SanDisk Guru

Re: ULTRA FIT 32GIG USB DOESNT PLAY IN CAR

when you say that you fried 2 computers... is the USB drive dead or is the computer actually damaged? I have a few of these drives and they do get a little hot but I keep them plugged in all the time and it has never done anything to my computer. Also this thread has nothing to do with your post so start a new thread. Hijacking someone else thread is not helpful to anyone. 

The USB subsystem of two computers is dead. The flash drives were always connected, serving as main storage so there are constant writes. The heat issue may be nominal if this is mom's photo backup, but my case is different. This scenario lasted a week. I change flash drives every two years, before they fail. No flash drive has failed in ten years before I schedule a change.

SanDisk Guru

if you are using constant writes this is not the drive you should be using. This drive is not a write intensive product. it is not even a professional level product. You probably simply wore the drive out. 

Brm

Hi!

I've also having troubles with my new Sandisk Extreme 16GB. Car stereo is made by Sony.

I'm not yet sure if problem is stereo or USB drive, but after reading this forum, i'm starting to think it's

USB.

Car stereo says "Not supported". I find it odd, these drives should be standard stuff. Previous

stick works quite ok, it is DeLocks's very small stick, also 16GB. It works nicely while Sandisk's

won't.

I've started dealing with problem by first trying to do Sandisk stick identical to DeLocks.

They're both FAT32, 32k cluster, and diskpart in windows 7 reports them being same by attributes

and partition data (1 primary partition). Sandisk has little bit larger LBA, so I tried shrinking partition to

match DeLocks; no luck. For formatting. i always used win7 own format tool, nothing else.

There's possiblity that Sony has some hardcoded list of "compatible devices" and it refuses all else.

Theres one notable difference, dispart says Delock is "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device" and

Sandisk is "SanDisk Extreme USB Device". Maybe headunit checks this string?

It's hardcoded in stick, right? Another likely scenario is that it won't work because it's USB3 device

(stereo fails to make stick fall back to usb2 mode)

I'd like to know if this is possible to make this stick work in car stereo.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

Brm wrote:

Another likely scenario is that it won't work because it's USB3 device

(stereo fails to make stick fall back to usb2 mode)

This very well could be the case. You could open a support ticket with sony to see if there are any known issues with USB 3 devices. 

That said the issue in this thread was isolated to the cruzer Ultra fit. It was a FW problem IIRC and sandisk is replacing the Cruzer Fit devices that had the issue. 

Another possible reason could be how the drive is identified. SanDisk had some Extreme USB 3 drives that are identified as a local disk. Is your extreme identified as a Local drive or removable drive? If it is local drive (Fixed drive) this could possibly cause it not to work in the car stereo. 

Brm

Thx drlucky for reply, and sorry for response taking so long!

I don't think I wanna take this issue with Sony. Stereo is pretty old, 2008 device

anyway. I bought new Pioneer car stereo 2 years ago and I was surprised that 2013 device

still fails play files in alphabetical order and rather decides to play them in the order they are

present on FAT.

As a result, I dont trust car manufacturers in general to be able to build quality devices, much simpler

solution is to use 'random' car stereo as a slave and stream music from mobile device instead.

mp3 cabale players have been in market a decade now and still they manage to sell such rubbish.

My flashdrive is listed as 'Removable' (apparently same as fixed?) in  diskpart.

For me problem sort of solved..I have Alpine and indicated error.

I partitioned my '64 gb SanDisk Ultra Dual USB Drive 3.0' into smaller parts via BOOTICE in FAT32. All good! it recognises & plays all songs.

[ Edited ]

Hi i got the scan disk ultra slim 128GB i finally figured out how to get it to work the problem is it has to be formatted to fat32 then the car radio can read them just fine you can format it using the program called  easeUS partition master   Just download the free version it works finer hen transfer music and it works in my 2009 Sony Xplod car radio  good luck 

are u sure this method work? because i have the ultra flair 64gb and it's not working to the sony cdx car player, it said "USB not supported" with the format exfat. But i will give em try ur method change to fat32. Thank You Smiley Happy

Spoiler

[ Edited ]

At last my ultrafit 32gig is working with my car audio, pioneer.

I initialized the USB and create a new primary partition

And then format it for FAT32  

What I did was,

1. using diskpart (be CAREFUL when you do something with diskpark not to erase the other disks)

1) list disk

2) sele disk (### of your usb disk)

3) clean

4) create part primary

2. Format USB as FAT32 with Windows Explore

I am not sure it will also work for others.