Ultra Fit 32 GB USB 3.0 - not working, excessively hot & now my USB 3.0 ports don't work anymore!

Hi

I just unwrapped a brand new SanDisk Ultra Fit 32 GB USB 3.0 flash drive and plugged it into one of my USB 3.0 ports on my Samsung laptop.

Nothing happened. No notifications. No hardware detected or driver installation. Nothing. I looked in My Computer (Win 8) and it wasn’t listed.

More worringly, after 60 seconds or so the drive was HOT to the touch - so I removed it, fearing it would damage my computer.

I tested it on an old computer’s USB 2.0 ports and the Ultra Fit works 100% no problems. I then plugged it into my Samsung laptop’s USB 2.0 ports and again it works 100%.

I also tried plugging in my Western Digital external hard drive, which is known to be working (i use it daily) to the USB 3.0 ports (as I always do) and it doesn’t work either. USB 2.0 is fine.

In Device Manager the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller has a yellow flag icon, and showed “Code 43: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems”.

Following the guidelines, I uninstalled the USB host and reinstalled it, and now it says “This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.”

I am SO angry with Sandisk at this point. Please can someone advise the best course of action.

Im having the exact same problem! the level of overheat is ridiculous

returning the device should work, but instead of that i would expect a proactive solution from sandisk to the affected users instead of asking us to do all the work!

@zlorf

I also tried plugging in my Western Digital external hard drive, which is known to be working (i use it daily) to the USB 3.0 ports (as I always do) and it doesn’t work either. USB 2.0 is fine.

!!!  Something is wrong with your USB 3 port.  How your FIT could cause that I have no idea.  If you look at the contacts on the FIT do any appear to be bent?  Same check with the pc’s port, any bent?  USB 3 devices use a different contact configuration than USB 2 devices so that can explain why things work in USB 2 ports and not USB 3 ones but not how the FIT could damage a USB 3 port.

When you find out what happened please update us.

@n4hum

i would expect a proactive solution from sandisk to the affected users

How do you expect SanDisk to know you bought a device?  How do you expect SanDisk to know your name, your address, your email address? How do you expect SanDisk to know you are having a problem with the device?  How do you know you don’t have a conterfeit device?

us to do all the work!

All the work?  Completing the RMA form and mailing the device is a lot of work for you?

You are obviously having a problem, I don’t disagree.  The device should not be overheating.  But the solution is to r e t u r n it.  It is what you would do if you bought a bad pc, tv, phone, car, coat, etc.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5232/~/return-material-authorization-(rma)-process

I have the same problem as @zlorf does. But with SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash drive. I’ve tried  it on many computers with USB 3.0 port, but it didn’t work. And yeah, it was overheating somehow and it was too hot to touch. But the USB was totally fine with USB 2.0 ports.

I didn’t do  the _ “completing the RMA form and mailing the device” _ thing as @Ed_P was saying, but I did return it back to the store where I bought it, and they gave me the same but another SanDisk ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive. And guess what, it was no good with USB 3.0 ports. Same problem, I’ve on 3 PCs, and non of them have detected any removable device. And the USB was also overheating.

At this point, @n4hum is right about asking SanDisk for solution. I thought that only I was having this problem, but looks like other people are face the same problem. I do trust and SanDisk products, but after this cases… not really sure.

P.S. @Ed_P Who knows, maybe all PCs with USB 3.0 ports in the library of my university have problems with ports.

P.S.S. Indeed, @n4hum is right. But it’s more about spending our free time on doing that work rather than the work itself.