Sansa Clip Zip Firmware 01.01.18

I just timed, and with the version 18 firmware installed, the boot took approximately 10 seconds on my player. As I said, you might try reinstalling the latest firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum).

I tried reverting back to 01.01.15 and timing that version to see how it compared with the 01.01.18 version. It was about 3 times faster for startup and shutdown.

I noticed that I had various Spotlight and other files automatically placed in the root directory by OS X. I removed those files and re-updated (manually) back to 01.01.18 - and it was about 3 times faster - or the same speed as the 01.01.15 version

So, the slow boot (averaged 24 seconds) and slow shutdown (averaged 22 seconds) was either caused by an incorrect firmware update or by the files automatcailly placed on the zip by OS X.

Is there any documentation on what files should and should not be in the root directory of the player?

Arrggh–with all due respect to that wonderful company, it’s Apple crud again. Apple is infamous (well, in my mind, at least) for adding admin. “ghost” files to nonApple devices such as audio players (including the Clips), digital cameras, etc. when files are transferred from an Apple computer to the device–and these ghost files can choke the device. (A solution: use Internet freeware such as Hidden Cleaner or KopyMac to transfer files from a Mac to the device–the software gets rid of the ghost files.) I knew about the issue with the transfer of content files from a Mac to the Clip, but it hadn’t occurred to me that this would happen with a firmware upgrade as well (and I haven’t heard of this happening before–perhaps people have just been ignoring the extra boot time). Now we know.

And in answer to your last question, on my Clip Zip right now (apart from my content), created by the player: folders–ALBUM, AUDIBLE, AUDIOBOOKS, MUSIC, PODCASTS, RECORD, and SPORT; and system, etc. files–MTABLE, RES_INFO, SYS_CONF, and version.sdk (all of which system, etc. files show a file creation date since I last turned the player on, within the last 1/2 hour). Hope this helps–

By the way: thanks for persevering and figuring this issue out; always good to know, detective! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the guidance. I do have 2 additional files that you don’t mention: ._clpza.bin and DID.bin - should those files be present?

I’m not sure if those are from the zip being used with OS X or not…

The “._clpza.bin” file is almost certainly a ghost file (the “._” at the beginning is pretty much a dead giveaway). I don’t know about the other one.

I don’t believe that the DID.bin in a SanDisk file–likely an artifact of something.

Can you provide a link or manufacturer for the silicone sleeve? Thanks.

@divingduck wrote:

I fail to see the relevance of a silicone case to the topic of this thread (firmware), but

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sansa+Clip+Zip+Silicone+Case

or

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2043212.m570.l1313&_nkw=Sansa+Clip+Zip+case&_sacat=293

@divingduck wrote:

Easily found on Amazon and eBay, and likely elsewhere.  Try a search for, well, Clip Zip silicone case.    :slight_smile:

Thank you for the step wise solution. It is very useful

Can you fix the issue of “Playlists not showing up when syncing with WMP 12?”

Why change shuffle to play all? its much better to set to shuffle and let it go, this is one of the reasons i brought a sansa.

can we not have both?

@Regarding the problem of RDS issues still exist in some European countries slotmonsta wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

romanaleksejuk,

I would like to let you know we are looking into this issue…

There are still no new firmware, and no way to fix this issue. Are you really looking into this problem and planning to fix it ? Was it written just for calming the customers ?

@romanaleksejuk wrote:

@Regarding the problem of RDS issues still exist in some European countries slotmonsta wrote:

@slotmonsta wrote:

romanaleksejuk,

I would like to let you know we are looking into this issue…

There are still no new firmware, and no way to fix this issue. Are you really looking into this problem and planning to fix it ? Was it written just for calming the customers ?

Historically, updates have been issued approximately every three months for actively supported Sandisk players. It’s only been about a month and a half since the last update, so it’s a little early to start panicking. Patience, my friend.

@gwk1967 wrote:

Historically, updates have been issued approximately every three months for actively supported Sandisk players. It’s only been about a month and a half since the last update, so it’s a little early to start panicking. Patience, my friend.

In my opinion, if some functions which regarding the manual and specifications should function properly - are not functioning at all, firmware updates should be marked as urgent. In that case historical traditions should be bypassed :angry:

@jackel34 wrote:

Why change shuffle to play all? its much better to set to shuffle and let it go, this is one of the reasons i brought a sansa.

can we not have both?

There is still both on the player. It was changed at the request of numerous suggestions/pleas from people here on the forum to the way it was with all the past players.

You can still set the Shuffle option to ON in Settings or Music Options. :wink:

I agree with previous people, can we have an option to put the  “the” in front of the bands and songs

Dear Admin
Your new firmware it’s not fix for

1.Disappearence of THAI independent vowels and space gap between THAI consonants.Please see any difference between THAI menu in Sansa Clip Zip and the correct THAI writing.

2.It’s show Alien language (not THAI language) while playing the music.

Could you fix it in the new future firmware.

Thank you in advance for your help.

PS.Direct link for picture.