USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

[ Edited ]

HI my Flash Drive SDCZ50-032G BM 14Untitled.jpg02248418   showing up as LOCAL DISK  and i can't burn windows 7 to usb 

Re: USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

[ Edited ]

Hi folks,

Read the forum,- pity the bit can't be flipped but there you go. Spent an hour clearing the "Local Disk" for the Win 10 Media Creation Tool. Just for anyone out there,- don't bother- it won't be picked up  Hmm, upside is you can format the disk as NFTS. Smiley Happy

And lo and behold, in the year 2017, when trying to make a Lenovo USB Recovery drive because the Acronis we have doesn't see NVMe SSDs, I pull out a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer SDCZ36-064G that we bought a while back and am graced with this nonsense.

Thanks for the thread and the laughs, no thanks for somehow being the only manufacturer still seeing the majority of these issues . This was an industry-wide decision right? Like an entire industry listened to MS's silly Windows 8 lead here? Why's the ratio seem so skewed toward one company?

Evening usit:

The following did the trick...try it.       On "Windows" open file explorer and tik "this PC". You should see your pendrive shown...right click on it....then 'properties > hardware..again tik you pendrive > properties > change settings (at bottom) > policies tik "better perfomance".   Restart comp for changes to take effect!  This worked for my Sandisk pendrives!!!  Hope it does for you too.  Ahm...do you have any idea how I could post this for ALL to see?

Rick

[ Edited ]

Rick's (Rixter above) solution did NOT work for me on an old SanDisk Cruzer Glide 8GB.  This USB Drive still shows up as a Local Disk in Windows 10 and does not show up in UNetBootin to create a USB bootable version of PartedMagic.  This occurs even after setting the Boot Flag property with GParted.

A different SanDisk Cruzer 16GB shows up as a USB Drive and works fine with UNetBootin.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Note:  While my old SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB flash drive is listed as type "Local Disk" in Windows 10 Explorer, nevertheless Rufus was able to create a bootable  drive out of it from a Parted Magic iso file.  Macrium Reflect also created a bootable rescue disk from it, and I expect Windows 10 itself would create one as well.  So my problem was that UNetBootin simply did not recognize a USB drive if it appeared as type "Local Disk".  I submitted this as an issue (#155) to the UNetBootin GitHub repository.