Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rfourton

my cruzer was locked read only by system how can i unlock it,it won't format or anything

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Re: my cruzer was locked read only by system how can i unlock it,it won't format or anything

[ Edited ]

What operating system are you running on your PC?

And from a friend named jaclaz:

Can you:

1. try that same stick on another PC
  2. try another stick on that same PC
  3. try that same stick on the same or another PC with another OS (maybe a Linux LiveCD)

This would exclude *any*

OS

or

PC

specific issues and pinpoint the issue "inside" the stick.

With the Cruzer plugged in open a My Computer window and RIGHT click

on the device's drive letter.  Then click on Properties and report what

File System is shown.

To verify the device is read only, in Windows open a Command Prompt and execute:

ECHO Hi, I am echoed to a text file>?:\mynicefile.txt

replacing the ? with the cruser's drive letter.  Post the results shown in the Command Window.

Ed
Dan_Porter_Sand

Re: my cruzer was locked read only by system how can i unlock it,it won't format or anything

I have a 32 GB SanDisk with the same problem. I've used it for 4 months with no problems (17GB out of 32GB) and just this week started this "The disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the protection from the volume in drive G:" I got that very same response to your suggested "ECHO" test. I have a second SanDisk 32GB drive that works just fine. I have tried the drive(s) on both XP and Vista machines. I've tried them both at the same time and separately across many reboots, reinsertions and ejections. It thinks it's "locked"