Accepted Solution

usb flash drive not recognized

I have a sandisk cruzer 8gb flash drive, and 3 computers. the flash will work on 2 of the computers but not the 1 any ideas why. thank you

PS, the 1 computer will reconqize other usb devices

SanDisk Guru

Re: usb flash drive not recognized

any ideas why

Oxidized USB 3.0 contacts in the USB port can cause this.  A brief clean up with emory paper should work.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

I will try that, but the port on just the 1 computer does detect other usb devices just not the sandisk.

SOLUTION

1. Open Run (Win+R)
  2. Type “compmgmt.msc” , click Ok
  3. In left side click Disk Management, the Disk management window will open.
  4. In right side at the bottom you will get this option “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”. Expand this by click on ‘+’ button.
  5. You will see all the list of USB controllers.. you will find a “Unknown Device”
  6. Right click on Unknown Device and click Uninstall.
  7. Restart your system. Now connect USB, window will automatically install the drivers.

Thank you for your reply. I do not have the option “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”. In the Disk management window.

I also have the similar problem after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I tried different USB ports on my laptop and still no luck.

Sloved my problem by buying a new Front USB Audio I/O Input Output Control Panel Board Card. .

Mine was fine but no drive letter was assigned.  I just had to assign the letter in disk manangment and all worked again.