SanDisk Guru

Re: Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

kjh wrote:

You guys have thousands of posts on a forum for flash drives and don't actually work for Sandisk?  

Yeah--awesome, isn't it?    Smiley Wink

This is kinda bull**bleep**, sandisk seems to ignore this issue and seems ok with it.

I bought a 128GB thumb drive to be used in my "mini-nas" but that seemed like a no go.

Started transferring files from my old server to new server onto the sandisk thumb drive and after like 20-30sec, the copy process just stopped. First I thought it was some other issue but then I noticed how insanely hot the thumb drive was. Found by various forum threads that the drive kinda disconnects after copying large files but small files (and not too many) worked ok.

Saw some replies from sandisk representatives that the heat isnt an issue and I decided to proove them wrong.

Here´s my "ghetto modded" thumb drive

http://imgur.com/a/V9xd4

Now it works and I have no issues with the thumb drive disconnecting when reading or copying files.

Thought id share it if anyone have any use for the info.

You're going to simply have to use the drive with a USB 2 port. The USB power draw is limited when connected to the 2.0 interface, and thus does not get nearly as hot.

Of course, read and transfer performance takes a hit, but its the safest way to use the drive. Might as well return it.

@deebs: Your mod has proven that the overheat issue impacted the drive's performance (which has been suspected by many of posters here). In one hand, this solves the overheat issue while in other hand, it might against the purpose of people buying this tiny USB stick.

@negusp: I had the same experience that the drive works well under USB 2.0... but this against the purpose of buying a USB 3.0 drive (speed concern).

I just received my Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128GB Flash Drive with great excitement.

On package: SDCZ43-128G-Q46 and 80-56-14876-128G

On Flash Drive: BP160525497D and SDCZ43

I inserted my new Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128GB Flash Drive into my HP Pavilion Desk Top

and began copying my music and video files to it. I reached down to remove it

and it burnt my finger and left a blister. WTF ???? 

I'm 65 years old and have been in the computer industry for 35 years.

How can any company release such a flawed piece of technology.

This drive, in my opinion, should not be sold. They can cause USB port damage.

They should be recalled and replaced with safe units.

Sandisk, you burned my fingers and created blisters. There is no warning regarding

a burn hazard and handling instructions on your packaging.

I plugged your product into a 2.0 USB as instructed and I was burned.

Sandisk please contact me.

I just received my Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128GB Flash Drive with great excitement.
On package: SDCZ43-128G-Q46 and 80-56-14876-128G
On Flash Drive: BP160525497D and SDCZ43
I inserted my new Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128GB Flash Drive into my HP Pavilion Desk Top
and began copying my music and video files to it. I reached down to remove it
and it burnt my finger and left a blister. WTF ????
I'm 65 years old and have been in the computer industry for 35 years.
How can any company release such a flawed piece of technology.
This drive, in my opinion, should not be sold. They can cause USB port damage.
They should be recalled and replaced with safe units.
Sandisk, you burned my fingers and created blisters. There is no warning regarding
a burn hazard and handling instructions on your packaging.
I plugged your product into a 2.0 USB as instructed and I was burned.
Sandisk please contact me.

[ Edited ]

"I plugged your product into a 2.0 USB as instructed and I was burned."

Are you sure it wasn't a USB3.0 port? Mine's been running reliably and less than blistering hot since I stopped using a USB 3.0 port for it.

...and this is a user's forum, fat chance that Sandisk will reply here - especially on this product LOL.

It says USB 3.0 which I assume means designed to use in a USB 3.0 port. Backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

my computer has 2.0 on the front - even in a TV USB port or Andriod TV box this thing burns too hot for reality.

but thank you for your feedback

Well, if you think it gets hot in a USB2.0 port you'd freak at how hot it gets in a USB3.0 port LOL. It gets so hot that it shuts down after a couple minutes of being written to. I can't beleive it didn't burn up but it'll start working again after cooling down.