Roommate deleted one partiton on my Sansa e270

Let my moron roommate borrow my e270. Now it will turn on when plugged into computer’s USB port. Blue ring lights and screen lights up white. Only one of the two partitions shows up [the one with MUSIC, PHOTOS, PICTURES,PLAYLISTS, RECORD, SYSTEM, TMP & VIDEO. The other partition is gone! :-( 

Accessing the version.txt file shows the following:

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
ODM Ver.: S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.02.24A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2007.12.24
Build Number: (Build 32.10)

Searching the web, I found some info regarding repairing this, but I can not seem to find the e200 Repair Tool file anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

PS What format does my e270 use? FAT32?

What do you mean by “one partition”? :confounded:

The e270 if I recall correctly is 6GB capacity. That means it would be formatted as FAT32.

@tapeworm wrote:

The e270 if I recall correctly is 6GB capacity. That means it would be formatted as FAT32.

When the e270 is set to MSC [Mass Storage Class] mode, it will show up on a Windows based computer as two removable drives. This is because the memory is partitioned into two sections, as can be done on a mechanical or SSD hard drive. Basically by creating multiple [2 or more] partitions, Windows will treat a single drive [in this case the e270 Sansa] as multiple drives.

I have a friend [he lives 44 miles away] who has an identical e270 to mine. Next time he comes to visit or I go to visit him, I will try to copy the contents of his second parttion. I will then recreate my second partition and copy the contents [files] I copied from his e270 to mine. I suspect that this will not work unless I recreate that second partion using Linux. Anyone out there successfully recreate a partition using Windows?

You are correct that once this second partition is created, it will have to be formatted in FAT32.

@chaskuss wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

When the e270 is set to MSC [Mass Storage Class] mode, it will show up on a Windows based computer as two removable drives. This is because the memory is partitioned into two sections, as can be done on a mechanical or SSD hard drive. Basically by creating multiple [2 or more] partitions, Windows will treat a single drive [in this case the e270 Sansa] as multiple drives.

Not exactly. You are correct that if the player is set to MSC mode, your computer sees it as 2 separate drives. One is the internal memory; the other is the external memory card. They are not 2 ‘partitions’ of the same drive, or memory space; they are 2 separate physical memory locations. ‘Partitioning’ the drive with Linux will likely ‘brick’ your player.

However, in operation, the player will see and play files from both physical memory locations seamlessly. I’m not sure why Windows Expolorer is not ‘seeing’ the card slot; it ususally does this whether there is a card inserted or not. If you try to click on the 2nd (card) drive when there is no card inserted however, you will get an error message. You might try manually re-applying the firmware via the instructons found here (don’t download or use the Updater & make sure you d/l the correct firmware version for your geographical location), or using Device Manger to see if there’s a problem, or the drive letter needs to be changed or reassigned.