Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.21

@tapeworm wrote:

@tnmats wrote:

It may not be any consolation but RDS is flaky here in the US too. 

Yet another reason to give Rockbox a try…

Yet another reason to call the station and complain. They’re the ones who input what gets displayed via RDS.

It only displays screwy in my Clip Zip.  I don’t see the same errors in my wife’s car which has RDS in it too.  I don’t know what the difference is between the 2 units and how they interpret the data.

@tnmats wrote:

I don’t know what the difference is between the 2 units and how they interpret the data.

From my reading here, the SanDisk handling of the RDS feature just isn’t issue-free–it’s not (simply) a matter of the info. that the stations are putting out.

My Sansa Clip zip is out of order, it doesent start, even i have tried “reset” with pressing power switch for 30-60sec.

Also the pc doesent recognize the player, nothing happend by connecting it via USB to PC.

Now i got a new one, the strange thing there is a newer firmware installed V01.01.21P

what ist the difference between  V01.01.21A  and  V01.01.21P ?

1 Like

@patapon wrote:

Now i got a new one, the strange thing there is a newer firmware installed V01.01.21P

what ist the difference between  V01.01.21A  and  V01.01.21P ?

It’s not newer; it’s the same firmware. “A” stands for America. “P” stands for Pacific (as in Asia). Depending on the location or region settings you select after updating the firmware the suffix letter will be different.

I just bought the SanDisk Clip Zip and it says I have firmware version 01.01.21A. However, I tried to install the Firmware Updater on my PC and anytime I click “Run” in the downloaded file it doesn’t do anything. I’ve tried it with and without the Clip Zip plugged into my computer.

I was able to do a manual install, but I wanted the Updater so it would alert me to updates when I plug my Clip Zip into my computer.

Any suggestions?

@lotada -

You already have the latest firmware. There’s no need to manually re-install the same version unless you are experiencing some sort of problem that could be firmware-related, and the Updater won’t re-install the same version. If it detects the latest f/w version, it can (and will) do nothing.

And you don’t need the Updater. It’s very unlikely there will be any more f/w updates on a player that is already over 2 years old. The Updater slows down your system and amounts to little more than nag-ware every time you plug your player into your computer as it phones home looking for an update that will never come.

My zip has the version 01.01.21P. My player crash after finished playing special FLAC files~

But when I use 01.01.20, there is no problem~

And so, either avoid those files or use the earlier firmware . . . .

@liuchang wrote:

My zip has the version 01.01.21P. My player crash after finished playing special FLAC files~

But when I use 01.01.20, there is no problem~

Please defiine “special FLAC files”.

Just some FLACs~

Thank you for being so forthcoming. I’m sure you’ll get hundreds of responses guessing at what your issue might be.

I’m sorry but I donot know what the problem is on the files, they looks no difference with proper files. 

All the files can be played well on my PC and zip with 01.01.20.

I would just use 01.01.20. The freeze that 01.01.21 is supposed to fix appears to be quite rare.

I did post a report about an issue like the one described by liuchang.

Bug report with firmware 01.01.21. Device hangs up/freezes after finishing a track.

Yes, I saw that post and commented on it, since I’m experiencing the same freeze-reset issue.  It sounds as though downgrading the firmware solves the problem. 

Two questions: 

1. How does one downgrade if one owns a new Clip Zip with the latest firmware and

2. Do you happen to have a link to FW 01.01.20?

Pluvidagheepf wrote:

Two questions: 

1. How does one downgrade if one owns a new Clip Zip with the latest firmware and
  1. Do you happen to have a link to FW 01.01.20?

1. Manually, according to the directions in the firmware post.

2. There’s a great tool here, called a SEARCH function. :stuck_out_tongue:

But here’s your link:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Sansa-Clip-Zip-Firmware-01-01-20/m-p/270703#M2531

So I have no idea if this is firmware related, but the firmware version is the only difference between my old purple 4GB Clip Zip (running 01.01.20A), which worked fantastically for 18 months, until the headphone jack gave out, and my new black 4GB Clip Zips (. That’s Clip Zips, plural. I’m on my second one in 5 or 6 weeks…

I have a few main problems, listed from least to most worrisome:

(1) The left and right buttons rewind/fast forward, but don’t skip back/forward. Actually, I plugged my newest one into the computer yesterday (see issue 3), but somehow this magically “fixed” the issue. With both new Clip Zip, they buttons started out working, then stopped 2 or 3 days after I got them.

(2) I just timed it, and my Clip Zip takes 4:06 to turn on. That’s 4 MINUTES and 6 seconds. I have a 32 GB microSD card in it that’s almost full, but my GOODNESS, that’s excessive!!! My old one took maybe 15-20 seconds. *trying again without the microSD card* Nope. Same. 4:08. (On the other hand, it only took 1:35 to refresh my media, and that used to take like 4 minutes on the old Clip Zip! 1:35 isn’t bad for 29GB of data, in my opinion!)

(3) When I try to plug it into my computer… it just power cycles for forever and doesn’t connect. Then after I give up (30 minutes later or whatever) and unplug it from the computer, it’ll boot to the “Connected” screen. AFTER it’s unplugged. And then it won’t turn off unless I plug it back it, then unplug it again. WEIRD.  OOooh… It just connected but now it’s saying the USB device isn’t recognized. Not good.

Could this be a firmware issue? If so, I’m not sure how I can fix it, since I can’t connect it to my computer. I haven’t tried formatting it or restoring it to factory defaults. Didn’t want to do anything “rash” until I polled the audience… :wink:

Did I get two lemons in a row? Will the third one be a charm? HELP if you can!

Sara

I would try:

–  Manually reapplying the firmware–software glitches indeed can occur.  Easy to do, and this will not affect your user content on the player.  See the firmware sticky thread at the top of this forum.

–  If that doesn’t help, re-formatting the player, under its System settings–this can fix odd issues.  Note that this will erase your user content on the player, so transfer what you want to save to your computer first.

Hope this helps– 

Are there any planned updates in the future?  I got the newer Sport model which has a pitch corrected speed up feature on the audiobooks that I really enjoy and would like to see that feature on the older Zips.  Other than this one feature, the Sport seems very buggy.  The response I’ve gotten thus far is that I should not expect it to be able to read file names without cutting off half the characters and shouldn’t expect the audiobooks to play in order.  I would happily go back to the Zip, but it would be nice if they could adjust the speed feature to include pitch correction.  It’s really the best thing about the sport and I’m surprised they don’t brag about it more.

The benefit you point to would be great to see in the other players, but given the age of the Zip player and the fact that it’s been over a year since the last firmware revision, I would be surprised by any developments here.  But, one always can be pleasantly surprised.