SanDisk User

Clip Zip SDXC Card Support?

[ Edited ]

Hi

Work Clip Zip with a SDXC Card?

Everyone tested it?

SanDisk Guru

Re: Clip Zip SDXC Card Support?

Not "everyone", but I read that "someone" did. It works if you re-format the card to FAT32.

SanDisk User

Sounds good.

I take a look on SanDisk SDSDQY-064G-U46A Mobile Ultra 6 MicroSDXC 64GB for Clip Zip with Original Firmware.

SanDisk Guru

Note that there is still an 8,000 track database limit on the Zip player. This amount could easily be exceeded if using .mp3 files and this large a memory card.

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

No so easily. :-)

With a 32 Gig SD and 8 Gig Clip Zip i have 4500 MP3 Files. 192 KBPs.

Is the 8000 File Limit Hardware or Software based?

Can Firmware Update increase the Limit?

Similar the max 1000 Entry Limit in one Playlist.

SanDisk Guru

It's firmware based.  But unlikely that SanDisk will be making any modification to the Clip firmware for the current players, at this point, to increase the limit.

Note, though, that the alternative Rockbox firmware does not have this limit.  Smiley Happy

SanDisk Guru

Koto wrote:
No so easily. :-)

With a 32 Gig SD and 8 Gig Clip Zip i have 4500 MP3 Files. 192 KBPs.

Don't be too sure. You add another 32GB to that equation and you're almost there, especially when you consider the fact this 8,000 is only an 'estimated' limit. Many things can affect the actual count, such as very long track names, large embedded album art, deeply nested folder/file heirarchy, etc. Many have posted here that they have hit the ceiling at 5,000 tracks or even less.

SanDisk Fanatic

Tapeworm wrote:

Not "everyone", but I read that "someone" did. It works if you re-format the card to FAT32.

Windows (7) makes it hard to format the 64 GB microSDXC card to FAT32, but it was easy on a Mac.

With a few MP3s on it the Clip Zip worked fine, but after loading the card with 49.2 GB, the progress bar during database refreshing always freezes at 55% (the Clip+ behaves exactly the same, BTW). So I can't get it to start again with inserted 64 GB card. This with firmware 01.01.17 and 01.01.20.

Actually the need for FAT32 makes me pessimistic in view of firmware upgrades enabling real SDXC compatibility, but who knows.

SanDisk Guru

JaZZ wrote:

With a few MP3s on it the Clip Zip worked fine, but after loading the card with 49.2 GB, the progress bar during database refreshing always freezes at 55% (the Clip+ behaves exactly the same, BTW). So I can't get it to start again with inserted 64 GB card. This with firmware 01.01.17 and 01.01.20.

This is generally caused by an ID3 tag that the player can't read during its refresh cycle. I doubt it has anything to do with the larger sized card.

SanDisk Fanatic

Tapeworm wrote:
This is generally caused by an ID3 tag that the player can't read during its refresh cycle. I doubt it has anything to do with the larger sized card.

I heavily doubt that. All of the files are the same or the same kind that work on the 32-GB SDHC card, ripped and encoded by myself, and the tags are all ID V1, carefully handmade by myself. After all the player officially supports cards up to 32 GB, not more.