jillybean19
Accepted Solution

E280 recovery mode error, then asked to enter USB2.0 MSD mode

I've always had errors with my player, but now when I turn it on, I get "main image could not load, enter recovery mode" error.  I turn off the player, move the hold switch, hold the rec button and connect to my computer.  Now when the player turns on, I get "Welcome to Recovery Mode", USB cable connected, Enter USB2.0 MSD mode.

Anyone know what that is or how I do it?

SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

Re: E280 recovery mode error, then asked to enter USB2.0 MSD mode

[ Edited ]

I just love cryptic error messages.  "Enter USB2.0 Mass Storage Device mode", and a notation of a connection, are good things.

Your Sansa is telling you that it is in Recovery Mode, and it is communicating as a Mass Storage Class device (MSC versus MSD, splitting hairs on the exact definition is all).

The "main image" it is referring to is the firmware for the e200.

Download and unzip the firmware mi4 and BL_SD rom files here, let's run with version 18.  Inside this zipped archive, you'll find two files.  UNZIP them, and place them on your desktop.

Then, with the Sansa v1 connected in Recovery Mode, you'll need to open a Windows Explorer window.   Double click on My Computer.  See the new icon, 16MB FORMAT?  Double click on this to open the reserved partition of your Sansa, the home of your firmware files.

No matter what you do, DO NOT use the Windows Format command on this reserved partition!

Drag and drop the two firmware files into the partition (open window).  Right click after transfer, and select Eject.

Slide the HOLD switch back to the left, and unplug your e200.

The firmware will automatically reinstall.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 05-18-2009 09:40 AM
jrv
jrv

BOB!  You Rock!!  Thank you Thank you Thank you :smileyvery-happy:
erinwtz

PLEASE HELP!!!

My sandisk told me to put it into recovery mode, so I did. Now the screen reads "welcome to recovery mode. USB cable connected. enter USB 2.0 MSD mode"

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
ODM Ver.: S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.02.24A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2007.12.24
Build Number: (Build 32.10)

I have it in recovery mode... its a sandisk e280. Does that mean i cannot use the firmware for the e200?

If so, where do I find the correct firmware? What should I do?

HELP!

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

E200 firmware is for all the units: 250, 260, 280. Follow the directions with the firmware you get here.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
tedybear123

ThanK you SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUCH!!!I was looking for a solution since 2007,for 2 year,my mp3 was blackout!!!
poof

Thank You So Much!!!!!! My Sansa had dumped everything and I mean everything all I got was a scrolling screen of little boxes. None of the buttons worked . could only shut down by reset. Computer would not recognize, nothing, nada, :smileyhappy:
namteiv

I have to say bob,it took me a time or two but you fixed it.Although I lost everything, I still have the device.I was so ready to smash the thing and throw it away.lol I tried 4 or 5 postings, just kept getting worse. I am so happy i stubled onto your post, ty so much for helping myself and others out. I was getting board with the old music anyways.
cms
cms

i attempted this on my e250 and when it reset the screen went blank and never came back.  Any thoughts?
Trevize

Hi,

I've tried everything so far (except the Ubuntu trick, cause I'm not into Linux) but no success in restoring my old Sansa e280. Here is the situation :

1. When trying to power it up, only the srcoll wheel becomes blue. Nothing at all on screen, total black out;

2. When connecting the USB cable on the device and on my computer (Vista 64 bit), the computer recognises a "Tango Media Digital Platform" and ask to install the driver, wich of course I don't have.

What can I do about it? I really don't what to do. I have tried for a year now and I am about to throw that piece of junk...sorry about that! Please help me...