Clip Zip shuts off when refreshing media

Hi

I’ve recently purchased a clip zip with a 32GB micro SD card

I’ve tried a number of ways of transferring the music onto the Zip, either by dragging and dropping or syncing with the Banshee music player.  However, each time when the zip states ‘refreshing your media’ the progress bar only gets a short way across before the music player shuts down.

I’ve read on this forum and elsewhere that this is a probably an issue with tags.  I’ve tried to use EasyTag, but I can’t see what the problem with the tags is.

Thanks for any help.

Don’t use EasyTag. Despite its name, many people have problems with it and it writes a tag format the player can’t read.

MP3Tag is the overwhelming choice for easy, problem-free tags.

@tapeworm wrote:

Don’t use EasyTag. Despite its name, many people have problems with it and it writes a tag format the player can’t read.

MP3Tag is the overwhelming choice for easy, problem-free tags.

+1

Hi

Thanks for the replies

I’ve tried using MP3Tag but it won’t let me change the tags - I get the error message ‘cannot be opened for writing’.  I’m following the instructions here and trying to delete non essential tags

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Freezing-on-Refreshing-Your-Media/td-p/256789/page/2

Perhaps your files have become corrupt. Assuming your files are in mp3 format, you may be able to repair them with MP3Diags. Or you can try to get them from wherever they came from in the first place.

@lunky wrote:

Hi

Thanks for the replies

I’ve tried using MP3Tag but it won’t let me change the tags - I get the error message ‘cannot be opened for writing’.   I’m following the instructions here and trying to delete non essential tags

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Freezing-on-Refreshing-Your-Media/td-p/256789/page/2

Did you by chance set them to read-only mode?

Hi

Thanks for the replies

I’ve solved the issue now using MP3Tag.

A lot of the tags said ‘cannot be opened for writing’ but I just pressed ‘Yes’ to continue and to skip over those ones.  The others were changed and now my Sansa Clip works perfectly.

Hi

I have a clip zip with 32Gb card. Transferred folders and files  successfully to the card , which are a mixture of m4a and mp3.

The clip stops (goes black) after a short period while “refreshing media”

As I use an Ubuntu notebook I do not have “mp3tag” to edit tags. Any suggestions as to what to do?

Also I have approx 7,000 music files (24Gb) so a mass program to fix is required.

You can try Kid3 to edit your ID3 tags in the linux environment. Here’s a  handy [comparison](/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/ClipZip/message-id/) of tag editors I found.

The link for Kid3 is here. Under the download section, you’ll see an Ubuntu package.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The can’t be opened for writing probably means the file is open with another application(perhaps Windows Media player or some other media player)? It happened to me a few times until I realized what was causing it.