Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
KmtKush

USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

I have purchased several SanDisk USB Flash Drives and this is the first one that shows up as a LOCAL DISK (and not as a REMOVABLE DISK).  When I attempt to copy a file to the drive in Windows Media Player (Windows 7) the "Start syc" option is grayed out and I am unable to copy to the USB Flash Drive. Can any body help me with this?

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Re: USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

If you use Windows Explorer can you copy the file to the USB drive?

Ed
darlek

Ed I am having a similar problem,

I am trying to use a SanDisk Cruzer Glide to pull an image off of a Wyse thin client.

The problem I am running into is that Windows does not see this drive as a removeable drive; so the Wyse USB tool won't work.

Does SanDisk have a utility which can be used to tweak the firmware?

From what I am readying MS may have be requiring that flash drives have the removeable bit set to '0' to be compliant with Windows 8.

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

Does SanDisk have a utility which can be used to tweak the firmware?

Good news, bad news.   Bad news 1st, no there is no utility to change the firmware.  Good news, SanDisk has stopped making the flash drives appear as Fixed.

Ed
darlek

Thanks Ed,

Glad to see that this problem won't be around for long.

RussL

So basically, I just purchased a defective usb flash drive.  The reason I bought it is because I've been using a 4gb cruz (my daughter's) and it's been working flawlessly to write boot images on.  This one isn't recognized as a removable disk, so there goes 90% of usb utilities out there.

A sandisk bit flip utility should be in the works.  We are intering the age of solid state hard drives afterall, changing their removable media status makes flash storage more versatile.

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

so there goes 90% of usb utilities out there

If the 90% of USB utilities were still being maintained and supported they would get updated to support the new Windows 8 standard.  Blame the unsupported USB utility creators but not the ones who have graduated, they're in universarity now. :smileywink:

Ed
MarkF48

I've just run into this with a couple of recently purchased 16GB Cruzer pen drives. First thing I noticed was they were extremely slow transfering files compare to older sticks I have and today while using them I noticed they had acquired a Recycled and System Volume Information folder and they do indeed show up as fixed drives in Computer Management. It's bad enough these don't install as removable media , but what concerns me is I purchased these to be used with some music equipment I have that uses USB drives for data storage and transfer to and from my PC. I haven't yet tried these sticks with the music gear, but I'm extremely concerned about reliable functioning of these sticks for data storage in that gear. Nothing on the site where I bought them or on the packaging indicated they were for Win8 or otherwise. I've got a feeling these will be returned to the retailer as defective if I can't find a quick fix. I am kind of a dinosaur as I'm still using reliable WinXP sp3, but then again so are many others.

SanDisk Guru
Ed_P

I'm still using reliable WinXP sp3, but then again so are many others.

Just remember Win XP's Microsoft support ends April of this year and usually when that happens apps from other vendors start dropping their support also.

I've got a feeling these will be returned to the retailer as defective if I can't find a quick fix.

AFAIK There is no fix, quick or slow, so start planning the return.

Ed
john_r

Has anybody tried Zotac WinUSB Maker

to make the computer recognize the Sandisk Cruzer Glide 8gb as a removable media?  I'm trying to get this flash drive to work with Acronis  for a bootable media.

John Rich