USB Flash Drive showing up as LOCAL DISK

This appears to be a stale thread, will Sandisk take these defective flash drives back? There was no indication on the package that they are not normal removable USB flash drives. I got them cheap, I suppose I can just give them away to people who only have VERY basic needs, but as someone in the IT field, I need my flash drives to work properly as an official removable device. These are useless to me.

SanDisk really screwed up here, as did Microsoft with their logo certification requirements. Ultimately though, it’s Sandisks fault for not providing a utility that can flip the bit and allow this device to work as a normal removable drive and the goofy non-standard Microsoft mode. Even more so that they sold these without clear disclosure that they ONLY operate in this non-standard fixed disk mode.

it’s Sandisks fault for not providing a utility that can flip the bit and allow this device to work as a normal removable drive

They use a totally different chip set in these drives.  It’s not as simple as flipping a bit. 

If the device doesn’t work for you, return it.  Either to where you bought it or to SanDisk.

OK, I’ll re-phrase. It’s SanDisk’s fault for releasing a product that could only be used in one way rather than a product that could be configured to operate in either the standard removable mode or the brain damaged Windows 8 certification mode.

Hopefully they have learned from this.

They released/built a product to meet Microsoft’s specifications.  Being able to switch modes is not a part of Microsoft’s specs.  Do you know of any vendors of USB drives able to switch modes and meet Microsoft’s Windows 8 to Go certification?

Hopefully they have learned from this.

Apparently they did, they are not manufacturing these anymore. 

I’m glad that Sandisk is no longer manufacturing these flash drives.

However, I was one of the unlucky few that purchased one of these sandisk flash drives which came with the removable bit set to 0.

This causes my flash drive to appear as a local disk drive (essentially an external hard drive to the OS) and as a result this flash drive doesn’t work with some software specifically written to work with flash drives (like Microsoft’s own Windows 7 USB Download tool).

My question is

Is Sandisk now manufacturing the Sandisk Extreme flash drive (which I purchased in the link above) as a normal removable flash drive which has the removable bit set to 1?

Can those who bought one of these flash drives exchange their flash drive for an identical one which has the removable bit set to 1?

OR

Will SanDisk release a firmware update which sets the removable bit to 1 so my flash drive can function as a normal flash drive?

I would much rather prefer to update the firmware on my flash drive to make it a normal flash drive if possible.

However if none of this is possible then I guess I will have to return my flash drive to amazon. I would still like to purchase this flash drive assuming Sandisk fixes this problem.

Thanks.

Is Sandisk now manufacturing the Sandisk Extreme flash drive (which I purchased in the link above) as a normal removable flash drive which has the removable bit set to 1?

I think so.

Can those who bought one of these flash drives exchange their flash drive for an identical one which has the removable bit set to 1?

Possibly

Will SanDisk release a firmware update which sets the removable bit to 1 so my flash drive can function as a normal flash drive?

No.

:wink:

Right - to meet MICROSOFT’s non-standard behavior - behavior that is at odds with how the USB removable drive system has worked since the begining of the USB standard. Creating a drive that does NOT adhear to the original standard SHOULD have contained a disclaimer that the drive is NON STANDARD. Failure to include in BIG BOLD LETTERS that the drive is NON-STANDARD is downright corporate stupidity. Failing to design it to operate in either STANDARD mode and MS Broken Windows 8 Mode is grossly negligent.

Unfortunately, SanDisk is STILL SELLING this defective inventory they have, without any disclaimers. This is unethical.

I’m sure this won’t get through to a corporate schill however.

Is there a way to differentiate between the two version?
I want to make sure that I buy the “correct” one.

*sigh* I have just ended up buying one of these defective sticks that it seems SanDisk are now covertly offloading from their stock. This has been very dissappointing and even a bit embarrassing as I’ve always been a vocal supporter of SanDisk USB sticks and only bought this brand. So now I’m needing to buy another stick as this one I’ve been saddled with just can’t do the job. Does anybody know if there is any way whatsoever to tell if the SanDisk USB drive is one of the defective ones or not, before purchase? Is there a list of known defective types? I’ve actually had to swallow some pride and look at some of SanDisk’s competitor’s drives so atleast I can be sure of what I’m getting. I’d rather avoid that. Does anybody know if any of the SanDisk 128GB drives were also defectively manufactured? If that is known with absolutey certainty, I may just have to splurge on one of those.

Just to be clear, the Fixed format was not a defect.  It was made to conform with Microsoft’s new Windows to Go requirement.  When it was found to not be that popular SanDisk stopped making them.  Stores and other vendors may have them still in stock but SanDisk doesn’t control that.

If you look for devices that don’t mention Windows 8 I would think you would be ok. 

Ed, I’ve never seen a Windows 8 logo on any of the SanDisk listings in Amazon, and there certainly isn’t one for the 64gb stick I bought. Do you know if this defect, for lack of a more apt description, made its way into any of the 128gb sized SanDisk USB sticks? If I could have that assurance that it did not, I think I will pull the trigger on the 128gb version. But that is a pretty nice little chunk of cash to thrown down. I really don’t want to be surprised or disappointed. I can’t find anything on the SanDisk websites. It would be nice to have that assurance. If I can’t get it, I think I will have to go to a competitor. I’ve got some projects that can maybe wait a bit longer, but eventually have to move forward. And I need a Removable USB Disk for that work to get done.

I don’t know ouflak.  I do know that if I buy something that doesn’t work I return it to where I bought it an get my money back.  I’m reasonable sure that Amazon would support that and worst case a SanDisk RMA would.  So I don’t think money is the issue so much as time.  And we do what we do to get the job done, on time.

Good luck with your decision.

@ed_p wrote:

Just to be clear, the Fixed format was not a defect.  It was made to conform with Microsoft’s new Windows to Go requirement.  When it was found to not be that popular SanDisk stopped making them.  Stores and other vendors may have them still in stock but SanDisk doesn’t control that.

Or SanDisk could do what other major manufacturers have done: offer a utility that allows the users to flip the “removable” bit.

Yes, years ago when flash drive technology was simpler they could be changed by flipping a bit.  Welcome to the 21st century, technology has changed, these drives were totally different than the run of the mill flash drives.  More than a bit was different.

@ed_p wrote:

Yes, years ago when flash drive technology was simpler they could be changed by flipping a bit.  Welcome to the 21st century, technology has changed, these drives were totally different than the run of the mill flash drives.  More than a bit was different.

I am quite familiar with the state of the technology, thank you very much.

I also know that the removable media bit has nothing to do with it, other than identifying the drive to the Windows OS as either fixed or removable for the purposes of partitioning, autorun, etc.

If you have any information that supports your tirade above (idle speculation does not qualify) do post it here.

Best regards,

Alex.

Good, then you also know that there are filters that can be used to make a drive appear as removable or fixed, so why don’t you use one of them?  I’m referring to r dummy.sys and dummydisk.sys drivers.

Reviewing this thread may help you:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/69211-a-multiple-partition-usb-stick-with-multi-boot-os/page-3

Is there any way to know with certainty that none of the 128 GB USB disks have this defect? If not, I’ve got to pull the trigger on some solution pretty much now. Thanks!

Ed: I went through your link, but it only indirectly states what has been confirmed here: That you can only flip the necessary bit if that has been made physically accessible, which has been shown to not be the case with these defective USB disks. Thanks anyway.

Is there any way to know with certainty that none of the 128 GB USB disks have this defect?

Not that I am aware of, which doesn’t mean there isn’t. If you buy from a reputable source, one that supports the customer satisfaction concept, if you have a problem they will allow you to exchange the device(s).  If you buy randonly on the 'net you may not have that option.

Well that’s the thing isn’t it? Even if it’s a ‘reputable source’, how are they supposed to know which USB drive is which? They could just innocently *shrug* and trade what I sent back for just another one in their stock without any better clue than anybody else on whether it’s defective or not. This clearly is time (and emotional investment) that I cannot waste. So I have had to go to one of SanDisk’s competitors. Hope the thing lasts long enough for me to get some good use out of it (SanDisk is particularly noted for its longevity and reliability). And hopefully when the time comes for me to buy a 256GB, all of the defective SanDisk stock will have been plied out to owners who don’t need the particular traits of a Removable USB disk. I’ll be reading a lot of reviews to find out as much as I can beforehand. Sad that SanDisk won’t simply come forward and straighten all of this out. I guess it would be just too embarrasing for them to acknowledge that they hedged their bets with yet another flopped Microsoft product, especially in light of the fact that no other manufacturer appears to have made the same goofball decision.

I think you will find that; 1. “Removable” USB drives will fade away, like floppy disks.  And 2. Apps that want to continue being used with USB drives will be fixed to handle the new format.

Manufacturers supporting the Windows 8 to Go standard include Kingston, Imation, Western Digital and others.