Sansa Fuze+

Thanks.  Folder Navigation is implemented – at least for Music.  

The implementation does seem limited and awkward to me – but I feel much more comfortable using the player.  Thanks.

Sansa Fuze+ Menu Structure Documentation:

The Sansa Fuze+ has 8 horizontally arranged top level menu choices (with only 1 visible at a time):

music / video / photo / radio / books / voice / card / settings

When at ‘music’, pressing center enters a submenu with 5 ways to select tracks (horizontally):

artists / albums / songs / genres / playlists [/ folders]

The new firmware supposedly also adds music navigation & selection by folder.

Press center to play the selected music file and display album cover art while listening.

Pressing back returns you to the music menu.

When at ‘video’, pressing center enters a submenu with 2 ways to select videos (horizontally):

A-Z / by duration

Pressing back returns you to the video menu.

When at ‘photo’, pressing center enters a submenu with 2 ways to select still photographs (horizontally):

A-Z / by date

Pressing back returns you to the photo menu.

When at ‘radio’, pressing center enters a submenu providing 2 ways to tune into FM stations (horizontally):

‘radio’ / presets

FM listening is immediately enabled in either FM station selection mode.

Manual tuning of FM stations and/or preset navigation is accomplised via the up/down arrows.

Holding center down makes or deletes a preset on the currently selected FM frequency.

Touching center brings up a 2nd level submenu with 7 vertical “options”:

Delete preset / Record radio / Play recordings / Auto scanning for presets / Seek mode / Delete all presets / Delete all recordings

Pressing back, returns you to the manual ‘radio’ tuning/listening submenu.

Pressing back again, returns you to the ‘radio’ menu.

However, when listening to the ‘radio’, a timeout takes you back to manual tuning/listening ‘radio’ submenu.

When at ‘books’, pressing center displays a submenu with 3 ways to select material (horizontally):

podcasts / audiobooks / audibles

Podcasts are grouped together vertically by Album Name. Select using vertical cursor and press center.

A third level menu will display individual episodes within an album. Select one using the vertical cursor.

Playback begins after center press. Right will jump to the next episode.

Pressing back 3 times returns you to the book menu. I don’t know how audiobooks or audibles work.

When at ‘voice’, pressing center enters a submenu with 2 tasks (horizontally):

record / play

The record screen has a vertical menu with 2 functions: Start recording / Stop

The play screen has a vertical menu containing a list of previous recordings to replay by pressing center.

Pressing back once returns you to the ‘voice’ menu.

When at ‘card’, pressing center gives an advertisement on SlotRadio when no uSD card is present.

I expect folder navigation for a removable SDcard when one is detected.

When at ‘settings’, pressing center gives a submenu with 21 options (vertically):

Music Settings / Video Settings / Photo Settings / Podcast&Book Settings / Radio Settings / Background / Backlight / Brightness / Power Saver / Sleep / Customize Menu / Equalizer / Replay Gain / Volume Level / Language / USB mode / Date / Time / Format / Restore / Info

Pressing back returns you to the ‘settings’ menu.

It was confusing to me so there I share my man page with you.

Othniel Graichen

1 Like

To Slotmonsta:

The documentation says that Ogg Vorbis is a supported format.  Ogg Vorbis is a codec for music or general audio streams.  OGG is rightly a container format for audio and video to include Vorbis, Theora and SPEEX.  My interest lies primarily in getting the Fuze+ to handle SPEEX.

Like Vorbis, Speex is not encumbered by patents, copyrights and royalty payments.  Does the Fuze+ player support any voice codecs?  I did not see AMR, G.729.1, G.722 or SPEEX listed.  When I copied a .spx file to the player, it was ignored. 

Can this function be prioritized or added?

People like myself that Record FM talk radio would love to be able to convert the huge files generated by the Fuze+ to one of these voice formats particularly for use as a podcast – if the Fuze+ supported SPEEX or AMR.  This could be done on the PC using FFmpeg.

I suggest Speex rather than AMR as you already handle the ogg container format and the DSP decoder is free software.

The Fuze+ doesn’t need Speex. MP3 at 32kbps mono mp3 is good enough and small enough. Another choice is wma at 24kbps, which is around the same sound quality as mp3 at 32kbps. I use mp3 at 32 kbps for spoken word files . I have listened to some wma files at 12 kbps, and while they were listenable, the sound quality did sound much lower than 32kbps mp3. Flash memory is cheap enough though, and at around 72 hours of 32kbps mp3 files fitting in each GB of space, that is good enough.

Speex is a voice codec whereas mp3 is a music codec. I disagree that it is unneeded.

Smartphones which Sansa competes with as a music player include AMR (nb + wb)

Speex at 15.7k bps sounds better than 64k bps mp3 podcasts of Talk Radio Shows.

SPX files are also better than AMR NB.  There are many voice codecs including AMR,

AWB, G.729.1 and Speex.  Sansa doesn’t have any!  Speex DSP is open source and

has been separated into a separate library.  The latest version has some promising new

improvements in its latest version.  Don’t knock it until you’ve actually tried it on

Windows Media Player or MP Classic.

Look at www.speex.org  The difference is astounding.

I don’t see any menu at all on my sansa fuze+ screen.  I have loaded songs on my computer (to my  “internal storage” music folder … and created a playlist which is in my playlist folder, and it supposedly “loaded” onto the player, but there is no menu at all.  I noticed it is taking, in alphabetical order, the first 10 songs in the folder, and playing them, but it is not giving me any kind of menu to choose what to play, or to choose a playist, etc.  I have much confusion about the controls also.  This is the first mp3 player I have ever owned, and I sure can’t figure it out. (insert bewildered face here)

I’ve searched the site, but cannot find anything so far that addresses my problems.  I’d appreciate any help I can get.   Thanks!

CandyHearts

I can’t figure out to post a message here.  Please help me.

You’ve posted 2 already. I think you’ve got the gist of it. :wink:

@candyhearts wrote:

I don’t see any menu at all on my sansa fuze+ screen.  I have loaded songs on my computer (to my  “internal storage” music folder … and created a playlist which is in my playlist folder, and it supposedly “loaded” onto the player, but there is no menu at all.  I noticed it is taking, in alphabetical order, the first 10 songs in the folder, and playing them, but it is not giving me any kind of menu to choose what to play, or to choose a playist, etc.  I have much confusion about the controls also.  This is the first mp3 player I have ever owned, and I sure can’t figure it out. (insert bewildered face here)

I’ve searched the site, but cannot find anything so far that addresses my problems.  I’d appreciate any help I can get.   Thanks!

CandyHearts

The Fuze+ will display a cascading group of the last 10 songs loaded.  You can scroll through this list by sweeping the touchpad from top to bottom (or bottom to top), and select the desired track from this list via a tap of the center, or tap the play button in the upper right.

To access all songs, simply give one tap at the center of your touchpad.

Let’s go over the sequence, and your options, as the Fuze+ is a wee bit different from other Sansas.  There are lots of options open, depending upon how you would like to search for your music.  Starting from that first screen (the “recently added” 10), if you give a single tap at the pad center, you will start with artist showing, and  the device will begin at the displayed artist.  You can scroll via artist from top to bottom, or select album, songs, genres, playlists, folders, or Rhapsody Channels , in sequence, for your search.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have tried to lock my fuze by pressing the pause button for 3 seconds.  Nothing happens.  What can I do?

hold the power button for .5 sec. Release to unlock repeat.

@jlablackbird wrote:

I have tried to lock my fuze by pressing the pause button for 3 seconds.  Nothing happens.  What can I do?

Did you update the firmware? The locking procedure was changed to the power button.

The lock  function is important for the Fuze+, since the touchpad is very easy to trigger accidentally.  As above, a brief press of the power button (the decimal point might be missed there- it’s about a half-second  press, longer than a tap, to activate of turn off the lock function.

This was changed in the firmware updates, but isn’t clear in the User Guide, which was based upon the original firmware version.  The original lock function was activated by the touchpad, an odd arrangement in retrospect.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Over a year after purchase and it still pretty much ■■■■■:

-Poor UI, even after improvements with firmware

-Long start up, which does not resume playback–often times I start it, forget about it because it takes so long, it turns off, lather rinse repeat.

-err’s playing music off microSD, all of a sudden music is replaced by loud buzzing in my ear

-freezes and lags

So now I have a Galaxy s2 phone, and it is for sure a Fuze+ killer.  Those of you looking for an alternative, the Samsung Galaxy players that just came out might be a good alternative: video, variety of format support, expandable integrated microSD, full touchscreen rather than pointless buggy touch controls just because it’s what the cool kids are doing.  AND my earphones will actually stay in the jack on my Galaxy, I mean, come on Sansa, how hard is it to make your 3.5mm jack standard to my earphones dont constantly come unplugged?

It’s a year and a quarter since I bought and th4 48 GB (16 + 32 SD card) it is now available for $130… half of what I paid.  Still a disaster.

“The lock  function is important for the Fuze+, since the touchpad is very easy to trigger accidentally.”

No doubt.  The touchpad is so hyper senstiive (let’s be clear, it’s actually the math in the software because the more sensitive the better if you know what the heck you’re doing in handing events) that we need a lock function to read 1 out of every 10 events just to navigate. 

It’s now 7 1/2 months since 02.38.06… the last firmware release.  Obviously Sansa is sending a clear message to their customers to never again pruchase a Sansa device. 

Sansa, I am listening and receiving your message loud and clear.

I love my Fuze+. At about $80 for the 8GB version, I’d buy another tomorrow if this one broke.

“I love my Fuze+. At about $80 for the 8GB version, I’d buy another tomorrow if this one broke.”

It’s a great device at 8 Gigabytes.  But it was marketed to support collections up to 48 Gigabytes and it fails completley.

I hate my Sansa Fuze+ .  At $260 for the 48 GB version (16 + Sansa 32 card), I’d use it tomorrow if Sansa ever got it working.

Since you can buy the 16 + 32 now for $130, I’ve effectively been paying Sansa  $10 a month to get something that I could buy now for $130.  That’s a $10.00 per month Sansa brick in my desk drawer. 

A $10.00 per month Sansa brick that I run into once every few months when I check for a firmware update.  For some reason, it really makes me remember the name of the Sansa brand.

I hate my Fuze+ I would throw it out in the yard. But I think I’ll take it back and get my money back. I just bought 2 days ago. Can’t get it to work. This is a piece of cp. I have wasted 2 days trying to get it set up. It has been one problem after  another. Rhaspody could not download songs because I needed a DRM file, and my computer has an anti=Virse protection on it and it would not let it unless I turned it off. No way am I doing that. After I tried to get song to download I ran my anti Viris and it told me to remove the programs, it had tried to loads some stuff on my computer that could have been spyware.

So now no songs, a bill from Rhaspody, and 2 wasted days of messing with this lovely thing.

Thanks Fuze+

THIS is pure garbage! It will not transfer a playlist with the heading of the playlist  or in order like the old one did from windows media player. It hard to negotiate as well  gettign to where you want to be. I wasted $55.00

Can you return it, get your money back and find something else?