Re: Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

I just purchased a 128GB Ultra Fit and it overheats and disconnects when used with a HooToo USB 3.0 hub.

So I tried it with a USB 3.0 extension cable and it also gets too hot to touch, but I don't think my transfer went long enough to have it disconnect. I'm going to try it with my laptop's port after it cools down.

It's pretty ridiculous this product is being sold with this problem.

Reading and Writing to the Ultra Fit on my Acer laptop didn't have any disconnects, but the metal part did get really hot.

Maybe the USB hub is providing TOO much power?

Since I bought this mostly for my laptop I won't be returning it since it doesn't seem to be affected by the disconnection problems.

I bought the SanDisk USB OTG 64GB thumbdrive, it feels hot at the USB connector, but not as hot as Verbatim 64GB Thumbdrive,

The Verbatim branded thumbdrive get really hot(whole body is aluminium) even if plugged into smartphone after prolonged use.

I guess it's pretty normal for small thumbdrive gets hot, because of smaller heat dissipating area.

I installed a live Linux distro (Knoppix) on those. It is the first time in ten years that a USB drive kills two of my computers. Not the same flash drive, but two units of the same Ultra Fit 3.0 model (32 GB). Not buying again.

SanDisk Guru

Killed the computer? Or is the USB drive is dead? These are retail drives not really designed to have an OS running from and from your other posts you state the computers are for research purposes. Depending on the workload you ahve running on these machines (data logging especially) you may simply be wearing the drives out. 

SanDisk Guru

Depending on the workload you ahve running on these machines (data logging especially) you may simply be wearing the drives out. 

Especially if the drives are formatted as ext3, ext4 or ntfs.

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

I never heard of flash drives "killing" a PC. There might be a fatal short in the USB port you should check out. For daily use, use a total in-RAM OS like Porteus or Puppy which are specifically designed to minimize USB access and markedly extend the life of flash drives. You can install Mint or Fedora or Ubuntu but I'd limit their use on flash drives to just occasional although this flash wear-and-tear issue is almost arbitrary since memory has improved such that flash lifetimes and incidents of developing corrupted cells is measured in years with "normal" daily use. Only real-world feedback on this can tell the story.

Jim in NYC

[ Edited ]

Hello

I have just bought the 32 gb Ultra fit

And came to this forum by searching ultrafit exesive heat after transfering 5 1,5 gb files first through a usb port, then through a USB 3 hub. 

I think it is too hot indeed

And now that I have read all I really want to ask you if it could damage my computer (???)

Maybe I should just return it

BUT It is really not comfortable for me as I bought it on a trip

I hope it can get fixed or changed

Thanks everybody

PS 

I have to say it clear It is not just a little warmer

it is VERY VERY hot

SanDisk Guru

If it is in a USB hub I don't see how it could damage your computer.  Can we assume when you're not copying large files to it it runs cooler?

Ed
Important files = Backed up files

I can concur. My 128Gb Ultra Fit runs too hot as well. To the point where it begins to disconnect and reconnect constantly. The only solution is to cool the drive down and resume operations. However it only takes around 5 minutes of copying before it begins to exhibit problems.

I've tried blowing cool air regularly into my USB hub and it appears to remove the disconnect issue, which clearly shows that this is a heat issue.

I've tried the drive in both a USB hub and directly on the ports on my motherboard. They both cause it to fail eventually.

Not good Sandisk. Perhaps I got a faulty drive - I hope so - otherwise that's just poor design and testing.