Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
monet0049

transfer photos from computer to Cruzer flash drive?

hey all!  im new to using a flash drive.  i just got it in the mail actually and i bought it so i could download all my photos from my computer to my drive and then delete them from my computer so i will have more space and hopefully a faster computer...i couldnt back them up on a disk because my drives are bad and dont work....first, is this a good idea (in other words, is it safe to put it all on a flash drive and have that as my only backup )  second, how do i actually make the transfer???

thanks to all!!!!

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Re: transfer photos from computer to Cruzer flash drive?

"first, is this a good idea (in other words, is it safe to put it all on a flash drive and have that as my only backup )"

If you delete the images from your hard drive than this USB drive is not a backup, it's your sole keeper of your files.  So, when the USB drive fails, and all things fail, it's not a question of if but rather when, you will loose all your photos.  If that is acceptable to you then yes this is a good idea. 

If you want the photos off the pc and backed up then I suggest copying them to 2 or more USB drives.  That way when one fails hopefully the photos can be restored from one of the other devices.

" delete them from my computer so i will have more space and hopefully a faster computer..."

More space yes, faster computer, highly unlikely.  A defrag of the hd would be more useful.

"second, how do i actually make the transfer???"

Drag & drop using Windows Explorer works.  And I'm sure there are photo apps that will do the transfer also.

Ed
monet0049

Wow thank you so much!!   that was really helpful!! :smileyhappy:......:smileyhappy:

SanDisk Guru
mags1230

Ed_P is right.  All drives will eventually fail, some sooner than others and having only one drive with all your photos on it could mean losing everything.  USB drives are inexpensive, depending on the amount of gigs that you need.  So having more than one isn't very costly.  But trying to recover your photos after a drive fails, and there's no guarantee that anything can be recovered, can be very expensive.

josesnyder

Connect you flash drive to the computer and one it is connected property start transferring your photos by copying all those which you wanted to transfer and save them to a location you choose. If you have disrupted the transfer then you may end up losing some of your photos so in that case you can use photo recovery software to recover photos from Flash Drive.

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

hmmmmm A response to a topic 6 months old and an indirect reference to REMO products, but no where do I see prices for the free downloads, so I have to ask, how much do they usually cost??

Ed
dessie

eyeadyne

I just bought a cruzer usb 2.0 flash drive but I do not know how to get my pictures off my lap top. Please help
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Move (or copy) them to your Cruzer drive just as you would to any other folder or place on your hard drive. :smileyfrustrated:

SanDisk User
beiker

Hi eyeadyne. You can just open 2 windows ( your pics folder) and the USB stick windows. Simply drag it over to the USB. Or you can even do a cut to have it removed from your laptop to save some space.