Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
uad782

Windows 7 Explorer not showing drive while it shows in computer management

Hi,

I have 3 SanDisk Cruzer thumbdrives which have worked flawlessly up until the other day.  I have 2 windows 7 computers with one computer still reading the drives with no problems while the other computer now sporadically reads them.  The cruzer drives work flawlessly on an XP computer so I know the Cruzers are not broken.

The computer that doesn't read the cruzers still reads my other flash drives such as a Lexar and an older Sandisk 16 GB (2008-9 version) with no problems.  The problem only seems to be with the newer cruzers on this computer.

Looking at computer management the cruzer drives show up in disk drives and portable devices.  In portable devices they show up with the correct letter.  In disk management however they do not show up.  They also do not show up in explorer however if I type the drive letter in  it goes to the drive but it cannot read anything with no files showing.  If I try to create a directory it say the device has been removed.

I have changed the letter of the drive but this does not bring it up in explorer.

The only thing I have done is to connect a  new Samsung Galaxxy 10.1 Tab 2 to this computer and install Kies.  I wonder if this would couse the problem.

Maybe the solution is to buy Lexar?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Re: Windows 7 Explorer not showing drive while it shows in computer management

It is possible the machine having problems has a weak power supply or multiple USB devices attached.

It is also possible the machine's USB port has an oxidized connection.  If so it can be cleaned very gently with a piece of emory paper.

Ed
MacCon

Hi,

I have the same problem, exactly. I'm running windows 7 on a brand new laptop. I installed samsung keis and the storage device still worked, I installed ny HP printer and it still worked but soon after that it stopped neing recongnised in the explorer window but shows in the devices screen.

Could it be that the device is a 32 bit and the my Windows 7 is 64 bit?

Please help!!1

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

"Could it be that the device is a 32 bit and the my Windows 7 is 64 bit?"

Unlikely.  Device drivers come with the OS.  I suspect your problem is multiple devices trying to use the same device letter.  Change the USB drive to something further down the line like U (for USB device) and see if that helps after you reboot.

Ed
Lukasz

Same issue here, I can see Cruzer Fit under disk drives in device manager. (Win 7 x64).

It used to work before I added kies?

WinXP still can see it.

Lukasz

There is some kies interaction with sandisk usb

Quick fix - Open task manager, Kill Kies and Kies agent - now it works!

Kies version 2012-10-11 2,5,12094-28

lurch177

I have a similar issue.  I can't load a 16G cruzer.  It eventually shows up in explorer with a drive letter, but can't access the drive.  Device manager shows the WPD driver associated with the drive letter can't start (code 10).  Computer management hangs when I try to look there.  Killing the Kies trayagent (same version as above) solves the problem.  Interesting thing is that a 4G cruzer works fine with the Kies agent running.  Going to research this some more.

dave229

Same problem with new Windows 7 64-bit computer. Not recognizing the kies program abbreviation, pulled up task manager and could see nothing similar. Suggestions?

SanDisk User
millitaryman69

Massive thanks Lukasz, I was having the same problem and killing the Kies processes fixed it for me. Tearing my hair out, because it works totally fine in a different PC! Samsung strikes again :smileysad:

laglenn63

I am having the exact same problem after installing Kies on one of my laptops window 7 .on my other laptop window 7 no issue t . I uninstalled kies and now it works again. For me I need Kies so I will just buy sony humbdrives for now on. (( PS the older version Sandisk does work with kies.)) I spent hours and hours trying to figure out how to make the 8 g sandisk work with samsung Kies but could not let me know if you figure it out. Thanks

Glenn

laglenn63@yahoo.com