware on my player, but “Sansa Support” insisted I should re-install that firmware.

All of this has to do with my inability to download NPR radio files to my Clip Zip Player.

“Sansa Support” plans to send me a replacement player. I’m not sure that is the solution.