Can not delete files from Sansa e260 v1

I have sansa e260 v1 player i am not able to delete songs from player i tried every available option on this forum i tried following options

chkdsk  (Not able to correct error )

recovery move

downgrade firmware

installing each available firmware for this version nothing seem to working it stops at writing image and nothing happens.

Correcting ID3 tags  

Deleteting files using media player ( when player restart files comes up again)

Using format.fmt file 

Please help me i searched very well in this forum , rockbox forum and other forums and no solution is working for me 

Go Sansa - Settings - USB mode and change it to the OTHER mode.

Songs put on in ‘one’ mode can’t be seen on the computer when the Sansa connected via the ‘other’ mode.

Thanks for the information.  This is the second time that I’ve seen instructions to go to the Settings mode and switch to the USB mode.  When I go the the Settings mode, I don’t have that option. Where else could I change this setting?

Upgrade your firmware. The v2 as sold in the box has early firmware that omitted the mode setting–unbelievable but true.  Upgrading will help other little glitches too.

Use the manual firmware upgrade.

There’s no reason to install the updater because there won’t be any more updates.

What exactly is your firmware version now? If you do not have the USB MODE option in your SETTINGS menu, that means you have a v2 player, and not a v1 as you say.

I am having this same problem. I have an e260v1 (firmware 01.02.18a).

There were music files on my device when I received it so I deleted them when I first connected to my computer (Vista, WMP11) - this was under MTP mode.  The files are gone and WMP11 can’t see them.  Then I synced some mp3 files to the player using WMP11 (5 albums).  I tried syncing one more album and in the middle of that the syncing froze, so I disconnected the device.

When it restarted, the new files I copied are not showing up at all and the names of the old files are still there.  If I try to play them, the screen fades a bit and then the device restarts itself.

If reconnect it to the computer, the files I transferred are on the device and the files I deleted are not, but when I disconnect the device, it still shows the wrong filenames and some funny filenames, like a bunch of squares…I suspect I have corrupt files…but I can not seem to fix them or remove them.

I have tried updating the firmware using the updater and manually (got stuck at writing main image)…but neither will stick, the device reboots and it is still running 01.02.18a.

I have tried using MSC mode, and I can delete files, but when I remove the device from the computer, the old filenames are still there and when I reconnect it the files I deleted are back!

I have tried sansa.fmt and it says it formats the drive and reboots but when it comes back up everything is the same.

I tried running chkdsk, but it won’t let me because the drive is in use.

Is it okay for me to reformat the main partition?  Would that work?

Is this what is considered a bricked sansa?  It doesn’t sound exactly like those problems, but it’s like a brick, nothing will change on it!

I’ve also noticed that when I am connected under MTP mode the device looses connection frequently - it doesn’t do this under MSC mode and it didn’t do it when I copied the first 5 albums to the device using WMP11 under MTP mode.

Please help me… this is a gift for son for his birthday this Thursday…thank you.

@mattmeyer71 wrote:

I am having this same problem. I have an e260v1 (firmware 01.02.18a).

There were music files on my device when I received it so I deleted them when I first connected to my computer (Vista, WMP11) - this was under MTP mode.  The files are gone and WMP11 can’t see them.  Then I synced some mp3 files to the player using WMP11 (5 albums).  I tried syncing one more album and in the middle of that the syncing froze, so I disconnected the device.

When it restarted, the new files I copied are not showing up at all and the names of the old files are still there.  If I try to play them, the screen fades a bit and then the device restarts itself.

If reconnect it to the computer, the files I transferred are on the device and the files I deleted are not, but when I disconnect the device, it still shows the wrong filenames and some funny filenames, like a bunch of squares…I suspect I have corrupt files…but I can not seem to fix them or remove them.

I have tried updating the firmware using the updater and manually (got stuck at writing main image)…but neither will stick, the device reboots and it is still running 01.02.18a.

I have tried using MSC mode, and I can delete files, but when I remove the device from the computer, the old filenames are still there and when I reconnect it the files I deleted are back!

I have tried sansa.fmt and it says it formats the drive and reboots but when it comes back up everything is the same.

I tried running chkdsk, but it won’t let me because the drive is in use.

Is it okay for me to reformat the main partition?  Would that work?

Is this what is considered a bricked sansa?  It doesn’t sound exactly like those problems, but it’s like a brick, nothing will change on it!

I’ve also noticed that when I am connected under MTP mode the device looses connection frequently - it doesn’t do this under MSC mode and it didn’t do it when I copied the first 5 albums to the device using WMP11 under MTP mode.

Please help me… this is a gift for son for his birthday this Thursday…thank you.

You might have a bad internal flash drive chip, in which case there’s not much you can do except to replace the internal chip with one from another v1 player.  (You can get defective parts players on eBay for not too much, but watch the shipping charges and also check around for prices on refurbished models before buying.) 

I would try to format it again, but it seems like you’ve already tried this multiple times.  Connect in MSC mode, right click on the drive in My Computer, and select Format…  Use FAT32 and don’t do the quick format option.  Do you get an error message?  See if you can run scandisk on it and do a thorough sector by sector check.

One more note:  you mention that it connects and disconnects at times.  Are you connecting the Sansa cable directly to your USB ports and not through a USB Hub or USB Extension?  Try both front and back panel USB ports, too.

There is a small chance that the problem is with the database, the index of the files, rather than the files themselves.Sometimes old listings get stuck in that index.

Follow these directions to un-Hide hidden folders.

Then, in MSC mode, look inside the SYSTEM file for DATA and delete that folder. When you disconnect and it reboots, it will build a new database from what is actually in the unit. 

It won’t help if your problem is with the hardware, but you never know…

I tried deleting database index also but this is also not working … No matter what i do it brings player to same state same files.

Thanks for the reply Markster.

I have tried sansa.fmt multiple times as a folder and as a file - both say they are formatting the device and complete just fine, but then when the machine restarts - everything is exactly the same as before.

To answer your other question:  When I connect the device under MTP mode, I am connecting it directly to the computer - no hubs or anything.  It is a laptop and has 4 USB ports (2 on each side) - I have not tried all of the different USB ports.

But I have tried connecting it and running all of these fixes on another laptop running vista (again directly to the USB port) and got the same result…as a last resort I tried connecting it to my old laptop (running XP) and got the same results - including, the connect/disconnect problem when in MTP mode…

I was reading on another forum about downgrading the firmware and I tried that, but it didn’t do anything either - I think you are correct about the defective internal flash drive chip…

I’m going to try returning it to Woot - though their return policy says most likely all I will get is a refund (minus shipping).  They probably don’t have more of these in stock right now…

Matt

@mattmeyer71 wrote:

I’m going to try returning it to Woot - though their return policy says most likely all I will get is a refund (minus shipping).  They probably don’t have more of these in stock right now…

Matt

They sent me another- but that was several week ago. -Battery was Dead On Arrival (DOA.)

I tried multiple “solutions” but the music wouldn’t go away:angry:  Finally found solution on Fixya. Read the “Best Solution” and “Solution #3”. When done remember to unlock the player and restart. Music should be GONE:smileyvery-happy:

Krustybaguette

krustybaguette wrote:

I tried multiple “solutions” but the music wouldn’t go away:angry:  Finally found solution on Fixya. Read the “Best Solution” and “Solution #3”. When done remember to unlock the player and restart. Music should be GONE:smileyvery-happy:

Nothing that is posted here, oh maybe about a gazillion times! :stuck_out_tongue: