Write protected message?

4gb cruzer USB Flash Drive  

@chelle1271 wrote:

Hi, 

I bought a 4gb cruzer edge for my son for his school work less than a month ago. He has been using it on a windows 7 laptop and a vista pc successfully since. However, last night he had loaded up an assignment and was continuing to work on it, 2 hours worth that had to be in today, and then went to save it again and it would not allow him to, giving the message that the device is write protected. He can open/read the files but cannot save to the stick.

I contacted the support line today but tbh it was quite a bad line and pretty hard work hearing what the girl was saying…had to keep asking her to repeat herself. The result was that she sent me an email with a link to a solution on it …the thing is a. it doesn’t make sense and b. involves backing up registries and changing things on the pc which does not appeal to me at all. 

The reason I say it doesn’t make sense is that the solution involves changing some sort of registry permissions on pc…the permissions have not been changed ever to cause this to happen and as a very non tech person this doesn’t make sense to me at all , ie it worked before on both laptop and pc and now it doesn’t , this indicates a problem with the usb stick not two computers that have not been changed in the last two days since he last used it surely?? 

He spent some time trawling google last night trying to find a solution and saw something that said to reformat the stick but it won’t allow him to, again gives write protected message

Any ideas on how to undo something that as far as we’re aware wasn’t “done” in the first place if you get what I mean

Thanks in advance.

I am with these two.  It is $8.00 is not worth this time used to learn about this flash drive.  You should have a yes or no answer for a drive which is write-protected.  Go back to work, or back to China.   I am taking this flash back to the store.

Karen Brooks