Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

Hi there, I have been using Clip players for the last four years and I love the way they are constantly being updated and improved. Here’s a feature request I would love to see implemented: I mainly use the Clip player to listen to podcasts which are automatically synced with my player when I connect it to my PC. What I’d love to have would be an option to enable a mode that automatically deletes a podcast once it has been completely listened to. This way I wouldn’t have to go through my podcast directories and delete them manually. I’m sure not everybody would want this to happen but if it was an optional feature I believe many would appreciate this possibility. I often realize two minutes into a podcast that I have already listened to it as the opening sequences are pretty often quite interchangeable. Thanks for considering the idea, keep up the great work.

A good option, as long as optional.  In the meanwhile, you know that you can delete files from/while on the player, right?  And so just delete the file after listening to it.  

Yeah man, thanks for the tip. I know I can manually delete them. But first of all it takes some time to do so and secondly, you have to be fast to delete them while they’re still playing. And going through all the files you have listened to is a bit of a hassle on the player itself. As I mainly listen to news and talk podcasts I accumulate quite a few files on the player over time and it would be a wonderful feature if the player kept itself tidy while listening. I’m not sure about how easy it would be to implement this, but I have a feeling it could be quite doable. Also, it would give the player one more advantage over other players as soon as people pick up on it.

From your mouth to the developers’ ears . . . . 

Can you, in new versions of your firmware use a different, more improved decoder for the FLAC and MP3?
Quality of reproduction of the FLAC files is worse in comparison with WAV/source :cry:
But the file encoded in FLAC does not have to vary the sound quality from the original / source.
Quality of reproduction of the MP3 files too could be better.

Ps. Sorry for my bad English.

Support higher bit rate flac files.  It’s okay if they just play as 16-bit as long as they PLAY.

Album art.  Seriously.  Increase the filesize cap to at least 4X what it is now, which is kind of useless.

Thank you for your time.

Hi, I would like to request a very simple but useful feature:

When playing music by file/folder, add the capabillity to play the fist song of the next folder automatically after the last song of current one. It could be called something like cotinous playback

I’m stuck to rockBox (wich I don’t like a lor) 'cause i really use that feature.

Seconded, thirded, and fourth’ed.  ;)

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Zip-Feedback-and-Feature-Request-Thread/m-p/276604/highlight/true#M3053

Miikerman

Well, you can answer?

Will you do something about this issue or it will remain as before.

@kero wrote:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/Clip-Zip-Feedback-and-Feature-Request-Thread/m-p/276604/highlight/true#M3053

Miikerman

Well, you can answer?

Sorry, I’m just a user just like you, who hopes that the good folks at SanDisk are listening . . . . 

:smileyvery-happy:, I thought you were an admin, you have so many posts. Then I’m sorry :flushed:.

@kero wrote:

Miikerman

Well, you can answer?

To be clear, Sandisk uses the official FLAC decoder, so it is every bit as lossless as the decoder you use on your PC.

I do not know what they’re using but even the official FLAC decoder can be spoiled by some errors in the code or something else.
I am versed in sound quality is very good and what I wrote is not just empty words.

About mp3:
98% of the MP3 decoders produce poor-quality sound, this applies to the Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec.

@kero wrote:

I do not know what they’re using but even the official FLAC decoder can be spoiled by some errors in the code or something else.
I am versed in sound quality is very good and what I wrote is not just empty words.

Yes, but this is very unlikely.  I doubt they have modified it at all.  When I looked at the sandisk decoders most of them appeared to be just the stock code.  What makes you think otherwise?

@kero wrote:

About mp3:
98% of the MP3 decoders produce poor-quality sound, this applies to the Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec.

No you’re mistaken.  All modern MP3 decoders produce essentially identical output, and its been unheard of for two of them to produce audiably different output for the last 10 years.  

@kero wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:, I thought you were an admin, you have so many posts. Then I’m sorry :flushed:.

'Sall right–and great suggestion there!   :slight_smile:

@saratoga wrote:

No you’re mistaken.  All modern MP3 decoders produce essentially identical output, and its been unheard of for two of them to produce audiably different output for the last 10 years.  

Well, I would argue with you but do not know very well English.
I hope the producers are reading this forum, because it seems that all the posts go into a black hole.

@kero wrote:

@saratoga wrote:

Well, I would argue with you but do not know very well English.
I hope the producers are reading this forum, because it seems that all the posts go into a black hole.

:laughing:

Hi there,

a real killer feature would be to load the cover in the background while you browse your albums.

If this is already possible, please let me know. :smiley:

Cheers

My old Clip died recently so I’ve moved to Clip Zip and I couldn’t be more dissapointed… The battery lifetime is lame as hell and the software is sooooooooooo buggy… So… here we go:

SOFTWARE VERSION: 1.01.20P

LANG: English

REGION: rest of the world 

1. Listening to podcast from SD:

• listen to podcast - context menu -> delete podcast

BUG: you’re now transfered to other podcast

EXPECTED: moved to next podcast in the same podcast group OR return to podcast group

2. Listening to podcast from SD (hard to reproduce):

• turn off sansa while the podcast is playing

• turn it on and press play BUG: you can’t pause playback

• it’s like it registers two-click

EXPECTED: playback paused

3. Jumping in Albums:

Given albums:

Hate Crew Deathroll  

hatebreeder

Ho Drakon Ho Megas 

• go to albums

• double click middle button

• following list of letters appear:

H

h

H

EXPECTED: to have only one H - so it’s case independent

4. Jumping in Albums inconsisten behaviour:

Given following list of albums:

Killswitch Engage

• SCENARIO A: in albums double click middle button go to J and then go to K -> “Karma” album is highlighted

• SCENARIO B: in albums double click middle button go to L and then go to K -> “Killswitch Engage” album is highlighted

EXPECTED: jumping to letter should focus always first album eg. in above “Karma” should be highlighted in scenario A and B

5. Jumping in albums - bizarre state:

• in albums double click middle button, go to desired letter

BUG/FEATURE: pressing middle button goes into folder

EXPECTED: pressing middle button should hide letter-jump-list and nothing more

6. Pressing Back plays different album:

• go to music play albums

• randomly (can’t figure when) pressing “back” doesn’t go to the song list in album but plays a different album

EXPECTED: pressing “back” always goes to logical “up”

7. Refreshing data changes:

BUG/FEATURE: refreshing shows that progressbar is full and hangs there for 5 min on 32 GB SD card with 29 GB of music EXPECTED: progressbar includes rebuilding of SD songs so when it’s full it’s done NICE TO HAVE: estimated time of completion

I’ve found this issues by using Clip Zip for only 4 days now… I was promoting the original Clip to all my friends, with Clip Zip I can’t do that - it’s a mixture of irritating bugs and a bad design choices. I’d more more happy to help give more detailed information if needed.

The Clip Zip  has some cool attributes, things that are fun to have in such a small device. There is one big caveat in that if you came from the earlier Clips, there are a few trade-offs.

The Clip+  is still, thankfully, available. If speed and functionality are tantamount, this is the Sansa of Choice. The Clip+ is brilliant, atomic fast, and is quite bulletproof.

It just lacks the bling factor of the Clip Zip , doesn’t it?  I really like to see the album art, one of the remaining things from my youth, associating the music with that wonderful 12-inch LP, and its wonderfully large space for the album cover. The Compact Disc killed much of that, with its wee jewel box.

I like the overall feel of the Clip Zip, its larger control, and its strong clip. The finish is great, and the full color OLED display is fun. In contrast, the all-black face of the little Clip+ is all business, very understated, kind of like the Lockheed U-2, isn’t it? 

Waiting for the little Zip to refresh, one of the downsides of that bling is that album art.  The device takes more time to wade through all that information, while the Clip+ simply ignores the image data.

I listem to podcasts daily on the Zip, keeping them to the “internal” memory.  It’s more convenient (on mine) to delete the old podcasts en masse while connected to the computer, since I often go back a day or two to review a particular story.

It’s been a while since the Zip has had an update (April '12), hoping to see some refinement with the displayof that album art, especially the remaining bug where the album art reverts to a smaller thumbnail (main Music menu art), and where Audiobook / Podcast art disappears in favor of the generic “pattern” background.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: