Clip Zip Feedback and Feature Request Thread

@jk98 wrote:

Rockbox seems too difficult to use while someone is walking around outdoors. I guess it might not be that difficult to use if one is sitting down and wearing reading glasses. :slight_smile:

The theme I have installed is easier to read than the original firmware.

A nice thing about Rockbox is its theme gallery (choose the one you like), as well as the ability to create your own (or modify one of the pre-existing ones). But if the Clip Zip what’s playing music screen is amended (some might even say “fixed” . . .) so as to add elapsed time and remaining time, and track no./total tracks, I would never have a need to go the Rockbox route. Hint, hint . . . . :wink:

@miikerman wrote:
A nice thing about Rockbox is its theme gallery (choose the one you like), as well as the ability to create your own (or modify one of the pre-existing ones). But if the Clip Zip what’s playing music screen is amended (some might even say “fixed” . . .) so as to add elapsed time and remaining time, and track no./total tracks, I would never have a need to go the Rockbox route. Hint, hint . . . . :wink:

I don’t buy that line for even a minute…you never  installed Rockbox  on any of your Clips or Clip+'s, did you? I’d be shocked if you had, considering how many posts you have made, especially in the other forum, warning of what could theoretically happen if they did install it. :stuck_out_tongue:

One thing to consider…maybe part of the reason the Zip db refresh is a little quicker than that of the Clip+ is that a little more memory is freed up by not having to display that information. Also, say you go to shuffle all, on both players…the C+ will say, for example,  1/952, and the Zip will not. Perhaps this also contributes to the quicker refresh time.

In all honesty, if there was no Rockbox, I would prefer the Zip to the Clip+…the customizable menu is really nice, and I prefer the sound of the Zip to the non-RB Clip+ slightly.  Add RB to the Clip+, and now they sound the same  (with no EQ) but the battery life is better on the C+, especially if you don’t use MP3. Since most of the time, battery life isn’t an issue for me, I am perfectly happy with whichever one I happen to use each day.:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

I don’t buy that line for even a minute…you never  installed Rockbox  on any of your Clips or Clip+'s, did you? I’d be shocked if you had, considering how many posts you have made, especially in the other forum, warning of what could theoretically happen if they did install it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haven’t installed Rockbox on my Clips; have had it on my iRiver iHP-160 for around 5 years now (using the theme I had developed for it and that was one of the Rokbox themes for the player) . . . .

@marvin_martian wrote:

If you could live without the database functions, and just use folder browsing and the GoList, then you could get by without adding RAM. 

Folder Browsing in the Clip and Fuze are still based on the DB and subject to the limit.

If I go to Music/Folders, I still only see the folders that were added to the DB.

Unlike Rockbox, where I have true folder navigation to the drive, the Sansa Firmware still only provides folder navigation to those files that are registered in the DB.

so folder browsing doesn’t work to bypass the limit.  Believe me, I have tried with the Fuze.!!!

@p_opus wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

If you could live without the database functions, and just use folder browsing and the GoList, then you could get by without adding RAM. 

Folder Browsing in the Clip and Fuze are still based on the DB and subject to the limit.

If I go to Music/Folders, I still only see the folders that were added to the DB.

Unlike Rockbox, where I have true folder navigation to the drive, the Sansa Firmware still only provides folder navigation to those files that are registered in the DB.

so folder browsing doesn’t work to bypass the limit.  Believe me, I have tried with the Fuze.!!!

Well, that is an almighty bummer. :cry:

In that case, the only function the folder browsing would serve is to help out people with tags that are lacking…that seems like a bit of a fail to me then. :dizzy_face:

@marvin_martian wrote:

(edit)…the only function the folder browsing would serve is to help out people with tags that are lacking…that seems like a bit of a fail to me then. :dizzy_face:

Folder browsing is good for compilation albums.  I have a folder that contains over 80 songs from more than 20 different artists/groups.   Many of these songs are from albums that I don’t want to put on my player or are just singles.  Without folder nav, I’d have to use playlists which I don’t like to use.

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

(edit)…the only function the folder browsing would serve is to help out people with tags that are lacking…that seems like a bit of a fail to me then. :dizzy_face:

Folder browsing is good for compilation albums.  I have a folder that contains over 80 songs from more than 20 different artists/groups.   Many of these songs are from albums that I don’t want to put on my player or are just singles.  Without folder nav, I’d have to use playlists which I don’t like to use.

You know, I never thought about compilation albums in that regard…I just scroll through the album list (much easier now with the Zip’s alphabet browsing) , and don’t load the songs I don’t like. Now that you bring up the P-word (playlist),  that reminds me of the one use I have had for folders every once in a while…to make a kind of pseudo-playlist.

Track Info for podcasts.     This was a feature of the Clip + that appears to be missing from the Clip Zip.    For folks that listen to a lot of podcasts, the date is very helpful in a) deciding what to listen to, and b) understanding the context of the discussion in the podcast. 

I think a few things that could be on the new firmware:

-elapsed time and time remaining for songs (maybe you could make it an optional feature if some people don’t want it). This is important for me because I use it for backing tracks when playing guitar and its easier to practice a part when you what time it is.

-how many songs in your current selection, like the old clip (eg. if your listening to an album it would say song 03/12 or if your listening to your whole collection say song 55/600)

And another thing not firmware related;

-maybe the buttons could be a little less sensitive; I was walking with the Clip Zip unlocked in my pocket and it kept on going to the next song or going back to the beginning. having to unlock it and lock it each time i want to change songs is a bit of a pain because sometimes i want to skip through songs.

But apart from that its good so thanks Sansa!

I have two request:  When you were playing a song on the sansa clip+, you had the choice to play all the songs from the artist, for example, it would say, Play all, In the sansa clip zip, It doesn’t have this option, it only says, shuffle list, and then the albums. I wish you could be fixed.

Second, there was an option where you could bring up a menu that reads, “Back to music list.” It doesn’t have this in the zip. If you could fix these two things I’d be happy.  :slight_smile:

@ross2011 wrote:

I have two request:  When you were playing a song on the sansa clip+, you had the choice to play all the songs from the artist, for example, it would say, Play all, In the sansa clip zip, It doesn’t have this option, it only says, shuffle list, and then the albums. I wish you could be fixed.

Second, there was an option where you could bring up a menu that reads, “Back to music list.” It doesn’t have this in the zip. If you could fix these two things I’d be happy.  :) 

I miss the Play All option as well, Ros2011, and would like to see it come back (it would seem to be easy to do).  But also note that there is a nifty option with the GoList playlist:  you can add an Artist’s entire collection to it at a single time, likewise an entire album at a time, and then play the GoList.  To do this, with the artist or album highlighted on a list, simply press and hold the center select button; and then choose and play the GoList under the Music listing.

As to getting back to the music list, it might just work for you to either press and hold, or press multiple times, the small Go Back button at the 11 o’clock position on the front pad. 

But good to hear that I’m not the only one missing the Play All option.

How often does sansa do Firmwire updates… because this is the first time I’ve ever updated my device?

For newer, actively supported players like the Zip, updates are usually issued every three months (approximately). Discontinued players don’t get updates.

Ok thanks… I know for OS on computers, it’s every month

As one probably would guess, the more recent the player, likely the more frequent the firmware upgrades.

PLEASE!!!

Raise the 8000 song DB Limit at least to the 10000+ song limit on the Fuze+.  This player is capable of supporting a 32GB microSD card for a total 40GB storage.

Since this player is incapable of running Video, then it is a music only player.

I have a mix of 128kps MP3’s ( and greater) and 6700 tracks that fit on less than 27GB. of storage.  The Fuze is only capable of addressing 5537 of them.  Much less than the advertised 8000.

I currently have a two Fuzes, a 4GB backup and 8GB primary player.  I also have a Fuze+ which DOES fit all my content, but the touch controls and laggy UI make it nearly unusable.  And the lack of tactile controls make it completely unusable in the dark.

I do love the Fuze, but I realize that Lithium Ion batteries have a tendancy to discharge even if it is not being used.  As a result, I am always looking for my next player.

The Clip Zip will be it if the DB size increased.  Otherwise, I’ll have to think about a Clip+ rockboxed.

I like Album Art, so I’d prefer the Clip Zip. 

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE increase the DB size or at the VERY MINIMUM, offer TRUE folder browsing that reads the actual File Allocation Table on the flash memory instead of basing the folder navigation on the DB contents.

p_opus wrote:

The Clip Zip will be it if the DB size increased.  Otherwise, I’ll have to think about a Clip+ rockboxed.

I like Album Art, so I’d prefer the Clip Zip. 

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE increase the DB size or at the VERY MINIMUM, offer TRUE folder browsing that reads the actual File Allocation Table on the flash memory instead of basing the folder navigation on the DB contents.

PM sent. :wink:

@aj123 wrote:

I think a few things that could be on the new firmware:

-elapsed time and time remaining for songs (maybe you could make it an optional feature if some people don’t want it). This is important for me because I use it for backing tracks when playing guitar and its easier to practice a part when you what time it is.

-how many songs in your current selection, like the old clip (eg. if your listening to an album it would say song 03/12 or if your listening to your whole collection say song 55/600)

I agree with this. I also would like next track information when you click the center button while the current song is playing. I just got my new clip zip last week, and I love it! but these things would make it even better. 

@p_opus wrote:

Raise the 8000 song DB Limit at least to the 10000+ song limit on the Fuze+.  This player is capable of supporting a 32GB microSD card for a total 40GB storage.

I agree with you on this. If it has been done for the fuze+, it should also be the same for the clip zip. I would guess that the additional memory space needed for it shouldn’t be so great that users without a huge library will complain about it.

I have a mix of 128kps MP3’s ( and greater) and 6700 tracks that fit on less than 27GB. of storage.  The Fuze is only capable of addressing 5537 of them.  Much less than the advertised 8000.

When it comes to any advertisement, you know you should always read the fine print. :wink: