Write protected message?

Hi, 

I bought a 4gb cruzer edge for my son for his school work less than a month ago. He has been using it on a windows 7 laptop and a vista pc successfully since. However, last night he had loaded up an assignment and was continuing to work on it, 2 hours worth that had to be in today, and then went to save it again and it would not allow him to, giving the message that the device is write protected. He can open/read the files but cannot save to the stick.

I contacted the support line today but tbh it was quite a bad line and pretty hard work hearing what the girl was saying…had to keep asking her to repeat herself. The result was that she sent me an email with a link to a solution on it …the thing is a. it doesn’t make sense and b. involves backing up registries and changing things on the pc which does not appeal to me at all. 

The reason I say it doesn’t make sense is that the solution involves changing some sort of registry permissions on pc…the permissions have not been changed ever to cause this to happen and as a very non tech person this doesn’t make sense to me at all , ie it worked before on both laptop and pc and now it doesn’t , this indicates a problem with the usb stick not two computers that have not been changed in the last two days since he last used it surely?? 

He spent some time trawling google last night trying to find a solution and saw something that said to reformat the stick but it won’t allow him to, again gives write protected message

Any ideas on how to undo something that as far as we’re aware wasn’t “done” in the first place if you get what I mean

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi,

I had the same problem before, but the solution for that is really registry tweak, you need to change values in the registry to enable saving again, but I’ve tried a lot of those solutions but most of the time none of them works, if the hardware problem is too high , it can’t be recovered anymore even in regedit, the best way is return the device to your seller and ask for replacement if it’s under warranty.

Have a nice day

Hi thanks for answering but that simply doesn’t make sense…how can a memory stick work on all computers then over night it doesn’t?

It doesn’t work on 2 x home pc s and numerous school ones.  The solution is nonsensical to have to change the registry of every computer he wants to use it on surely? I think there is fairly obviously a fault with the stick, and from what I’ve read on here , a pretty common one. :cry:

My daughter has a cheap and cheerful 2gb stick from her primary school that she’s had for 18 months. That works just fine and dandy on all the computers here and at school. 

I think perhaps a trip to Currys is in order as I fortunately still have the receipt …bought it on 28th September so not even a month old :angry:

I have read dozens of useless remedies for this problem with SD card readers. I have found a solution. It is not pretty but it works.

1. In My Computer, right click on the drive letter of your SD card and
  2. Eject it.
  3. Then pull the card out and stick it back in.
  4. Try to write to the card. If it works, GREAT! Proceed with your copying.
  5. If it DIDN’T work, repeat steps 1 through 4.

I have found that I sometimes have to try the process SEVERAL (6-8) times before I can write to the card.

I have found several references on the web to things called WRITE_PROT that lead me to believe that there is a software toggle inside the chip. Here are some lines from one .PDF file I found:

CMD28 SET_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD29 CLR_WRITE_PROT Optional
CMD30 SEND_WRITE_PROT Optional

Those CMDs (I assume CMD stands for “Command” ) are listed in several .PDFs that are too technical for me to fully comprehend. Although I do not have the technical experience to prove it, I believe that this bit or setting is somehow being toggled by some kind of glitch. All I know is that I have been able to repeat my success on getting back write capabilities to my 1GB PNY SD card.

4gb cruzer USB Flash Drive  

@chelle1271 wrote:

Hi, 

I bought a 4gb cruzer edge for my son for his school work less than a month ago. He has been using it on a windows 7 laptop and a vista pc successfully since. However, last night he had loaded up an assignment and was continuing to work on it, 2 hours worth that had to be in today, and then went to save it again and it would not allow him to, giving the message that the device is write protected. He can open/read the files but cannot save to the stick.

I contacted the support line today but tbh it was quite a bad line and pretty hard work hearing what the girl was saying…had to keep asking her to repeat herself. The result was that she sent me an email with a link to a solution on it …the thing is a. it doesn’t make sense and b. involves backing up registries and changing things on the pc which does not appeal to me at all. 

The reason I say it doesn’t make sense is that the solution involves changing some sort of registry permissions on pc…the permissions have not been changed ever to cause this to happen and as a very non tech person this doesn’t make sense to me at all , ie it worked before on both laptop and pc and now it doesn’t , this indicates a problem with the usb stick not two computers that have not been changed in the last two days since he last used it surely?? 

He spent some time trawling google last night trying to find a solution and saw something that said to reformat the stick but it won’t allow him to, again gives write protected message

Any ideas on how to undo something that as far as we’re aware wasn’t “done” in the first place if you get what I mean

Thanks in advance.

I am with these two.  It is $8.00 is not worth this time used to learn about this flash drive.  You should have a yes or no answer for a drive which is write-protected.  Go back to work, or back to China.   I am taking this flash back to the store.

Karen Brooks

You

tell

them

Karen.

:laughing: