Repair corrupted pendrive

ADDENDUM TO: repair corrupted pendrive

I tried to “force mount” and got error report “lost boot designation”. Would “Boot-Repair” help me correct this? Could you recommend a procedure that would repair this pendrive for operation?

THANX:
Rick

Rixter, your lost GB can be explained in this thread http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/Problems-with-16-GB-sandisk-cruzer/td-p/272805

Until the industry promotes products read as gibibytes or GiB (binary) then this will always be confused.

To have a FULL 16GiB available the drive would have to have a REAL storage capacity of 17.18GB (rounded) or 17179869184 Bytes.

The 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer starts out with only 15698231296 bytes or 15.7GB which is actually only 14.62GiB.

-Ric

TO : KyZIX

Thanks for the link/explanation. I understood there was to be a certain amount of difference between advertised and actual useage. However, I didn’t feel I should’ve lost 1.2Gb!!! I have an 8 Gb that actually allows for 7.6.Gb useage, so you see why I felt there’s a discrepency (7.6x2=15.2)  Something that was not explained in the link was the manufactures also allow for a certian percentage of blocks for “reallocation”, thus reducing actual useage space. Anyway, yes it’s a"marketing" ploy and should be advertised in 'actual" and not 'assumed" Gb useage. BTW…any ideas about how to repair 'lost root designation"?

Stay Sharp:
Rick

Rixter, If it were me, I would use Recuva from Piriform. It is a free product that only wants to install Google Chrome as a browser that you can decline through the installation options. This product will try and allow you to salvage the data from your drive (TO ANOTHER DRIVE!). After salvaging the data you can then reconfigure (format) the drive. Recuva will allow you to select the drive even without a drive letter.

to _ KyZIX _

_   _    I’ve tried Boot-Repair, Gparted, disk utility, and MSWin to try to "format the drive. I’ve tried to write all zero’s to it. I’ve tried DBAN DoD erasure…none of which worked. The problem is “lost boot designation”. I need to repai/rebulid that before I can do anything with the drive. I can “read” the disk, cannot write to it, I know what’s on the disk, but it’s not all that important.(LM17.1 rebecca). I just want/need to get the disk back into service. Funny, I’ve googled/binged that (lost boot designation) and am getting very little/next to nothing about it???. Are there Sandisk “techs” I can dispose at this sight? Perhaps this is a detail they may be able to help with. And please, I mean no offence to you or anyone who has tried to help. It’s just that noone seems to know what I’m talking about.

Stay Sharp:

Rick

I can “read” the disk, cannot write to it,

Read only mode is a known problem and the only solution is to return the drive for a free replacement.  There is no fix for it.

I’m going to ask:

IS THERE A WAY TO FORCE MOUNT  THIS PENDRIVE? I use a linux O.S. and when running dmseg, I get “buffer I/O error” . But what’s so puzzling is, when plugged in MSWin,  I check the drive and get “healthy partiton” “drive OK” even though it won’t mount??? I know…with the price of flashdrives these days why even mess with??? Because I like to fix things…if possible! And, does this site offer any advice/help from their 'techs"? If so, how do I contact them?

THANX:

Rick

Well, the drive is history. I tried 4 different pendrive" restoration programs and none could do a thing for it. It’s now on it’s way to the landfill. I want to THANK everyone who offered help/assisstence. I appreciated it!!

:wink:Rick

@rixter wrote:

I’m going to ask:

does this site offer any advice/help from their 'techs"? If so, how do I contact them?

This is a user’s forum, not a SanDisk tech support forum. There are no “techs” here.

You can contact SanDisk’s Tech Support here:

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

_ Tapeworm: _

Thanks for the link.  I’ll put this away for future reference. The pendrive is history. Tried 4 completely different programs to “repair” it and every one failed .Somehow, it destroyed the MBR and subsequently, couldn’t boot nor repair the MBR and wouldn’t mount. Seems a **bleep** shame, but that’s the second pendrive this machine/O.S. has destroyed in the past 2 months.

Stay Sharp:

Rick

Hi Rixter,

There is a manual procedure is available, maybe it helps you to resolve this problem. For the resolving this issue you need to follow below mention instruction

Open MS DOS Shell and Run this following command

Note: First you need to check your pen drive letter name that your computer system shows you after plugging. Here my computer showing me my pen drives letter name e:

Run this cmd >> chkdsk e:/r

It will check the corruption level of disk formation and repair the issues that is finding out

During the repairing process it show you warning message such as “the drive is not a Windows XP drive” that is no issue you can continue repairing procedure by pressing “Y”.

Once it’s done the repairing task, then it will ask you, do you want to save lost chains into files select yes.

Now all repairing process is done now you can see all data in your pen drive

This is very common procedure for resolving this corrupted pen drive problem. In case, through this command you unable to get back your data that means your pen drive is badly corrupted in this situation, I would suggest you try out a professional data recovery application that helps to recover SanDisk pen drive data without any complications. Read this article for getting brief information about this application:  http://www.pendrive-datarecovery.com/sandisk/

TO:  walkerjonnie

Thank You for your response. I WILL keep this on file. Regrettfully, I’ve already discarded the pendrives for I had not found anything that would repair them, and your reply came a bit too late. I hope that anyone else who may be experiencing the problems I had, will see this post and be able to save their pendrives.

Stay Sharp:

Rick

Nice link walkerjohnnie but you forgot to note that the app costs $39 for the Personal version and $99 for the Business version.

http://www.pendrive-datarecovery.com/purchase-pen-drive-recovery-tool.html

It kinda makes your posting seem as SPAM.

HELLO EVERY ON 

HAPPYHOLIDAY  ALL

I HAVE  SANDISC COMPECT /F  I CAN SEE MY PHOTO ON THE CAMERA

I CANT TAKE IT OUT OF  THE  CARD    TO  MY DISCTOP COMPUTER AS WILL

MAY   YOU  HELP ME OUT

SPAM!!

1 Like

Take a look at this link http://www.repaircrashed.com/pen-drive/ it will show you how to avoid corruption issues in pen drive and method to repair the crashed pen drive.

_ EVERYONE: _

I appreciate all who have offered to help me with this issue. I ended up discarding the drives before I got all of the repair information. If you’ll look back through the replies to this post, you’ll note that there were a few who deemed those drives “unrepairable” and I concurred! I will keep those posts that offered repair suggestions and hope that I never again, have to use them (LOL). I’m sure there is valuable information in these posts and I’m just sorry I didn’t get them in time to try to “save” the 2 drives I ditched. Now that the price of secondary/outside/external storage has “skyrocketed” , the information here should prove to be invaluable.

THANX and stay sharp;

Rick

TO: _ johnwalker10 _

Appreciate your reply. I will keep this (and some of the other) post and hope that I never have to employ any of the “fixes” again!:smileyvery-happy: Unfoutunately, I agreed with a few of the posts and discarded the 2 drives…before I received subsequent information, such as yours. I must say, I found it to be a rather extensive, unfruitful endeavor to determine the exact cause and therefore, the exact “fix” for those 2 drives. I have since come to the conclusion that there was something wrong with the O.S. system(Microcrap7) that rendered both of those drive “corrupt”. It was not unusual, as I found out, those reporting similar issues as I had, were using Win7. My conclusion: stay with Linux and/or immediately CONVERT ANY system employing any of the “Windows” O.S’s issued after XP Pro!!! I had used LINUXMINT/Ubuntu for about 5 yrs. prior and NEVER had any of the “issues” I experienced and found reported when I started reading the 'forums" and manufacurer’s sites pertaining to this particular “bug” and almost entirely…all had been employing a Window’s O.S. at the time of their "failure’s/issues arose. I hope that there are others who will take advantage of your response and thus, be able to keep their drives from being dispatched to the local landfill…as I did!

_ THANX _ and stay sharp:

_ Rick _

My Sandisk drive cannot be read as a 3.0 drive an more. Windows reads it as a 2.0 drive but, no longer as a 3.0 drive.  I chatted with Sandisk support and they were absolutely not help (can’t seem to back their product).  They told me to contact microsoft and ask them why their operating system cannot read their drive as 3.0.  I don’t think I could get anywhere with Microsoft and very disappointed that Sandisk was so unhelpful.  This drive has worked well in all my windows operating systems as a 3.0 drive and now can only be read as a 2.0 drive. What can be wrong? What can I do to fix this drive?  

Afternoon _ dannyg10: _

_     _Just a thought…by any chance are you plugging the drive into a 2.0 port? Remember, a 2.0 port will only read/write at the speed of a 2.0 port even if your drive is 3.0.

Rick