USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

@ed_p wrote:

Manufacturers supporting the Windows 8 to Go standard include Kingston, Imation, Western Digital and others.

Yeah I thought something similar to this as well. Not wanting to be burned again, I started looking around to research all of the USB stick manufacturers who also got on board with this. Since the complaints for the Sandisk are right at the top of any internet search for this problem, I expected the same for any and all major competitors. I couldn’t find even a single example of anybody else producing a USB stick that comes up as a Fixed Disk instead of the expected Removable Disk. Not one (thankfully). Not Kingston, not Toshiba (Imation and others…), not Corsair, or Adata. It was only when I probed much deeper that I finally found one other stick likewise produced with the defect; by someone called Centon, a company I’ve never heard of, I suspect for good reason.

@ed_p wrote:

I think you will find that; 1. “Removable” USB drives will fade away, like floppy disks.  And 2. Apps that want to continue being used with USB drives will be fixed to handle the new format.

An interesting remark to make considering that Sandisk has already abandoned the defect. Sorry Microsoft: But I will one day need something larger than a 40MB sized harddrive; I will want to actually play games on my PC; And no, 640k RAM is not “enough”. I won’t try to match that kind of arrogance about what people will want and/or need to use in the future with my own predictions. RIGHT NOW, a lot of people need and expect a USB memory stick to be a Removable Disk. That will not change because Microsoft dictates it based on God-only-knows what delusions are swirling around in their own heads. That will change because the market dictates it and only then.