Can't delete music from my Sandisk e250 2GB MP3 Player without getting error message on laptop!

Well, I’m trying to take a few things OFF my Sandisk e250 2GB MP3 Player so I can put some newer things on it.  I hook it up to my laptop, the Windows Media Player loads and I begin to delete the music there, after clicking the Sansa player icon and getting the full listing of what’s on my player.

But almost as soon as it starts deleting, I get these error messages:

The error I get on the Windows Media Player screen:

Windows Media Player cannot delete a file from the device.

I click the help button there, and it takes me to the Microsoft Windows error page:

Windows Media Player Error Message Help

You’ve encountered error message C00D1238 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Cannot delete the file

Windows Media Player cannot delete a file from the portable device. This typically occurs when the device stops responding to Windows Media Player for some reason. Try doing one or more of the following:

• Disconnect the device from your computer, and then reconnect it.

• Reset the device. For information about how to reset your device, see the documentation that came with your device.

This message also shows up in a small pop-up Microsoft Windows box:

Windows Driver Foundation - User Mode Driver Framework Host Process stopped working and was closed - A Problem caused the application to stop working correctly.  Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

I’ve disconnected and reconnected several times, and that’s not working.  And I’d really rather NOT reformat, as I’ll lose everything and have to start from scratch.

Any ideas of another way to delete music from the player other than reformatting the player?

I’m pretty clueless about the process, so hopefully I am missing something really obvious :wink:

No, I’m c1u31355.

It may be a corrupt file. Just for the heck of it, try switching to MSC (under Settings/USB Mode) and try Error-Checking.

@rogerva wrote:

Well, I’m trying to take a few things OFF my Sandisk e250 2GB MP3 Player so I can put some newer things on it.  I hook it up to my laptop, the Windows Media Player loads and I begin to delete the music there, after clicking the Sansa player icon and getting the full listing of what’s on my player.

But almost as soon as it starts deleting, I get these error messages:

The error I get on the Windows Media Player screen:

Windows Media Player cannot delete a file from the device.

I click the help button there, and it takes me to the Microsoft Windows error page:

Windows Media Player Error Message Help

You’ve encountered error message C00D1238 while using Windows Media Player. The following information might help you troubleshoot the issue.

Cannot delete the file

Windows Media Player cannot delete a file from the portable device. This typically occurs when the device stops responding to Windows Media Player for some reason. Try doing one or more of the following:

• Disconnect the device from your computer, and then reconnect it.
  • Reset the device. For information about how to reset your device, see the documentation that came with your device.

This message also shows up in a small pop-up Microsoft Windows box:

Windows Driver Foundation - User Mode Driver Framework Host Process stopped working and was closed - A Problem caused the application to stop working correctly.  Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

I’ve disconnected and reconnected several times, and that’s not working.  And I’d really rather NOT reformat, as I’ll lose everything and have to start from scratch.

Any ideas of another way to delete music from the player other than reformatting the player?

I’m pretty clueless about the process, so hopefully I am missing something really obvious :wink:

Resetting is not the same as reformatting. Resetting is the same as turning off the power completely, then turning it back on (the normal “power-off” of the e200 doesn’t actually turn it off completely, it just goes into standby). To reset, hold the power button for ~15-20 seconds, then release it. Then press the power button breifly to turn it on again.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 06-29-2009 12:12 AM

Try browsing the file structure using Windows Explorer (rather than Windows Media Player).  Even in MTP mode you can find the player listed as a portable media player device.  Delete the files you no longer want on the player and use drag and drop to replace them.  Consider switching to MSC mode, formatting the player, and the reloading your media files.  You only need MTP mode for using DRM protected content.