Strange issue with Extreme USB 3.0

This has been a problem that has boggled me for quite some time.

My Extreme USB 3.0 flashdrive is totally not detectable by the USB3 ports on either my desktop (W7/W10) (front panel) or personal laptop (W7) or even my work laptop (W10).

The little blue light comes on when it’s plugged in but that’s all it does. No Windows device prompt or anything. Nothing in Disk Management/Device Manager (as far as I can tell)/File Explorer.

The only way I can get it to be detected and work is to connect it to an external (unpowered) USB 2.0 hub and then plug the hub to any port. The flashdrive itself otherwise works perfectly fine. Other USB3 flashdrives from other brands work fine on the same ports.

Nothing wrong with my various systems or ports either since other peripherals have zero problems with them.

there are additional pins that are required for connection on USB 3. If there is a problem with these pins it is possible the drive would not be recognized on a USB 3 port but would still work on USB 2 ports. if you are having the issue with all USB 3 ports it is likely a issue with the USB 3 pins on the drive. In that case it would need to be replaced. Contact sandisk support to check the warranty status of the drive. 

I can’t recall which port one of my colleagues used but he was able to access the drive without issue on his MBP. I’ll have to find another computer to check again.

PARANOIA, do you get a Windows error msg saying it doesn’t recognize the device plugged in? 

I’ve experienced that Windows error msg recently.  I found that I had to make sure the flash drive is plugged ALL the way in when I plug it in.  If there is a small gap between the plastic of the flash drive and the plastic of the pc case it doesn’t work.

I never had that problem with any of my SanDisk drives and my older machines but I do with my new Dell.  

Hi Ed,

There’s no error message of any sort. The drive is pushed in all the way and the little blue LED on the flashdrive itself turns on but the device is still not detected on the system.

I just tested it again on a Macbook Air and it isn’t detected there either.

Hi PARANOIA,

Find the machine that recognizes the drive, copy all the files off of it, including any that are in SecureAccess.  Delete all the files and folders on it then remove it and return it.  Something is not right with the drive. 

I’ll just back up my stuff using USB2.0 (which works) and I’ll figure out how I can get a replacement where I am.

Thanks for your helpful advice! :slight_smile: