USB port MSC mode malfunction

Hi:

I’ve got another issue going with a unit I just bought regarding “blips” or “skips” that occur while I’m playing music, but that’s another topic dealt (?) with elsewhere.

In an attempt to see if something was happening while I was transferring files, I changed the USB port mode to first the MTP mode and transferred a selection.  Seemed to be an improvement.  Went from 3 or 4 skips to 2 or 3, so I think there was an improvement.

Next I tried the MSC mode and then bad, bad things happened.  I got a error message on my PC, then the little unit’s screen went dark and I’m pretty sure I smelled something burning.  I quickly unplugged and checked the unit.  It was dead.  I packaged it for a return to the store when I thought to try a ‘reset’ by holding the on/off button down.  I held it down way past the 10 seconds and just when I was going to give up, the unit came back on.  Everything was still there so I set it back to the MTP mode and it worked as before.  I then tried the MSC setting again, and again the thing went dead and had to be manually reset.

Yes, I have the latest firmware downloaded into the unit.

Question: is this normal or is my unit defective?  Could this be why I’d getting ‘blips’ in my playback because there is something wrong with the USB interface circuits on the chip?

I think you got a bum unit. I’d return it and get another. No one else here has ever reported the ‘blips & skips’ problem you described in your other posts, and this player has been out for almost 2 years.

I think you got a bum unit. I’d return it and get another. No one else here has ever reported the ‘blips & skips’ problem you described in your other posts, and this player has been out for almost a year.

Before returining it, you might try reapplying the latest firmware–the firmware can become corrupted.  See the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum.  

OK, here is the latest:

I didn’t want to take the player back without it having a “hard failure” that I could show the store people so I selected the MSC mode and kept plugging it in to my USB port.  Of course I’d get a error message each time, but when I’d unplug, the player would still be operating – which was something new.  I did this several times hoping something would burn out and sure enough, the player stopped working.  I did a reset and then started over and would you believe it, everything started working perfectly and I was able to access the file structure.

I downloaded a selection that had “blipped” on me before while in the MSC mode, unplugged and then played it.  Absolutely perfect, no blips or chirps and it sounded beautiful.  I am so happy.

I have now transferred all my music using the MSC mode and so far all selections are without annoying chirps on them.  I don’t know what I did or what happened inside the player’s chip, but as far as I’m concerned, both this mode problem and the blipping problem are solved. 

I just hope it keeps working.:neutral_face:

There is one thing I did (actually 10 things I did) and that is to “cancel” the error message each time it popped up until I got a connection and was able to access the file structure of the device.

As mentioned in the other thread, something ain’t right, but it works and I’m happy.

Happiness is a good thing, and too often taken for granted. :slight_smile: