Performance w/ microSD class 2 vs 4 & 6

I’m wondering if the card speed makes a difference in the playback of audio files. Hypothetically it could, so have any of you tried a class 2 microSD card in the slotMusic player?  Did that work smoothly, or does it actually play better on a higher speed card?

The Class rating of a card refers to the ‘writing’ to the card, not the ‘reading’ from it. This is important when using the card in a digital camera and you’re wanting a super-fast recovery time so as to snap another pic, but is irrelevant in using the card for music storage and playback.

The absolute only difference a higher class (faster) card would make in this instance is when loading it up with files in the 1st place; it might take a few seconds less.

Good to know, thanks for the information. 

Its almost funny that Sandisk Tech Support told me yesterday that a class 2 card would cause slower playback!  Either they wanted to sell me a class 6 card, or they have no clue (consistently).

Tapeworm wrote:

The Class rating of a card refers to the ‘writing’ to the card, not the ‘reading’ from it. 

it does in fact refer to both minimum read and write however you are correct it will not make any difference in a device playing audio files. now if you were playing hi def video files from a class 2 card you may see choppy playback so i would suggest a faster card. 

“The absolute only difference a higher class (faster) card would make in this instance is when loading it up with files in the 1st place; it might take a few seconds less.” 

A few seconds? Have you calculed the time difference between completely filling a 16 GB class 2 card vs a class 6 one? The difference is many minutes. While this is an extreme case, and most people don’t often completely fill a 16 GB card all at once, it still shows why a person might be willing to pay much more for the class 6 card than the class 2 one.