Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: can't boot [snip]

Post your grub2 menu so we can see what you're working with.

Some boot problems are equipment related; low power, heat, low RAM, conflicting USB devices, maxed out USB hub, oxidized electrical contacts.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

Ed_P, I don't know how much of this thread you've read (I genuinely don't), but it's quite certain if you read through it that the problem here is a bug within the firmware of some of these Ultra Fit 32GB drives, not anything in any particular with the OS or bootloader configuration.

To be sure, I'm able to boot this *exact same* image, a fresh install of Linux Mint, from practically any other thumb drive, using the standard, out of the box, default grub configuration, except for with this Ultra Fit 32GB drive.

The reason I posted was that I got the impression that some people had found a *specific* workaround for the buggy behavior with these Ultra Fit 32GB drives. That's all I'm looking for. I'm not using any non-default grub configuration, it's exactly as-is from a fresh Linux Mint install. I'd love to *know* some non-default grub configuration that would workaround the issue, though. Smiley Happy

SanDisk Guru

I responded to your recent posting mmortal03, the other postings are 2 - 3 yrs old.  Drives manufactured today are not the same as they were 3 yrs ago.

Ed

Thanks for replying. This one is actually one of the older drives from a few years ago, not one I've recently purchased. I've been dealing with the issue for a few years now. Btw, a new finding, it *will* boot up without issue on a Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop, but not on two or more other laptop models that I've tried it on. I don't know what the common denominator is. Could be slower processor machines, or it might be some weird incompatibility with various USB hardware? How might the in-depth explanation that jdb2 gave apply to some machines and not others?

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Different machines = different hardware = different drivers and different states of oxidation, dust, rust, power supply voltage and obsolesence.

Ed

No doubt those things might affect certain situations, but here is how I can rule that sort of stuff out. If I make an image of the Ultra Fit, write that image to another thumb drive, and insert that other drive into the *same* laptops, the problem isn't there. And the Ultra Fit has been doing it from the beginning, so it's not as if the Ultra Fit has oxidized or rusted or what have you and is only now showing the problem -- it always has.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Ok, that eliminates some possibilities. 

If the SanDisk drive works fine other than booting the problem is MBR related.  Are the SanDisk drive and the "another drive" both formated the same way, with the same block alignments and MBR locations?

Ed