Fuze+ Video Requirements

For linux users. This command convert all videos in the folder (whatever they are) to a readable format:

find . ./* -print0 | xargs -0 -I files ffmpeg -i files -aspect 16:9 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -ab 128k -ac 2 -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag DX50 -r 20 -b 512k -s 224x176 files.avi

(need ffmpeg video and codecs …)

or for a single files:

ffmpeg -i inputfile -aspect 16:9 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -ab 128k -ac 2 -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag DX50 -r 20 -b 512k -s 224x176 outputfile.avi

Any idea what the maximum video bitrate the Fuze+ can handle is? I’m using WinFF as an ffmpeg frontend in Windows, and would want to know so that I can get decent video quality on this.

meta:

ffmpeg -i inputfile -aspect 16:9 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -ab 128k -ac 2 -vcodec h264 -r 30 -b 976k -s 320x240 outputfile.avi

is probably better, you’ll need to adjust aspect for your actual output, and maybe pad upper and lower.

Will the fuze+ play TV shows from itunes?  I can’t get that to work at all.  I am getting really frustrated because I got this player for my son to play tv shows and videos and I can’t make it work.  Can you help me?

itunes tv shows are DRM protected and these files cannot be converted. so the short answer is no they are not compatible with the Fuze+

Do you know where or how I can get tv shows for the fuze+?

This goes into the realm of illegal activity and probably shouldn’t be discussed here. Google is your best bet for finding things.

Many TV show episodes are available via a secure stream only.  These are intended for viewing on the PC.  Others are supported by advertising that is played with the video file.  Naturally, there are many different online video formats.

Some episodes are available for download to your computer as a complete file for playback.  This type of file is more readily transferred to your device for later viewing.  Taking that file, and retransmitting it via a filesharing network is most undoubtedly of questionable legality.

For a user to view that file on his own personal device is a different case, as you’re the “end user”.  “Sharing” the file or public performance of it is the key issue, as media rights have to be respected.  This varies from different media sources (rights holders), of course.

Check with the website hosting the video about details on their intended media distribution rights.  More specifically, if it’s a legal site like Hulu and others, this should be available.  Often, if teh video is intended to be diaplayed only on the computer, this is because the episode is supported by the advertising seen on the screen.

There are episodes available for some programs, hosted on YouTube.  These are available as special pages.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

After reading the specs for video conversion, I decided to give things a test run. I fired up HandBrake and put in the specs, as close as I could… couldn’t get 192kbps audio so I settled for 168, and used 29.97 fps instead of 30 (close?)

The video was output as a .m4v file. Does the file extention matter, or just the way it’s encapsulated? I copied it to my Fuze+ and it… didn’t work.

When I attempted to copy it the first time around, Windows 7 (compliments of K-Lite) detected the “wrong” type of file, and offered to convert it to the proper type instead. I said yes the second time around, and it made a file that was playable… somewhat. It took about 10 more minutes to convert the file into a proper MP4, with an inferior size of 176x96, 271kbps total, and a framerate of 29FPS.

But what irks me is that while the video works if you press Play, that’s it. You can’t fast-forward, pause, resume… anything, without screwing up the video.

So I’m off to try SMC right now, see what I did wrong. Should I be using something besides Handbrake maybe?

Having some minor issues regarding video transfer. SMC changed my files into AVIs (again, does the extension really matter?) but they were about  5-6x bigger than the original MP4s I thought I would be able to use, which failed. However, the audio/video in both of the videos I converted were badly synced.

I’m trying again using the recommended profile for Any Video Converter, and hoping everything will work smoothly this time around.

hi. i am using ubuntu 10.04 ond have  winff w/ the extra lybsincodec package. can someone please help me with a step by step “for dummies” of how i can convert video for the fuze+? i tried to do the command line commands but didn’t get very far. help using winff and it’s gui would be awesome. the winff forums are down or i would ask over there. thanks so much if anyone can help.

Just some info I thoguht I’d add in to the thread. I have an microSD card with some video files I made for my PSP using mencoder. (Have an adapter for Memstick Duo)  Anyhow, the video I made for my psp played perfectly fine in my fuze+.

I had the same problem as “primetechv2”. I convert a movie onto the Fuze+ using SMC. I then play the movie on the player. It plays for about 12 minutes, then randomly cuts out. It did convert the whole movie, because in the videos menu on the player it says the movie is about 2 hours long. When I go to pause the movie, it pauses, but when I try to resume the screen goes black and the player freezes and doesn’t resume. When I try to skip, fast forward or resume play from the menu, the player freezes, screen goes black and I cannot resume play of the movie. This is very frustrating, as I am doing everything right, using SMC and converting everything fine. Any suggestions?

slimmyshady wrote:

This is very frustrating, as I am doing everything right, using SMC and converting everything fine. Any suggestions?

Yeah, don’t use SMC.

Thanks, Any Video Converter works great on the “Customized MP4” Preset. SMC is a piece of **bleep**.

I just got the Fuze+ today, and I got Handbrake to work on my first try.   I converted an MKV to MP4.

Handbrake 0.9.4.  Sansa on the latest firmware (1.32 I think).

I used the Legacy|Classic profile on Handbrake with the following settings:

Picture | 320x240

Video | MPEG4, 25fps

Audio | AAC, 44.1 samplerate, 128 bitrate

@bill2000 wrote:

I just got the Fuze+ today, and I got Handbrake to work on my first try.   I converted an MKV to MP4.

Handbrake 0.9.4.  Sansa on the latest firmware (1.32 I think).

I used the Legacy|Classic profile on Handbrake with the following settings:

Picture | 320x240

Video | MPEG4, 25fps

Audio | AAC, 44.1 samplerate, 128 bitrate

You can use 30fps, and 192 bitrate for audio.

Also, your Video bitrate can be 1000kbs.

It seems as though bitrate and frame rate do not matter at all. Earlier last night, I converted a DVD for my Fuze+, but forgot to resample the audio (from 48k, which is what DVDs use, to 44.1K, the “required” rate), and accidently created a file with too high a sample rate. However, the Fuze+ played it just fine, without problems.

Also, The Fuze+ can NOT play MPEG-4 AVC video streams which use more than one reference frame. If you do have two or more reference frames, you must convert/reconvert the file, so that there is only one reference frame.

Edit: Yes it can. I seem to have been wrong. As many as seven reference frames can be used.

Also,

@primetechv2 wrote:

After reading the specs for video conversion, I decided to give things a test run. I fired up HandBrake and put in the specs, as close as I could… couldn’t get 192kbps audio so I settled for 168, and used 29.97 fps instead of 30 (close?)

The video was output as a .m4v file. Does the file extention matter, or just the way it’s encapsulated? I copied it to my Fuze+ and it… didn’t work.

When I attempted to copy it the first time around, Windows 7 (compliments of K-Lite) detected the “wrong” type of file, and offered to convert it to the proper type instead. I said yes the second time around, and it made a file that was playable… somewhat. It took about 10 more minutes to convert the file into a proper MP4, with an inferior size of 176x96, 271kbps total, and a framerate of 29FPS.

But what irks me is that while the video works if you press Play, that’s it. You can’t fast-forward, pause, resume… anything, without screwing up the video.

So I’m off to try SMC right now, see what I did wrong. Should I be using something besides Handbrake maybe?

Based on the information that you’ve provided, I’m going to take a guess and say that your video “should” work. Since it didn’t, I have to wonder what caused your problem.

Did you try renaming the file as an *.mp4 file? If not, I’m guessing your Fuze+ will not recognize the file as a video file.

If your problem was that your computer was telling you that the file will not work, maybe you  should just ignour the error, and copy the video, anyway.

If that doesn’t solve your problem, maybe you should download the Media Info Gui (just click your os, and download the GUI, NOT the CLi or Dll unless you know what you are doing), and set the output format as HTML. Then, open your video file, and make sure it says the following: A.) a profile of “Baseline@Level 2”, and B.) no more than one seven reference frames.

What are the Fuze+ video requirements for placement of video files in the directory structures?  Must all videos be placed in some specific folder like a “Videos” folder on both internal and card storage?

My particular question is this:

If a video file is in the root folder of a micro SD card, will it be playable by the Fuze?  

I have not found the answer to this question in the user guide (it only talks of loading video via SMC), nor on this forum, and the question has gone unanswered in another thread:

Thanks.

First, most replies might have to be explained in “Books for dummies”. I converted some of my avi (xvid) to my fuse using the SMC. It seem to do fine. So i wanted to convert more and the same one from before and put them on the microSD. But could not get it to do anything(the convert would not highlight) I want to have differant SDs with music,video,pictures. I wanted to be able to use them in other devices that would play MPEG4, JPEG, MP3. I have notice that most devices will play these formats(at least that what they say). Most of my formats are AVI,3gp,WMV, and maybe apple music. I have not tried Handbrake yet cause it wont work on my HP netbook(not enough resolution). Looking for free converter cause on very tight budget. thankyou for any help.