E280 recovery mode error, then asked to enter USB2.0 MSD mode

I’ve always had errors with my player, but now when I turn it on, I get “main image could not load, enter recovery mode” error.  I turn off the player, move the hold switch, hold the rec button and connect to my computer.  Now when the player turns on, I get “Welcome to Recovery Mode”, USB cable connected, Enter USB2.0 MSD mode.

Anyone know what that is or how I do it?

I just love cryptic error messages.  “Enter USB2.0 Mass Storage Device mode”, and a notation of a connection, are good things.

Your Sansa is telling you that it is in Recovery Mode, and it is communicating as a Mass Storage Class device (MSC versus MSD, splitting hairs on the exact definition is all).

The “main image” it is referring to is the firmware for the e200.

Download and unzip the firmware mi4 and BL_SD rom files here, let’s run with version 18.  Inside this zipped archive, you’ll find two files.  UNZIP them, and place them on your desktop.

Then, with the Sansa v1 connected in Recovery Mode, you’ll need to open a Windows Explorer window.   Double click on My Computer.  See the new icon, 16MB FORMAT?  Double click on this to open the reserved partition of your Sansa, the home of your firmware files.

No matter what you do, DO NOT use the Windows Format command on this reserved partition!

Drag and drop the two firmware files into the partition (open window).  Right click after transfer, and select Eject.

Slide the HOLD switch back to the left, and unplug your e200.

The firmware will automatically reinstall.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 05-18-2009 09:40 AM

BOB!  You Rock!!  Thank you Thank you Thank you :smileyvery-happy:

PLEASE HELP!!!

My sandisk told me to put it into recovery mode, so I did. Now the screen reads “welcome to recovery mode. USB cable connected. enter USB 2.0 MSD mode”

Version Info: Product Rev.: PP5022AF-05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
Base Code: 05.51-S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
ODM Ver.: S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.02.24A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2007.12.24
Build Number: (Build 32.10)

I have it in recovery mode… its a sandisk e280. Does that mean i cannot use the firmware for the e200?

If so, where do I find the correct firmware? What should I do?

HELP!

E200 firmware is for all the units: 250, 260, 280. Follow the directions with the firmware you get here.

ThanK you SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUCH!!!I was looking for a solution since 2007,for 2 year,my mp3 was blackout!!!

Thank You So Much!!! My Sansa had dumped everything and I mean everything all I got was a scrolling screen of little boxes. None of the buttons worked . could only shut down by reset. Computer would not recognize, nothing, nada, :smiley:

I have to say bob,it took me a time or two but you fixed it.Although I lost everything, I still have the device.I was so ready to smash the thing and throw it away.lol I tried 4 or 5 postings, just kept getting worse. I am so happy i stubled onto your post, ty so much for helping myself and others out. I was getting board with the old music anyways.

i attempted this on my e250 and when it reset the screen went blank and never came back.  Any thoughts?

Hi,

I’ve tried everything so far (except the Ubuntu trick, cause I’m not into Linux) but no success in restoring my old Sansa e280. Here is the situation :

1. When trying to power it up, only the srcoll wheel becomes blue. Nothing at all on screen, total black out;

2. When connecting the USB cable on the device and on my computer (Vista 64 bit), the computer recognises a “Tango Media Digital Platform” and ask to install the driver, wich of course I don’t have.

What can I do about it? I really don’t what to do. I have tried for a year now and I am about to throw that piece of junk…sorry about that! Please help me…

e280 version 1 or 2?

Version 1…sorry!

@trevize wrote:

I’ve tried everything so far (except the Ubuntu trick, cause I’m not into Linux) but no success in restoring my old Sansa e280. Here is the situation :

1. When trying to power it up, only the srcoll wheel becomes blue. Nothing at all on screen, total black out;
  1. When connecting the USB cable on the device and on my computer (Vista 64 bit), the computer recognises a “Tango Media Digital Platform” and ask to install the driver, wich of course I don’t have.

What can I do about it? I really don’t what to do. I have tried for a year now and I am about to throw that piece of junk…sorry about that! Please help me…

Try this.

@trevize wrote:

1. When connecting the USB cable on the device and on my computer (Vista 64 bit), the computer recognises a “Tango Media Digital Platform” and ask to install the driver, wich of course I don’t have.

Try this.

Thanks…but is there a way to recover with Windows Vista 64 bit?

You don’t need anything but a screwdriver to try neutron_bob’s suggestion:

“If the Sansa will not boot, it’s entirely possible that a mechanical connection to the flash memory daughterboard can cause serious headaches.  To check this, remove the rear cover, and inspect the big black rectangle above the battery module.  You’ll see a grey foam block there, which keeps the daughterboard pressed inward.  Go ahead and give it a gentle press.  If the board clicks back down into its socket, you may have just solved your problem.”

Already tried this too. I’ve pressed the grey thing, it seems to get back in place, but then…nothing.

Neutron Bob, you are the BOMB.  You do rock, sir.  I was at a loss… this kid in Cambodia thought he had lost his Sansa e260 forever, and so did I… I thought, one last try… your instructions were perfect, to the hilt.  Koodoes to you and you just made Ngoy’s day (well, he will be overjoyed tomorrow!!  It is now after midnight)…Ngoy had saved for MONTHS for this thing… If I were closer I’d buy you a coffee.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge in such a clear, concise way, and putting the link to the compressed files was key!  Yours indebtedly,  PV Pilgrim 

My e200r is showing more then 2.0GB. what to do? please help!!!
it is also not getting recovered by the softwere(sansa device recovery tool).

@kamalbhagia wrote:

My e200r is showing more then 2.0GB. what to do? please help!!!
it is also not getting recovered by the softwere(sansa device recovery tool).

Explain your situation better. The way your post is written, I (and most likely others) can’t understand your problem.