Highlighted
Accepted Solution

E260 Firmware Update Issues

I have a Sansa E260 with a possible screen failure. But before I deep six it, I want to try to reinstall the firmware. Two issues. The first is which version do I have? I thought it was an R version, but the version.txt gives and version.sdk both indicate

01.02.24A, so I assume it is not an R version. Second issue is how to get the unit in msc mode without any screen guidance. I am guessing I am not in msc mode. When I look at the directory in windows there is one subdirectory labeled PPI NAND. If i try to drag the .mi4 file or .rom file to the root, I get a message that the file is not supported. And then a second pop up message indicates it is trying to copy to the subdirectory rather than the root (the copy does not take place).

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: E260 Firmware Update Issues

Found the solution for forcing msc mode. See http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/197. The root accepted the files and appeared the firmware updated (which is to say the files were no longer in the root directory with a look after completion. Alas, the screen still has random pixels so the failure appears to be hardware.

SanDisk Guru

That's too bad, but I'm not surprised that the firmware re-application did not solve the issue. The e200 series player is built like the proverbial Sherman tank but alas, is not without a limited life-span.

SanDisk User

Maybe it's just one of those tough luck. I rarely see this issue. I think this is the first time I've heard of it though.