Ultra Fit USB 3.0: Excessive Heat

@Chin:-

Well, well, well. Yet another long-running thread about an unresolveable problem… :smileyvery-happy:

I went through the ‘write-protect’ saga with the Cruzer Blades. I still maintain they’re good little drives for the price, as long as you don’t try to use them to extremes.

As for the Ultra Fits…yeah, the little buggers do run hot, it’s true. But even in a USB 2.0 port, the transfer speed is nothing short of astonishing. And in a USB 3.0, it climbs into the stratosphere…

I’ve got 2 of the 32 GB models. I’ve got at least 3, if not 4, of the 64 GB models. And in the last year, I’ve splashed out on 3 of the 128 GB jobs, too. (These latter three are formatted to ext3; one is used as a miniature NAS in our router, and the other two are used as permanent ‘external storage’ in a 15-yr old Dell Inspiron laptop running ‘Puppy’ Linux. They’re not used for system stuff - although Pup’s mode of operation keeps system read/writes to an absolute minimum anyway (it’s one of these distros that runs totally in RAM, and only writes config/settings to the flash drive periodically) - but simply for data storage, to supplement the 64GB SSD ‘upgrade’ that hosts Pup itself.

I’ve tried these in FAT; ex-FAT, and also NTFS, in addition to Linux formats. Even BTRFS. Doesn’t matter what format you run 'em under, they will get very hot. One of the other posters, several pages back, hit it on the head when he/she stated about the laws of physics prevailing; cramming an enormous number of transistors into a teeny space, the heat produced has got to go somewhere. And in this case it’s the miniscule metal shell…which, let’s be fair about this, does do its best to try and dissipate that heat, despite having its work cut out from the ‘get-go’! :confounded:

The QC guys must have determined these weren’t going to get hot enough to cause major problems…although joeydee’s pictures don’t exactly inspire confidence, do they???

(I also have a Cruzer ‘Fit’ (the 16 GB model)…which runs as cool as a cucumber. Through I would dispute that those tiny ‘cut-outs’ have got very much to do with it…it’s simply due to a much lower transistor count.)

The news about the far higher power-draw is enlightening, too… :dizzy_face: And a printed warning on the packaging that heat production may occur regularly would go a long way to help matters…bearing in mind that high transistor count AND the astonishing performance.

Ah, well. Carry on regardless!

Mike. :wink: