SANDISK INTRODUCES SANSA® CLIP ZIP™ MP3 PLAYER

Stylish, Feature-Rich Player Delivers Affordable On-The-Go Music Experience

• Packed with features, including a larger color screen, compatibility with all major music formats, a stopwatch, an FM radio, voice recording capability and a microSDHC™ card slot for extra storage
  • Successor to one of the best-selling sub-$50 MP3 players in the United States
  • Available now in the United States and Canada; coming soon to Europe

MILPITAS, Calif., August 24, 2011- SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a global leader in flash memory storage solutions, today introduced the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player, the latest addition to the popular Sansa® Clip family. The Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player is perfect for active music fans looking for a feature-rich, easy-to-use player at a great value.

“The Sansa Clip family ranks among the most popular sub-$50 MP3 players in the United States, and now we’ve made it even better,” said Tom Bailey, senior director, AV retail, SanDisk. “Our tiny Sansa Clip Zip packs big features that few other MP3 players in its class can match.”

Major Music Enjoyment
The Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player offers rich sound quality and is compatible with all major music formats, including the AAC codec (DRM-free iTunes compatible). The player’s new 1.1-inch LCD color screen offers 83 percent more viewing area than previous models. Its updated graphical interface displays album art and makes it easier than ever for consumers to navigate songs.

Features for Consumers
The Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player offers extra features that consumers want in an MP3 player, including:

• microSDHC  card slot  lets consumers instantly expand the player’s storage capacity-up to 32 additional gigabytes2 (a maximum of 8,0003 songs total between the internal and external memory).
  • Easy compatibility  with all major music, audio book and podcast formats, including MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC and Audible files.
  • Optimized  for use with Rhapsody, eMusic and Napster music services.
  • More colors- red, blue, black, orange, white, grey and purple.

Reliable Workout Partner
The Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player includes a new stopwatch for timing laps and an FM radio for tuning into stations at the gym or on the go. Thinner and lighter than before, the player weighs a little more than half an ounce (15.8 grams) and is about the same size as a matchbox (2.25 x 1.42 x 0.58 inches). The compact player features a durable design that is perfect for hands-free listening.

Convenient Travel Companion
With up to 15 hours of battery life1, the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player lets consumers enjoy music during long trips away from home while conserving their phone or tablet’s battery. The player slips easily into any piece of luggage or clipped onto a piece of clothing. It includes a built-in microphone with voice recording capabilities and uses a micro-USB connector, the popular charger used for many mobile devices today-so travelers can pack one less cable.

Pricing and Availability
The Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player comes in capacities of 4GB (storing up to 1,000 songs3) and 8GB (storing up to 2,000 songs3), carrying MSRPs of $49.99 and $69.99. The player is available now in the United States and Canada, and will reach Europe next month.

About SanDisk
SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK) is a global leader in flash memory storage solutions, from research and development, product design and manufacturing to branding and distribution for OEM and retail channels. Since 1988, SanDisk’s innovations in flash memory and storage system technologies have provided customers with new and transformational digital experiences. SanDisk’s diverse product portfolio includes flash memory cards and embedded solutions used in smart phones, tablets, digital cameras, camcorders, digital media players and other consumer electronic devices, as well as USB flash drives and solid-state drives (SSD) for the computing market. SanDisk’s products are used by consumers and enterprise customers around the world.

SanDisk is a Silicon Valley-based S&P 500 and Fortune 500 company, with more than half its sales outside the United States. For more information, visit www.sandisk.com.

1 Based on continuous audio playback at 128kbps MP3; battery life and performance may vary depending upon usage and settings; battery not replaceable

2 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1 billion bytes. Some capacity not available for data storage.

3 Based on 3.5 min songs @ 128 kbps. Approximations: results will vary based on file size, resolution, compression, bit rate, content, host device, pre-loaded files and other factors. See www.sandisk.com

SanDisk’s product and executive images can be downloaded from
www.sandisk.com/corporate/media.asp
SanDisk’s web site/home page address:www.sandisk.com

SanDisk the SanDisk logo and Sansa are trademarks of SanDisk Corporation, registered in the United States and other countries. Sansa Clip Zip is a trademark of SanDisk Corporation. Other brand names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and may be the trademarks of their respective holder (s).

This press release contains certain forward-looking statements, including expectations for new products, applications, features, markets, and customers that are based on our current expectations and involve numerous risks and uncertainties that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate. Risks that may cause these forward-looking statements to be inaccurate include among others: our products may not be available in the prices, the capacities or the geographies that we expect, our products may not perform as expected and the other risks detailed from time-to-time in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings and reports, including, but not limited to, our quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and our annual report on Form 10-K. We do not intend to update the information contained in this press release.

I just received my clip zip hooked it up to charge to the PC and it immediately began to sync which is all fine.  however the language is something other than English.  I cannot figure out how to get the settings to English.  can someone help me out?

Let’s give the language option a try.  There’s one problem, menu looping, that comes into play, but this should be "off"by default with a new Clip Zip.  I’ll turn that off first…

Hold the Back / Home button (little guy in the upper left) for about 2 seconds.  This will bring you to the main menu level.

Scroll >>  to the icon with three gears.  This is the Settings node.  Press the Center button once, then again, selecting the first available one, System Settings.  It’s the top, first one.

Press the bottom button eight times , this should be the Language option Press the center button to access the language menu.  The first one (top) is English.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Bob:  Thanks for trying to help me.  I followed your instructions and ended up with nothing but giberish on the screen only a lot of it.  When you say the middle button you mean the silver one?  I have it all screwed up now.  Do you know of someone I can call that can walk me through this thing.

Frank

SanDisk Tech Support

1-866-SANDISK (726-3475)

8a.m - 7p.m Pacific Standard Time
11a.m - 10p.m Eastern Standard Time
CLOSED Saturdays and Sundays

Bob:  Thanks for responding so quickly.  It didnt work.  When the operation failed I checked every option and there didnt seem to be an english option although I did get an option for speed.  That was in english the music options (songs) come up in english but I cant figure out how to do any of the things you are supposed to be able to do, like date and time, etc.

No worries.  The upper left button (with a curved arrow logo) is the home or back button.  If you hold it for a few seconds, the device goes to the main menu level.  Settings is the last screen if you hold the >>| button down.

I mentioned the looping function which can complicate things.  A new device should have this function OFF by default, assuming that you have a recent firmware installed on your ClipZip.  The firmware version can vary, as new builds are released, but the little Zip is in a sealed box, of course.

If you hold the >>| button (the main silver control, right side button) depressed, and the menus keep scrolling through, the loop function is ON.

As long as you can get to the Settings > then System Settings > you can try this:

Here is a listing of the options.  They will be in a different language, but often, acronyms are similar looking to English.  Here’s the list as a reference for you, From System Settings:

Background

Backlight

Brightness

Power Saver

Sleep

Customize

Equalizer

Replay Gain

Language

Menu Looping

Date

Time

Volume

Info

USB Mode

Format

Restore

As you scroll through the settings menu, see if any of these looks similar, like the abbreviation USB for example.  Then scroll up or down (using this list as a guide) to find Language. 

In Language, English is the top choice.  Alternately, if you select Restore, the next question (regardless of language) asks “Reset back to factory settings?”  Click on the top or bottom button to move from the default “no” to “yes”, then press the little button at the center of the main button (this is the “select” key.  The player will ask you for language first.

Alternately, there are a few other options available to you.  You can call Support at 1-866-SANDISK, and a live assistant can walk you through the process.

If you’re comfortable with it, follow the directions in this thread, and manually transfer a copy of the newest firmware to your device.  Once you disconnect, the device will restart in English automatically, at the Language screen.  If your device doesn’t have the current latest firmware installed, you can bypass the entire process by installing the Sansa Updater utility.  This will automatically initiate a firmware update if the device doesn’t have the latest formware build.  The Firmware Updater is also listed in the linked thread for you, if you would like to try that route.  Installing the firmware manually is a snap, just be sure to unzip / decompress / extract the bin file before dragging it to the player.

1 Like

Otherwise:  reapply the latest firmware–see the firmware upgrade sticky thead at the top of the forum (it’s easy to do–really!)–which then will ask you your language.  Voila!   :slight_smile:

Can I scan Sansa Clip Zip? How do I? Is formatting by Sansa’s own menu enough to clean up anything it may have caught (viruses) from my infected PC? Thanks.

@noelp wrote:

Can I scan Sansa Clip Zip?

Meaning what? What kind of scan do you want to run? Virus Scan (I assume from your follow-up question)?

How do I?

Connect it to your PC in MSC mode. Your copmptuer will see it as any other drive. Set your A/V software to scan that drive. Note the player will show up as 2 dirves; the 1st one is the internal memory and the 2nd is the card slot.

Is formatting by Sansa’s own menu enough to clean up anything it may have caught (viruses) from my infected PC?

It’s doubtful there’s any virus on it as there’s no executables on it for viruses to attack but yes, formatting will clear/clean it.

Btw. there’s no need for multiple posts asking the same thing. You most likely didn’t get any response to your 1st post because no one could figure out what you were asking or why.

Thanks for your reply. YOU got what I saying even if your buddies here may not have. I don’t see what was so confusing. Yes, I meant scans in regard to viruses and the like. Your other info helps ease my mind too. I admit I may have sounded desperate, but so are a lot of musicheads on various forums where I’ve sought the simple words/advice you’ve suddenly made clear.

I have a question that Sansa Chat could not answer. Can Sansa Zip work with 3.5 mm headphones instead of earbuds?

I think the answer is one of the following. 

1. It will but sound quality will be not as good as thru earbuds

1.a Same as above but the sound will be very quiet

1. It will with a good sound quality but it will drain battery sooner. (how soon?) 

2. Same as above but it may be harmful for Sansa.

3. It will not work. 

4. Something else.

The reason I’m asking is because I bought $100 headphones but do not want to unpack them before I know they will work with Sansa Clip Zip. 

SanDisk chat answered that they never tested Sansa Clip with headphones.

@yury wrote:

I have a question that Sansa Chat could not answer. Can Sansa Zip work with 3.5 mm headphones instead of earbuds?

I think the answer is one of the following. 

1. It will but sound quality will be not as good as thru earbuds

1.a Same as above but the sound will be very quiet

1. It will with a good sound quality but it will drain battery sooner. (how soon?) 
  1. Same as above but it may be harmful for Sansa.
  1. It will not work. 
  1. Something else.

The reason I’m asking is because I bought $100 headphones but do not want to unpack them before I know they will work with Sansa Clip Zip. 

SanDisk chat answered that they never tested Sansa Clip with headphones.

#5- Something else: works wonderfully

Any 3.5mm standard jack works with the CZ.  I use Sennheiser/Adidas behind-the-neck headphones when walking/running, Klipsch S4 earphones when at work.  Both work with no problem, plenty of volume and the sound quality is vastly superior to what Sandisk supplied.  I even used my CZ with my Grado SR60i headphones, no issues driving them.

Use what you wish, just make sure they fit the 3.5mm jack.  Nearly anything sounds better than the phones Sandisk supplies.

And note that even if a particular pair of headphones has a different sized plug (e.g. the earlier “standard” for stereos, a 1/4" plug), plug adapters are readily available, such as at Radio Shack and many other electronics stores, for just a few dollars. As a general matter, any pair of headphones or earbuds (ok, most) will work with the Clips, which have a standard mini-player headphone jack (again, if your current phones have a larger plug, a plug adapter will do them just fine for the Clips).

I have the “sansa clip zip 4 mp3 player” and it does not want to turn on even with the battery at 100%. I tried the reset, and nothing happened. Is there a clitch with this thing?

@oops wrote:
I have the “sansa clip zip 4 mp3 player” and it does not want to turn on even with the battery at 100%. I tried the reset, and nothing happened. Is there a clitch with this thing?

No. Is this new? Did you peel the protective film off of the screen?

I dunno how I found ya, but I think I’m glad I did!!  I stumbled across some ‘info’ you were describing to another client about how to get into ‘settings’?

I am having a problem with having to ‘force shut-down’ of my computer when I disconnect the player from it?  Sooo, I sent an email to Sandisk and got a return one with some suggestions as to how to ‘fix’ this?

They mentioned changing the USB mode and I had NO idea of what they were talking about.  I just found it through one of your ‘help’ responses and I’m hoping this will finally take care of itself!!  :smiley:

(Possible solution in my reply to your other post)

The USB Mode option is found, on the device, via Settings > System Settings > USB Mode.  The device has three options, MSC, MTP,  or Auto Detect. MSC mode is where the Sansa is recognized as a basic flash memory device. MTP mode is where the Sansa is recognized as a portable media player; this is done via Windows Media Player 10 or later, on your PC. Auto Detect will try MTP first, if supported on your PC, then it should revert to MSC.

You can see which mode is active by opening a Windows Explorer window on the computer, with the Sansa connected. If it shows up with a drive letter assigned, like E:   for example, it is in MSC. If listed as simply Sansa Clip Zip (in caps and smalls), you’re in MTP.

Note that the PC performs a _separate installation_for the device in each USB mode. It’s possible that one of these modes has an issue. By manually selecting a mode on the device, instead of the Auto mode, you can be sure of the connection mode.

In MSC mode, right clicking on the device and selecting properties will give you several tabs with options (MTP will not, all you’ll have is “properties”). Navigating to the Hardware tab, highlight the device, Properties button, then you can uninstall. Though it sounds counterintuitive, start by uninstalling, unplug, then let Windows reinstall next time the device is plugged back in.  This is the same as going to the Device Manager.

In MTP, use the Device Manager, look for the Sansa under Portable Device, same procedure.

Hope it makes sense, as Windows has so many menus, with “all roads leading to Rome.”

You have to change the language from Settings, system settings, then scroll down to language, from there pick your language and back out all the way thru settings. Them you can go to music or any setting you like.