Issues with Fuze+ and new Sandisk Class 4 32GB microSD card. WARNING!

Check your PM. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Thanks.

Sandisk Tech Support has been greatly supportive and are in the process of performing some failure analysis on the card that I sent in. 

I should get word back in a couple of days after they look at it.  Since the same card could not be read by my Son’s Fuze (not Fuze+, different hardware) it is probably something with the card. 

I’ll find out soon enough.  Whatever the outcome, I can’t stress how helpful tech support has been thus far. 

Ok I got a tracking number for my replacement card and UPS says it’s being shipped to Milpitas.  Why are they sending my new card from South Carolina back to California?  Tech support said that they would test the card before sending to me.  Perhaps they are sending it back to Milpitas so they can test prior to shipping to me to make sure it will work in my Fuze+

I’ll be interested in the response I get

Your tracking number was actually emailed to you by the RMA coordinator on 2/24. Your replacement is scheduled for delivery 03/03/2011. I have PM you your tracking information. The email you recieved regarding the card shipped to Milpitas CA is to replinish stock for the card that was tested and sent to you. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

I see.  So when will I receive that tasty card then?  Hehe.  Just hoping I was in that loop.  One can only hope.  You should have your new card shortly.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I am having the same issue: I have a Fuze+ and a SanDisk MicroSDHC card, also 32 Gigs that I got off Buy.com. I tried to format it a number of times, both quick and full format. Always formatted it to Fat32 at a number of allocation unit sizes (is there a best value). My Fuze always tells me to format it again.

Is this a well known issue? Is there a preferred way for me to contact support?

Sadly, the 32GB microSDHC card is a ripe target for counterfeiters.  I would guess that the 16GB is as well, as all the counterfeiter  (scam artist0 has to do is take a smaller card and hack a bogus file allocation table and a few other SD related bits of code onto a small-capacity cheap card.

Download and run this oddly-named utility,H2testw 1.4.  It will generate a report that provides test data concerning the suspected card.

You can contact SanDisk Support at 1-866-San Disk.  If you click on the SanDisk logo in the upper left corner of this page, then Support, you will see a linked page with contact information.

When formatting a card, choose the 32KB cluster size, this is best for your Sansa.  Windows defaults to teeny 4KB clusters, which can clog the processor with excessive overhead (and a HUGE FAT).

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

When formatting a card, choose the 32KB cluster size, this is best for your Sansa.  Windows defaults to teeny 4KB clusters, which can clog the processor with excessive overhead (and a HUGE FAT).

Would using the SD Formatter instead of Windows to format optimize the cluster size also?  I did a search for this info, but couldn’t find anything about it.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Sadly, the 32GB microSDHC card is a ripe target for counterfeiters.  I would guess that the 16GB is as well, as all the counterfeiter  (scam artist0 has to do is take a smaller card and hack a bogus file allocation table and a few other SD related bits of code onto a small-capacity cheap card.

Download and run this oddly-named utility,H2testw 1.4.  It will generate a report that provides test data concerning the suspected card.

You can contact SanDisk Support at 1-866-San Disk.  If you click on the SanDisk logo in the upper left corner of this page, then Support, you will see a linked page with contact information.

I ran the test and got 30416 MB of legitimate capacity on it. I will call tech support about getting it to work with my Fuze in the next few days.

Got the new card and “viola” it works flawlessly.  And as a side benefit.  Moved all content from internal memory to the card and the slugish UI disappeared.  Yehah

Glad to see you got a replacement card.  A few days ago, shopping for some SD cards, I noticed a link during a search, one of those “sponsored” ones.  What did I find?  A 32GB SanDisk card for $4.95

That’s a little too good to be true, don’t you think?

I haven’t looked into the cluster allocation default values with the SD Formatter, as I am old school, using the command prompt method often.  It’s always been more of a pain to remember where things are stuffed in Windows than zipping over to the command line interface for me.  Plus, it is reminiscent of the days working with the DEC VAX.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure if mine was counterfeit or not.  But I did do some write testing on the unit and filled it up so if it was a fake, it was a good fake.  I even did a read verify using a utility and it passed.

But whatever the case was in mine, it would not be recognized by the firmware.  The replacement works fine.  I got it through Amazon and it wasn’t priced stupidly low compared to other online vendors.  

I am amazed, however the difference between online and brick and mortar prices.  Nearly double.

Well, it’s working good now.  let’s hope we get some improvements in navigation, boot time, and delay time between submenus.

I’m kinda stuck with this now.  I won’t lie.  This little box has given me my first moment of pause on Sandisk products.  The unit seems to have less powerful firmware and more bugs than an amazon picnic, but Sandisk has always done right in the past.  Not really wanting to go back and buy the EOL Fuze V2.  So it’s this or the Clip+.   While the Clip+ will fill the bill, I imagaine it to be a nightmare for a 32GB card (very long scroll time) and my ailing eyes won’t really deal well with the smaller clip.

So I’m hoping they make this work.  Let’s hope we get to see the “plus” from the Fuze +.

How is this solved? Is there a firmware update that fixes this? I have the exact same problem with a sandisk class 4 16GB card. I ended up buying two cards, the other being class 2 and working with fuze+, but then during testing with H2testW it died completely.

So after spending almost 40 € extra I am still stuck with a 3.6 GB player. :cry:

i talked with sandisk support and they said a fix for this issue is coming in the next fimrware release. 

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue with mine.  new 32 gb card from amazon.com on new 8gb fuze+ player.  When connected to the computer, it sees the card fine.  I filled up the 8gb, then  I filled the sd card up about half full with music.  Then I disconnected it from the computer and it says that I must format the sd card to fat32.  I’m running win xp.  I formatted it and the problem persists.  Is the potential new firmware fix for this that the last poster referenced in the very near future?  I don’t know what to do here…  Should I return the card or fuze+ to Amazon, or both,…or should I wait? 

oh, also the very first thing I did was to update the firmware, before I put any music on it at all…

…so I guess I should hold onto the micro sd card until the firmware makes it work?  It was $55 and that’s a lot of money for something that I can’t use at this time.  How often does sandisk release firmware for the fuze+?

This is not really a problem.  If you fill a 32 GB microSD (or even a significant part of it) your Fuze+ will become nearly completely unresponsive in navigation.  Better to get an 8 GB card and max out to some more reasonable size collection such as 16 to 20 gig. 

@fuzionnow wrote:

This is not really a problem.  If you fill a 32 GB microSD (or even a significant part of it) your Fuze+ will become nearly completely unresponsive in navigation.  Better to get an 8 GB card and max out to some more reasonable size collection such as 16 to 20 gig. 

That doesn’t help me since I have the 32gb card sitting here unusable with the same exact problem as the original poster.

@kree wrote:

@fuzionnow wrote:

That doesn’t help me since I have the 32gb card sitting here unusable with the same exact problem as the original poster.

I don’t believe this was offered as a viable and realistic solution. More a sarcastic jab. :wink: