FLAC wont work

Hello everybody, I got this Sansa clip because it’s supposed to work with 24bit FLAC. I downloaded FLAC and mp3 music. The mp3 works fine, but I can’t get flac to play. Any suggestions?

@mikemc wrote:
Hello everybody, I got this Sansa clip because it’s supposed to work with 24bit FLAC. I downloaded FLAC and mp3 music. The mp3 works fine, but I can’t get flac to play. Any suggestions?

Where did you see or hear this? 24-bit FLAC files are not supported on Sansa mp3 players, only 16-bit.

You need to either convert them to 16 bit FLACs (44.1khz for best results) or else use rockbox.

I recently bought the Beatles catalog on a USB. There are two formats, flac 24bit and mp3 320 bit rate. My ipod touch wont play flac and I saw on QVC where they were selling this and they pointed out that it plays flac, but they forgot to tell the audience that it wont work with 24 bit, only 16 bit. Sandisk also had a memory loss because the box the player came in says flac, but nothing about 16 or 24 bit. Anyway, wouldn’t bringing it down to 16 bit make it sound like a regular cd? I bought the Beatles after being told how great 24 bit sounds. There just doesn’t seem to be a way to hear this music as intendid. What should I do at this point? Help. I thank you all in advance.

@mikemc wrote:
Anyway, wouldn’t bringing it down to 16 bit make it sound like a regular cd? I bought the Beatles after being told how great 24 bit sounds. There just doesn’t seem to be a way to hear this music as intendid.

The 24 bit “remaster” is essentially identical to the CD release, so you’re not losing anything. Its not like 24 bit recordings of old music actually exist, most old recordings from those days aren’t even 16 bit resolution. Its just a marketing thing to get people to pay for songs they already have.

@mikemc wrote:
What should I do at this point?

You can install rockbox and listen to them as is (rockbox contains a 24 bit flac decoder which can downsample everything to 16 bit for you), or convert them back to 16 bit yourself and use the sandisk firmware. Both will give you identical quality. Its depends which you prefer.