USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

The market wants USB drives that support flipping the “removable” bit with a utility.

Then always buy USB drives 16 GB and smaller and you’ll have no problem flipping the bit.

In five to ten years, if history is any kind of a guide, 128GB or 256GB sized single partition USB memory sticks might be laughably trivial in comparison with the needs of the ‘market’.

Oh I don’t think it will be that long before USB devices are phased out.  SanDisk already has wireless drives out.  USB drives are going the way of floppy and CD and DVD drives.

And I guess there’s no reason to play any cards close to the vest at this point is there? There are several existing programs out there on the market that will partition a USB Removable Disk, no problem. And there are OS’s that will recognize all of the partitions on that Removable Disk, no problem.

Yes, Linux and gparted and etc have been around for a long time.  10 yrs ago there was big talk about Linux growing and dominating the world.  You’ve seen how that has gone.  Don’t get me wrong, I’ve used Linux and even have a Linux system on this netbook that I boot frequently but Linux is still a small portion of the pc world.  But there are others that are growing, some of which didn’t even exist 10 yrs ago; OS X, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc.

The bottom line, the world is changing, the market is changing, change is inevitable, change is life.  No more CRT monitors, no more 20 lb desktop machines, soon no more removable drives.  :-)