MSC mode

How do I switch my sansa Express to MSC mode?

There isn’t an MSC mode you can set on the player, but you can do it on a per-computer basis through Device Manager by telling it to use MSC drivers:

Open the Device Manager on your Windows PC of choice
Find the Express under Other Devices or Portable Devices
Right-click on the Express and click Properties
Click “Update Driver”
If the wizard asks you to connect to Windows Update, say “No, not this time”
“Install the software automatically (Advanced)”
“Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install”
Then, select USB Mass Storage Device and click Next, and you can finish installing MSC mode drivers.

The change will be persistent on the computer where you do this, but other computers will still see the player in MTP mode unless you do it there as well.  The Express really wasn’t meant to be used in MSC mode, so if you break something, you get to keep both pieces.

Thanks, worked, i guess i missunderstood what thei said before about impossible to go back

thanx so much…i was ready to return my sansa express…your fix helped worked !!!

@kennyj wrote:
There isn’t an MSC mode you can set on the player, but you can do it on a per-computer basis through Device Manager by telling it to use MSC drivers:

Open the Device Manager on your Windows PC of choice
Find the Express under Other Devices or Portable Devices
Right-click on the Express and click Properties
Click “Update Driver”
If the wizard asks you to connect to Windows Update, say “No, not this time”
“Install the software automatically (Advanced)”
“Don’t search, I will choose the driver to install”
Then, select USB Mass Storage Device and click Next, and you can finish installing MSC mode drivers.

The change will be persistent on the computer where you do this, but other computers will still see the player in MTP mode unless you do it there as well.  The Express really wasn’t meant to be used in MSC mode, so if you break something, you get to keep both pieces.

This does not work for me. I need help! I just bought the express and it will not switch to MSC mode no matter what. My computer wont recognize it since it’s only MTP. Someone help please!

@djsouledge wrote:
This does not work for me. I need help! I just bought the express and it will not switch to MSC mode no matter what. My computer wont recognize it since it’s only MTP. Someone help please!

The manual method of switching the Express to MSC mode is done after the Express is connected already in MTP mode. So, you probably need to find why your Express doesn’t connect to your computer.

First, you need WMP 10 or 11. If you do not have it installed, download it from the MS website. If you already have it on your computer,uninstall it and re-install the latest version.

Ok, once i reinstall WMP 10 or 11 then what do I do? What should happen? 

Thanks for the response! 

@djsouledge wrote:

Ok, once i reinstall WMP 10 or 11 then what do I do? What should happen? 

Thanks for the response! 

The drivers needed for the Express to connect to the computer are in Windows Media Player. After you have installed WMP, try connecting the Express to the computer again.

Ok that worked. But my question is this, why didn’t it just connect in the first place? Is it defective? I’m a patient person and I am sure that people out there are not as patient as me. What’s the deal?

DJSouledge wrote: 
… Is it defective? …

I do not think that your Express was the source of the problem. I am guessing that the MTP drivers on your computer got corrupted or were modifed by another program.

The manual method of switching the Express to MSC mode is done after the Express is connected already in MTP mode. So, you probably need to find why your Express doesn’t connect to your computer.

First, you need WMP 10 or 11. If you do not have it installed, download it from the MS website. If you already have it on your computer,uninstall it and re-install the latest version.
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Thats what you said on this board, I need to know how to get that WMP 10 or 11, can you please post a link? Or walk me through the steps? I really don’t understand!! Thank you!

@pukkua wrote:

Thats what you said on this board, I need to know how to get that WMP 10 or 11, can you please post a link? Or walk me through the steps? I really don’t understand!! Thank you!

WMP is Microsoft Windows Media Player. It is available from the Microsoft website. Go to microsoft.com and do a search for Windows Media Player.